The Whitebrook
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Whitebrook
See available hotels
Riverside Hotel(Monmouth)
Poolway House(Coleford)
The Paddocks Hotel(Ross-on-Wye)
  • Breakfast included
The Old Court Hotel(Ross-on-Wye)
View Hotel
All reviewswarm welsh cakesfront of housemichelin startasting menuforaged ingredientsfood and winefresh milkamuse boucherestaurant with roomsfine diningcompotewye valleypetit foursoff the beaten trackpoached eggswonderful eveningseven courses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We booked The Crown for two nights (Fri/Sat) as we needed somewhere to stay near Clearwell Castle for a wedding and The Crown's rates were almost half the price of everything in Gloucestershire. We were looking for somewhere to lay our heads essentially.

However, we are foodies so when I read about the restaurant we were defintely up for giving it a try in spite of the mixed reviews (or rather one negative review that stands out).

On the Friday night I went for the Taster Menu and my husband went A La Carte as he wanted something hearty.The portions are very small on both menus so don't feel overwhelmed by going for the seven course Taster, they are quite light and you'll feel nicely satisfied afterwards.

As with all Taster menus, some items are exquisite and some were very good but perhaps not to my personal taste. But that's the beauty of eating in such places. The food combinations are unusual and it's about going through the experience of the layers of flavours and being pleasantly surprised.

We had a long and leisurely meal and the wine recommended by Steve was superb. The best part for us was that we didn't have to go anywhere to get home and could just pop upstairs to bed.

The next morning we asked for a Full English (not knowing when our next meal would be, as with all weddings!) and I can honestly say that it was one of the best breakfasts I've had. The locally sourced sausages and black pudding were absolutly delicious and my egg were perfectly under done as requested.

On our return from the Wedding on the Saturday night we were honestly tempted to sit back down for another round of the Taster Menu but managed to resist... but the breakfast on Sunday morning was very welcome after a night of partying!

The rooms are comfy and clean, the general ambience is cosy country style but in an up-to-date manner, and the service is really exceptional (especially as getting a taxi proved to be a nightmare but the staff went above and beyond to make it happen!).

We had such a great time and to stumble upon such a gorgeous place was a real bonus. My top tip would be to stay the night there and/or make a weekend of it so you can really enjoy the food and the atmosphere.

Last of all, the main reason I'm writing this review (my first one ever!), is because I was a little embarrassed by one of the reviews that referenced being a "Londoner".

We are also "Londoners", we eat at top London restaurants and have had to travel extensively around the world, staying at the best hotels and eating at the best restaurants on expenses. We know what's what and didn't want to be tarnished with the same "Londoner" brush (snotty).

I really think this is a lovely establishment, we had a great time especially as the food was such an unexpected bonus. I invite all "Londoners" to come and stay at this place and enjoy some of the most picturesque surroundings in Wales probably.

Chris, thanks for lending my husband a tie and goodluck with the new venture - you're doing a fine job!

Steve - thank you to you and the girls for your amazing hospitality.

The Blagdens

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We thought we'd give this a try having visited under the previous chef. Whilst the menu on the face of it didn't at first appear that exciting, the seven courses we tasted with delivered much more than anticipated. It was all extremely well judged, with interesting flavours and textures throughout. The wine list was also excellent. A very promising start and we will be returning as soon as possible.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We had stayed at the Crown at Whitebrook quite a few times before it's closure earlier this year and were interested to see if it was still as good under Chris Harris. We certainly were not disappointed. The Testing menu was beautifully balanced, exquisitely presented and expertly served. I would say it is possibly one of our best meals and we have tried many top restaurants.
The rooms are comfortable and well equipped. Our one very slight niggle would be that the sound proofing between rooms could be improved.
A hidden gem but well worth finding.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

To my shame I never made it here in previously but was sad when I heard that it had shut down. So when it re opened about the same time as my Mum's birthday it was an obvious choice. Even the website is excellent and staff were very friendly when I booked on the phone. The drive is beautiful on a lovely day and although it is in the middle of no where, this no where is worth seeing even with out the wonderful restaurant- treat it all as part of the experience. The decor is warm and cosy and we were treated really well by the staff, especially my Mum. Now we get to the food, the most important bit. It was all amazing!! Between us we had everything on the lunch menu and they were all fantastic. I have recently eaten at Giddleigh Park and would put this in the same bracket, although the more relaxed atmosphere at The Crown suits me much more. The price for the lunch menu suits me more too, at £29 for three courses you really can't go wrong. i think that this price will rise as hopefully word of mouth spreads so get in quick but know that once you have tried it, you will go back regardless of price. My Dad needed a low fat desert so they gave him 4 different types of sorbet which was not on the menu which was really appreciated. Drinks menu was reasonable too for an establishment like this. The long and short of this review is that you MUST go and support this restaurant-Wales should be proud to have it!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed for one night in November. Had the tasting menu together with the selected wines. Food was excellent throughout and the wines had been carefully chosen to complement each dish. Service was first class with the manager taking time to explain each new wine as it was presented. Room was lovely, breakfast cooked to the same high standard as the meal the night before - overall fantastic and looking forward to the next visit

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple