“Great getaway!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Staniel Cay
Staniel Cay Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staniel Cay
Cudjoe Key, Florida, United States
“Great getaway!”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

It started with a charter plane on Watermaker Air from Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport to San Andros to clear customs, that was a painless experience and soon we were back on board to Staniel Cay a small key in Exuma. We were greated at the airstrip by Yacht Club personel and taken to the resort. Check in was quick and soon we were enjoying a cocktail by the pool. We had the all inclusive package that included three meals/day, a 13' skiff, snorkel gear, use of bikes and kayaks and paddleboards. They give you maps of the nearby islands marked with spots good for snorkeling, beaching or bonefishing. We visited them all. The Thunderball grotto was a magnificent place to snorkel and see a variety of fish, we swam with the nurse sharks at Compass Cay, visited Rachel's bubble bath and their beach. Saw and fed the swimming pigs, although they were a bit scarier than the cute videos you see on utube, visited the islands with the iguanas, drank beer at Scorpios and Lorraines in Blackpoint (don't miss the driftwood sculptures), fished for bones, and saw lots of beautiful beaches. The Yacht club itself had a great and attentive staff. The food was delicious and although not "all you can eat" like most all inclusives-was plenty of food! It also did not include alcoholic beverages-so we spent a fair amount of money at the bar.You can eat lunch in, or they box you up a lunch to take on the boat. You make your dinner order in the morning (or by 5 if you are hanging around the island) and everyone eats at 7:30. It is a four course meal, and everything I tried was great! I would return here in a heartbeat. I highly recommend using Watermaker's Air, quick flights, quick trips through customs, very professional and friendly!

Room Tip: Most rooms have a view of the ocean, so pick your room to suit your party size.
2 Thank Jane K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I am actually having trouble deciding where to start. We stayed in the Ocean Blue. Its the 2 story cottage closest to the dock. It offered a great view of the dock and an even better view of the rays and nurse sharks swimming around the dock. The room was clean and the air conditioner worked great. The 2nd floor balcony is by far the selling point for this cottage. Meals were excellent and I would definitely recommend "the catch of the day" for dinner. The staff was excellent and most memorable were David, Carl, Liz and especially Santos who got our whaler ready each day. Now onto the best part. The best part was our 13 foot Whaler that came with all inclusive package. The whaler took us to the Thunderball Grotto, the famous swimming pigs, the nurse sharks at Compass Cay, and most importantly the Land and Sea Park. Looking for the best beach? The best beach is the one that magically appears in the middle of the ocean as the tide is going out. Imagine long strips of white sand with water on both sides. Taking the whaler on a spin through the bright blue channels from island to island is not to be missed either. If you enjoy your privacy, you can go the whole day without seeing another person. Definitely do not miss the Land and Sea Park. There are friendly and helpful people working at the Ranger's station there also.

The All-Inclusive: I am not normally an "All-Inclusive" traveler. The "All inclusive" at SCYC is highly recommended. The SCYC restaurant appeared to be the only open restaurant on the island while we were there. The food quality and service were still excellent. The "All-inclusive" also comes with your Whaler. You will have either the 13 foot or the 17 foot depending on your cottage. This whaler will be the core experience of your vacation. The savings of the All-Inclusive is very significant over an "A la carte" option.

The only Con is booking. Plan on booking earlier as the cottages fill up fast. One couple I met had been coming for 10+ years.

The last thing I want to recommend is before you book that vacation on Paradise Island at the Atlantis Resort, check with SCYC for an amazing Out Island vacation. Resorts will come and go, but there are few unspoiled places like this left in the world.

Room Tip: Book early, do the "all inclusive." Try to get a cottage on the water, but don't worr...
4 Thank Eric3737
Houma, Louisiana
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I could have stayed here forever. Sigh. We came here for lunch on our Thunderball 007 tour and it brought my husband and I back to our earliest days as a couple living on St. Thomas. I really could have stayed and drank myself silly. Food wasn't too bad either, but the atmosphere is the star of the show!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank houmalagirl
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The SCYC offers a remote, untouched escape with unique adventures found only in this special chain of islands. We swam with pigs, snorkeled with manta rays, pet friendly nurse sharks, and fed iguanas on an island that looked like the set of jurassic park. When we weren't interacting with the unique wild (and not-so-wild) life, we spent the days island-hopping discovering our own "private" beaches with no one else in sight. Words cannot describe how great the Exumas are, but it suffices to say that it was heaven on earth.

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Pink cottage at the SCYC. It was a small, but beautiful cottage on the water with beautiful views of the harbor and nurse sharks (they are totally friendly we snorkeled with them) swimming by.

The staff was friendly and helpful - very welcoming. Carl the bartender was great, as were the boat-staff who helped us with our boats every morning. The food was excellent and certainly exceeded my expectations for an island this size. Make sure you order your dinner by 5pm for the 7:30 seating; otherwise, you may find yourself with more limited options for dinner. Rhonda was by far our favorite server. Her smile was contagious and she made us feel welcomed.

I would highly recommend SCYC to anyone with a sense of adventure and a need to escape and relax.

Room Tip: Book early to get a waterfront cottage. View is amazing. Also, if the cottage is not available durin...
3 Thank saviano1
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Just got back today from a week stay at Staniel Cay Yacht Club. We stayed in Periwinkle which was great because it had two sleeping areas and two full baths. Nice icy cold AC too. The food was great and so was the service. On our first day the lovely lady at check in loaned me her charger for my Kindle since I forgot mine! I was able to read and relax at night after dinner and loved it. We did a boat tour with Wade Nixon who pointed out all the cays and their names and took us up to the Marine Park. Very nice man and very considerate. We rented a golf cart one day and toured the island and found Pirate Beach which was post card gorgeous with no one around. Other days we took out the Boston Whalers to see the pigs and iguanas and just ride around. We came back in the afternoon and hung with others at the pool for drinks before dinner---met some very nice people. All in all a very nice vacation in a beautiful remote spot off the beaten track. If you like turquoise waters, no crowds, and a laid back atmosphere this is a place for you. If you're looking for a Four Seasons this us not for you. I would, however, recommend putting this on your bucket list if places to go!

