“awesome resort”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Salvador
Joliet, Illinois
“awesome resort”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

columbus island was awesome, food was great we were in a great room, transfer took two minutes. my wife loved water skiing, also snorkeling and especially sailing. she also had a great massage. great place to walk around the resort which is gorgeous. only thing did not like was someone asking her why she came to a french resort when she is an american. my wife replied this is a club med not a french club.air conditioning in room could be better.

Room Tip: room 517 was awesome. great view close to everything yet not too loud.air could be better for sleepi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Turkish first
Boston
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Club Med San Salvador offers excellent value for the price point (including airfare). Food is quality and delicious with a touch of French cuisine, activities are endless (numerous tennis courts and catamarans, water skiing, soccer, table tennis etc), ton of fun diving with a lot of sites to see and joyous staff. Rooms are adequate. Water is blue and beautiful. I am not an entertainment person but club med has really fun stuff at night including shows and dance clubs etc. Very few drawbacks - one biggie is the tiny flies that bite everybody. people literally have hundreds of bug bites all over their legs and feet. skin lotion helps as a deterrent and pure vodka takes away the itch instantaneously.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank t-dev-7
Sandusky, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This was our first time to Club Med Columbus Isle but our second trip to a Club Med (Turquoise). we travelled the last week of April after spring break and it was a great trip. We are experienced AI travelers and did our homework before this trip. I dive so I knew about the diving but was hesitant about the rest of the activities and the caliber of the resort( I am well aware they are due for an upgrade this year).

Travel- Everyone has to fly through Fort Lauderdale to get the charter, through Spirit, to get to Columbus Isle. Fort Lauderdale airport is old and depressing and the Spirit counter help is pathetic as well. Club Med had a representative waiting for us and she was very helpful and had a great smile and attitude. The charter flight was delayed but we eventually made it to San Salvador. The airport is smaller than most houses but suffices for what it does. We chose to walk to the resort (5 min) and somehow we managed on our own to find our room and our luggage was already there.

Rooms- The rooms are old and in need of a remodel but I thought the room was much more pleasant than Turquoise. The room was large, clean, and the air worked! The bed was comfortable, shower worked fine and we were close to the dive shop (#306). The room was spotless every day and made up quickly and mopped every day as well. Kudos on the maid staff. It is a battle to get soft drinks in your room as no one says it is there job or wants to help you out. We don't drink coffee so a morning diet Coke is important. It would be nice if they would stock the fridge a little bit. We did tip the every so confident bartender Todd and he did arrange for a six pack of diet Coke in our room. After that, the second request went unanswered. Daily we would go to the bar by the dive shop, ask for two sodas for the next day, not a huge deal but an unnecessary hassle. The rooms are showing their age but remember you are on an island where supplies are only brought every two weeks. Overall the room was fine.

Grounds- Not the best kept grounds but are well appointed. The beach is the best beach I have ever been on and is free from rocks. Beautiful beach! The beach chairs are newer and it was comfortable to be out all day. As far as the sand fleas, we brought Repel 100 and it worked o.k. We did suffer some bites but not too bad. You can walk for a ways on the beach and not see another soul. Can't say enough how beautiful the beach is!

Food- Again, we are well travelled visiting many AIs and BY FAR, that was the best food we have ever had! We never went to the speciality restaurant as the buffet was different every night and the food quality was supurb! Hats off to the chef and his crew!

Drinks- I will take this from another review that the drink quality should match the food quality. Drink quality is fair at best as they use Bahamain liquors unless you ask for something a little better. It would be nice if they would get one American beer.

Diving- Seafari is the company that Club Med uses and I want to give my hats off to all the dive staff, instructors, Jean Paul, Stuart, and the rest. It is comforting knowing there is a Dive doctor on board all times and a chamber at the resort if necessary. I felt ill after the first dive and the doctor kept checking up on me making sure I was o.k. I skipped the second dive of the day and continued the second day and the rest of the week. The diving was incredible and the wall was beautiful. I came to see the Hammerheads and they were elusive all week not seeing one. I did see plenty of reef sharks though! Again, a great experience diving.

GOs- Here's where I will knock Club Med. I understand why they are there and they didn't push themselves on us like they did at Turquoise as my wife and I want to be left alone. If I want to talk to someone I will initiate the conversation. My theory of the GOs is that it is a big party for them. They eat very well, drink well, and party. I am under the feeling that guests should come first and not the GOs. Most AIs you will not see the staff eat or drink. The GOs are big fish in a little pond and that's about it. The real thanks and compliments should go to the locals that work at the hotel. They are hard workers and don't have the bloated GO attitude.

Overall, we will definitely go back. We did rent a scooter to see the Christopher Columbus Memorial but there is nothing else on the island. Great trip.

6 Thank Eric S
Washington, DC
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband, daughter, & I travelled to Columbus Isle the week before Easter. We had semi-low expectations of this resort because we knew it was older and we are used to nicer, more modern rooms, etc... We realized that since we were on the weekly charter flight from FLL, the people that were at the airport were the ones that we were going to be with the entire week and fly back to FLL the following Saturday.

We arrived @ Columbus Isle, walked out of the airport, got our wrist bands and keys, and saw the big yellow school bus we were about to board. Expectations got a little lower. Then we took the 2 minute ride (next time we'll walk!) to the resort. As we arrived in the theatre, the GO's were all clapping and welcoming us. They broke us off into groups to walk to our rooms. As we walked through the property, all we could think was 'let's just get through this week'. The buildings look old and the grounds are not kept up the way we are used to seeing on other islands we've been to. We kept saying to ourselves - we're gonna have FUN! (fingers crossed)

This was the 2nd Club Med we've been to (Punta Cana was the first) and when we were in PC, everyone kept talking about Columbus Isle, so we knew we wanted to check it out. The good news - we knew that Club Med had great food (even though there are only 2 restaurants). We thought we'd end up eating at the a la Carte restaurant more, but we only ate there once and realized that we liked the buffet much better. There is so much to choose from and the food really is AMAZING!

We also knew that the Club Med is set up so that you meet other people and the GO's. We met SO many great people in our week there and it truly does feel like you're one big happy family.

By the 2nd day, we were overlooking the outdated buildings and unmanicured grounds and focusing on the GORGEOUS beach, Beautiful water, delicious food, and great people! It ended up being such a GREAT VACATION and we will definitely be back!

Please take time to get to know the GO's! They really work so hard and are awesome! A few to mention (please forgive me if I forget you on this list):

Christian - FANTASTIC! He's JC's (Chief of Village) assistant. He won't be there long - he's leaving for Indonesia soon, so be sure to wish him luck. He deserves to be promoted to Chief, and when he does, we'll be sure to go to his resort to celebrate w/ him!

Pierce & Amanda (Water Sports) - Pierce taught my (10 yr old) daughter how to sail and she took us out sailing every day! He even came out to help us once when we were having a little bit of trouble getting back in, but instead of "rescuing" us, he just walked her through what to do. He was AWESOME!

Phillip - THE BREAD MAN! Love this guy! Always has a smile on his face and makes his bread w/ "music & love".

Steph - She is in charge of ordering all the food & drinks for the resort. Great personality and so sweet!

Marco - AWESOME CHEF!

Stuart - Dive shop...Texas guy w/ lots of tips and so nice!

Gabrielle & Catherine - Bartenders, they bust their butts and make amazing mojito's!

Aldo - Go to the beach bar at 2:15 each day for trivia! He is a riot and so much fun!

There are so many others, but every one of the GO's work so hard and you see them from the moment you get up and have breakfast w/ them until late at night working or in the shows, and then having fun at the beach bar/disco. They get 1 day off.

