I'll preface this review by saying this was our first time at any Club Med so I won't be able to compare to other Club Meds. If you are a Club Med newbie like me, let me say this: you'll need to "drink the kool aid" to get into it- but do it! We had a ball! Club Med is a bit of a meld between an 80's adult summer camp experience and all inclusive resort. What impressed us about this experience was how hard-working the GO's are (these guys are the best part of the experience!), how friendly everyone is, how much they love their group activities and parties and how silly/hokie/charming and surprisingly addicting the evening shows are. Once we figured out that sitting at tables for more than 2 (it was just my husband and myself on this trip) created opportunities to meet people and talk with GOs, we felt like part of the family. 3/4ths of the guests are french-speaking at this resort so the staff communicates mostly in French and while they do translate some of what they are saying into English at the shows and while announcing games etc, they don't translate all of it. Dont worry, you'll figure it all out.
Highlights of this resort: 1)The food!! Wow! Ive never had better food at an all inclusive! Ive been to all-inclusives where there are 5 or 6 restaurants. Here there are 2. Believe me, you won't miss having 5 restaurants when the variety and quality of the food is so excellent. A special shout out to Phillipe, the pastry chef. The breads and pastries are amazing. Philippe also loves to sing at the evening shows. Gotta say its fun to see him up there in his chef's hat rocking the house...and so endearing. I overheard him saying that he feels like his gift to give all of the guests is his cooking and his voice. So sweet! 2) the water sports: hats off to the sailing crew (thanks Pierce, Amanda and the rest), the snorkeling (2 excursions a day,plenty of variety of places to go), the water skiing, etc. Amazing amount of things to do that are included at this resort. 3) The beach: beautiful water, sand etc. 4) the excursion to High Cay. Worth it! I'll write a separate review under "Things to do" but that was a lot of fun and the lobster picnic was great. 5) the friendliness and personal touch every guest feels. This resort makes you feel like you are part of their family. You are greeted before you get on the plane at the airport, when you step off at the Bahamas (Pokine's famous "welcome to home" statement to every guest as they check through customs) and when you get off the plane at the end of your vacation at the Fort Lauderdale airport to help you connect to your next flight. At every step, they make you feel like one of them. The organization was impressive. If all Club Meds are this way, I see why people keep coming back.
I do want to comment on some things that desperately need improvement: 1) the grounds and facilities. They REALLY, REALLY need to renovate. This place looks like nothing has changed much since the 80's. You can overlook most of this because you're having a great time, but its going to need a major overhaul. They say a renovation is occurring this fall but they are only closing for 6 weeks and to do it right they probably need to close for a year and really renovate. 2) The rooms: Everything is getting pretty dang old. Specifically the bathrooms. We had the deluxe sea view, second floor room (highest quality room type possible at this resort) and the shower was pretty moldy and bad..shower curtain, old tiles, old tired fixtures. The furniture on the deck is cheap and old. The bed was comfortable but the daybed was very tired and stained from many wet bathing suit clad bottoms sitting on it and who knows what else. It just needs major updating. Things are kind of just falling apart. Having said that our housekeeper did a great job keeping everything clean and refreshed. They say you don't come to Club Med for the rooms- this is true.
We had a really good time. Met lovely people, enjoyed this resort. The value is tremendous. I've been to comparably priced all inclusives with nicer pools, MUCH nicer rooms and facilities. But where this resort really shines is its people, its personal touch, its food, the water sports, the location, the beach and feeling like you are part of the family. We would definitely consider coming back. I would book again EVERY year if I knew they were renovating the rooms!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the refinement of the Bahamas during your stay at Columbus Isle. The heavenly all-inclusive resort of Columbus Isle is a paradise for diving and honeymoon vacations. Travel to Club Med Columbus Isle as a couple and enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation in this secluded resort on the Caribbean Sea. Indulge in a massage* by the ocean or relax by the pristine beach. As one of the top 5 wall diving destinations in the Caribbean, this luxurious hideaway is also the best luxury resort for couples. This environmentally-friendly resort also offers a wide range of activities and sports for adults. No matter what your travel expectations are, you'll find the amenities at Columbus Isle to be more refined than anywhere else: premium oceanfront accommodations, oceanfront massage* palapas, and scuba diving* in one of the best diving spot worldwide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med Columbus Isle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Columbus Isle Hotel San Salvador
- Club Med San Salvador
- San Salvador Club Med
- Columbus Isle Club Med
- Club Med Columbus Isle Bahamas/San Salvador