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank Aguacaliente
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My hubby and I visited SCYC the first week of April 2013, our first but not last trip to Staniel! I am officially obsessed and have already booked our second trip.
We are used to more commercial locations and larger resorts but I feel no need to ever go anywhere else than Staniel from here out!

We stayed 6 nights in the Blue Cottage which was clean, comfy and an unbelievable view. The water below our deck always had fish, sharks and rays swimming below with beautiful sunsets in the evening. Oh, one recommendation…if you like to sleep past 7:30 in the morning, bring earplugs!! There are birds that rise and shine around that time and they are the noisiest birds I have ever heard. We loved them and didn’t want to waste any time getting onto our boat, so we welcomed their screeches.

The boat is key! Don’t be scared to get in and go! I was a bit worried at first we would get lost but it is SO easy to get around and the boat is so easy to use that within the first 30 minutes we were pros! Enjoy the beaches, they are magical! We would park on a beach snorkel the rocks around and saw some of the prettiest fish and colorful coral. You have to snorkel Thunderball Grotto period.

The staff was very accommodating and friendly. They even help me find a piece of missing clothing they got mixed up in the laundry. Super people and always happy to help. The food was great and I still miss that Mango Shrimp I had for lunch a few times. We enjoyed every dinner and the bar atmosphere before and after the dinner bell.

I cannot say enough great things about SCYC and the island of Staniel Cay. Go and enjoy it for yourself, I am positive you will want to go back again and again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank snorkeljunkie
Fresno, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

What a wonderful experience! After a long trip from the West coast, we were ready for some relaxation. It was amazing! We did the all inclusive plan and highly recommend it. It came with meals, boat, paddleboards, kayaks, bikes and more. We were in the Orange cottage right on the water and it was perfect. Newly remodeled, all the cottages are in great shape! First things first....the food is amazing! Truly better than we expected and we were very pleased with the service. The wait staff was friendly, kind and very prompt. We had the lobster, steak, rack of lamb, bbq ribs, fish of the day, lobster salad, conch po'boys, and more....everything was spectacular! My favorite part of dinner was the soup course. They truly have great food! The service was super fast!

Breakfasts were always great! Their fruit plate is wonderful. It all is! After breakfast they would ask us if we wanted the picnic lunch to take with us. Usually we said yes and would take the boat out everyday to find our little slice of heaven for the day. Lunches were sandwiches, fruit cups, and sodas or water.

SIDE NOTE: head up to the 'Blue Store' to grab water...they sell bottled water for a buck a bottle and you can pick up a 24 pack to take back to your room so you can load your coolers and stay hydrated! You need it!

The days would wrap up about 4:30 when the boats had to be back and we would catch up with other guests and friends that we made, usually that happened when we were all rinsing our snorkel gear and salt water off and hanging in the pool, then head back to the room to get ready for dinner. Go up to the bar about 6 for great photo ops of the sunset and yachts! The dinner bell rang at 7:30. After dinner we hung around and watched the stars, chatting with new friends and had a couple of drinks.

We'd head back to room and crash for the night. If you are looking for nightlife, this is not the place. If you want to be connected to the internet/phone/tv/radio...probably not for you. You can get internet...it's slow and spotty, there is a t.v. in the bar, but you pretty much catch up with the world in the morning at breakfast and then again in the afternoon before dinner. You escape it for the rest of your stay....it's blissful.

Overall the staff is amazing, loved every single one of them. The celebs and big yachts that come in are fun to see and they appreciate it if you don't take pics and freak out around them...hey, they are on vacation too.

To us, the staff were the celebrities. The heartbeat of the yacht club. The ones that put the huge smiles on our faces every morning when we'd come in for breakfast..the daily hugs and the tears shed when leaving. Truly sweet, generous, kind people. Be sure to seek out Ruth and her wonderful handbags that her and her family make...they are a wonderful piece of heaven to take home and are reasonably priced!

We can't wait til we come back to SCYC. It's the perfect little slice of heaven that we'd been looking for with so much to see. I only hope this little gem is not discovered and remains a secret...it's perfect!

***Side note: when feeding the pigs at Big Major Cay, be careful! We brought our boat in to the shallows where the pigs could stand. One of the bigger brown/black spotted ones got a little pushy and bit me on the arm 2x. Not huge bites, but they bruised well. Always keep the pigs swimming so they can't stand on their hind legs and get into the boat. This one was up to his belly in our boat going for the food. Do not get out of your boat with food. You will probably get chased. Parents be very careful. They are fun to see and a kick to watch, but now that we know....we won't be going so close to shore in the boat to feed them. Do not feed them by hand. Of course we do not hold SCYC responsible for anything that happened, and it became more of a funny story we could tell at the bar when asked about the bruise that ironically was in the shape of a pig's head on my forearm. :)

Highly recommend this place, the journey there is worth it. I read a quote that describes SCYC perfectly "This place is not for 'Tourists' - it's a place for 'Travelers'"

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Clarence Town
The Pointe Resort
The Pointe Resort
#2 of 5 in Andros

Been to Staniel Cay Yacht Club? Share your experiences!