Some advice for Club Med:
- There really does need to be another towel stand to exchange towels closer to the pool or beach bar.
- The food is so good, but the bar has VERY low quality alcohol. Aristocrat - yuck! For the price you pay for all inclusive, it would be nice to have better quality w/out having to pay for it. You can get Grey Goose, however it's addt'l $.
- PLEASE renovate the rooms - I want to come back!
- And please take a little time to get rid of the dead palm trees and trim some of the bushes that are blocking walkways.

We rented a car one day so that we could check out the light house and the Christopher Columbus monument. Very easy to rent, just call the front desk and arrange it. We also took the High Cay excursion. This was so much fun and we had grilled lobsters on the most picturesque, beautiful beach I've ever seen...white sand, blue water, red umbrellas w/ our table so close to the water. It was amazing and SO good!!

Lastly, you'll see that the people at this resort are mostly either French Canadian, French, or American. Some of the French can be a bit rude - we experienced several rude ones - to the point where they won't even move to the side when you walk by them on the little sidewalk (and ran me off!) and taking over a chair or cabana that you are already sitting in.

So if you can overlook this and focus on the beauty and fun of this resort, you will have a GREAT time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LuvProvo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

First of all I have to say that it's my third time to this Club Med and that again I had a blast, back in the days I use to love this place as there was no Internet or Cell phone signal, it was the best way to disconnect. I now choose to shut down the cell phone and not use the Internet even if the resort now has access to wireless.
The place is simply amazing, the location, the beach everything is just perfect...even if the resort has aged over the years (note that they will renovate this resort in August) everything you need is there to have a good time.
The rooms are simple but clean (anyway we spend most of our times outside) the food is simply amazing, great buffet and the A La Carte restaurant is also a great experience, you could eat at the buffet all week and still be very satisfied with the menu.
I've been to this Club, with my parents, they loved it...went alone to relax and still manage to have a good time. Friendly staff will make your stay great.
I like the mix of Canadians, French and Americans on the resort...you meet great people over there!
If you have a chance go outside the Club and visit the island and the people, you'll find great people that will show you the little piece of paradise where they live.
Go see Géraldine at the Excursion desk right next to the pool, she will recommend you some of the great things to do...she's knows the island very well and the locals...it's always a must to discover the life outside of the resort...Géraldine knows the island and will be able to recommend something you will enjoy for sure!
Personally I strongly recommend the High Cay Excursion, great time including a meal of seafood on the beach on a private island...it's a full day thing and totally worth it.
Another thing you can buy is an hour or more of a jet ski rental, riding in these cristal clear water and visit the Iguana Island was super fun or you can experience your first gospel mass...no matter what you decide you'll have a great time.
Speak with locals, ask them about the island, they love it so much and will tell you everything about it...I Made great friends on the island over the years, there are just great.
I will definitely go back and hope you'll appreciate as much as I did everytime I went.
Please note that I like to travel worldwide and not especially in Club Med's or all inclusive resorts but there's a little something about this resort that makes me want to come back once in a while.
It's all about the view and location!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet spot, ask for a room close to the scuba diving center...the closer you are to th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Benny_worldwide
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was our first Club Med vacation. We have done Sandals, and many other all inclusive resorts. I worked in travel for years. I had booked Club Med, but never stayed there! I cannot wait to go back. The staff was great! Starting with Barbara in Ft. Lauderdale at the airport. She was very helpful on the departure and return. She showed us a short cut to get to our terminal on the return, so we could make out flight (Thank You!) The G.O's were AWESOME! We loved GARRY! He made our stay so much FUN! Sidney awesome. They were all Awesome. Lola was a hoot! Stuart from the dive center was so helpful. We had a few meals with him. He was so helpful and friendly. The managers were there every night greeting us as we went into the restaurant. I have never seen that before. They would come around to the tables to see how everything was. The had joined us for lunch & dinner. They were so friendly. The water aerobics was a great workout. The food was amazing! This was one of the best all inclusive for food and entertainment. We went jet skiing, snorkeling. It was a blast! There was so much activity and if you didn't want to participate you didn't have to. The shows were great. The GO's and the dance parties were fun. The beach was beautiful and water was amazing! I cannot say enough good about this resort! We can't wait to go back! I liked this better than Nassau & Paradise Island! Thank you

Room Tip: I would suggest going for an Deluxe Seaview Room. They are bigger and you have a balcony. I tried...
3 Thank PaulaT2425QQ
petd0c
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I'll preface this review by saying this was our first time at any Club Med so I won't be able to compare to other Club Meds. If you are a Club Med newbie like me, let me say this: you'll need to "drink the kool aid" to get into it- but do it! We had a ball! Club Med is a bit of a meld between an 80's adult summer camp experience and all inclusive resort. What impressed us about this experience was how hard-working the GO's are (these guys are the best part of the experience!), how friendly everyone is, how much they love their group activities and parties and how silly/hokie/charming and surprisingly addicting the evening shows are. Once we figured out that sitting at tables for more than 2 (it was just my husband and myself on this trip) created opportunities to meet people and talk with GOs, we felt like part of the family. 3/4ths of the guests are french-speaking at this resort so the staff communicates mostly in French and while they do translate some of what they are saying into English at the shows and while announcing games etc, they don't translate all of it. Dont worry, you'll figure it all out.

Highlights of this resort: 1)The food!! Wow! Ive never had better food at an all inclusive! Ive been to all-inclusives where there are 5 or 6 restaurants. Here there are 2. Believe me, you won't miss having 5 restaurants when the variety and quality of the food is so excellent. A special shout out to Phillipe, the pastry chef. The breads and pastries are amazing. Philippe also loves to sing at the evening shows. Gotta say its fun to see him up there in his chef's hat rocking the house...and so endearing. I overheard him saying that he feels like his gift to give all of the guests is his cooking and his voice. So sweet! 2) the water sports: hats off to the sailing crew (thanks Pierce, Amanda and the rest), the snorkeling (2 excursions a day,plenty of variety of places to go), the water skiing, etc. Amazing amount of things to do that are included at this resort. 3) The beach: beautiful water, sand etc. 4) the excursion to High Cay. Worth it! I'll write a separate review under "Things to do" but that was a lot of fun and the lobster picnic was great. 5) the friendliness and personal touch every guest feels. This resort makes you feel like you are part of their family. You are greeted before you get on the plane at the airport, when you step off at the Bahamas (Pokine's famous "welcome to home" statement to every guest as they check through customs) and when you get off the plane at the end of your vacation at the Fort Lauderdale airport to help you connect to your next flight. At every step, they make you feel like one of them. The organization was impressive. If all Club Meds are this way, I see why people keep coming back.

I do want to comment on some things that desperately need improvement: 1) the grounds and facilities. They REALLY, REALLY need to renovate. This place looks like nothing has changed much since the 80's. You can overlook most of this because you're having a great time, but its going to need a major overhaul. They say a renovation is occurring this fall but they are only closing for 6 weeks and to do it right they probably need to close for a year and really renovate. 2) The rooms: Everything is getting pretty dang old. Specifically the bathrooms. We had the deluxe sea view, second floor room (highest quality room type possible at this resort) and the shower was pretty moldy and bad..shower curtain, old tiles, old tired fixtures. The furniture on the deck is cheap and old. The bed was comfortable but the daybed was very tired and stained from many wet bathing suit clad bottoms sitting on it and who knows what else. It just needs major updating. Things are kind of just falling apart. Having said that our housekeeper did a great job keeping everything clean and refreshed. They say you don't come to Club Med for the rooms- this is true.

Summary:
We had a really good time. Met lovely people, enjoyed this resort. The value is tremendous. I've been to comparably priced all inclusives with nicer pools, MUCH nicer rooms and facilities. But where this resort really shines is its people, its personal touch, its food, the water sports, the location, the beach and feeling like you are part of the family. We would definitely consider coming back. I would book again EVERY year if I knew they were renovating the rooms!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank petd0c
#1 of 23 in Andros
The Pointe Resort
The Pointe Resort
#2 of 5 in Andros

Been to Club Med Columbus Isle? Share your experiences!