“Faultless!”
Review of The Whitebrook

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whitebrook
The Whitebrook
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitebrook
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I booked the 'gourmet package' in an executive room. The room was lovely and the tasting menu was spectacular. We also had the matched wines which were superb. Steven, the manager, made us so welcome and his food and drink knowledge is outstanding. A wonderful experience from start to finish and we will return soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tinamorris2014

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I spent NYE at the Crown including accommodation. We had been on numerous occasions under the previous management and I must say that we both found the dishes to be more enjoyable on our most recent visit. Maybe this is because we opted for the wine tasting menu, which may well have complimented the food a lot better, but even so, the food was first class. The next day we had brunch, which once again you couldn't fault. We will most definitely be back again and wish the new management team, best wishes in their new venture.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Four of us dined at The Crown on Christmas Eve. We were not sure what to expect under the new ownership but we were not disappointed. The lounge area looks fabulous and is very comfortable. Staff are very courteous and attentive. The food was amazing, from the Canapes to the Petit Fours. We all had 3 courses and were all commenting on how delicious all the dishes were. We will definately be returning and we all hope that this venture will be successful. It definately deserves to be.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank linniemonmouth
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Lunch from the Crown's Christmas menu. Wonderful, outstanding food. Good service. Restful and relaxing atmosphere. Perfect way to spend a damp and windy winter afternoon. We are very lucky in this part of the world; we have some very fine restaurants, and this is one of the best. I'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2013

All I can say is this place is amazing!! Steve was very hospitable when we arrived carrying our luggage to our room and then returned minutes later with warmed mince pies and fresh milk for a welcome cuppa. The room was delightful and spotless. The meal itself was an experience from start to finish. Steve certainly knew his stuff and Chris produced an absolutely fantastic tasting menu from the first canape to the final petit four. Breakfast was equally good. You really feel that you have been spoiled here with a very personal touch. I would definitely return and hopefully for longer next time as it was just a flying visit.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We booked The Crown for two nights (Fri/Sat) as we needed somewhere to stay near Clearwell Castle for a wedding and The Crown's rates were almost half the price of everything in Gloucestershire. We were looking for somewhere to lay our heads essentially.

However, we are foodies so when I read about the restaurant we were defintely up for giving it a try in spite of the mixed reviews (or rather one negative review that stands out).

On the Friday night I went for the Taster Menu and my husband went A La Carte as he wanted something hearty.The portions are very small on both menus so don't feel overwhelmed by going for the seven course Taster, they are quite light and you'll feel nicely satisfied afterwards.

As with all Taster menus, some items are exquisite and some were very good but perhaps not to my personal taste. But that's the beauty of eating in such places. The food combinations are unusual and it's about going through the experience of the layers of flavours and being pleasantly surprised.

We had a long and leisurely meal and the wine recommended by Steve was superb. The best part for us was that we didn't have to go anywhere to get home and could just pop upstairs to bed.

The next morning we asked for a Full English (not knowing when our next meal would be, as with all weddings!) and I can honestly say that it was one of the best breakfasts I've had. The locally sourced sausages and black pudding were absolutly delicious and my egg were perfectly under done as requested.

On our return from the Wedding on the Saturday night we were honestly tempted to sit back down for another round of the Taster Menu but managed to resist... but the breakfast on Sunday morning was very welcome after a night of partying!

The rooms are comfy and clean, the general ambience is cosy country style but in an up-to-date manner, and the service is really exceptional (especially as getting a taxi proved to be a nightmare but the staff went above and beyond to make it happen!).

We had such a great time and to stumble upon such a gorgeous place was a real bonus. My top tip would be to stay the night there and/or make a weekend of it so you can really enjoy the food and the atmosphere.

Last of all, the main reason I'm writing this review (my first one ever!), is because I was a little embarrassed by one of the reviews that referenced being a "Londoner".

We are also "Londoners", we eat at top London restaurants and have had to travel extensively around the world, staying at the best hotels and eating at the best restaurants on expenses. We know what's what and didn't want to be tarnished with the same "Londoner" brush (snotty).

I really think this is a lovely establishment, we had a great time especially as the food was such an unexpected bonus. I invite all "Londoners" to come and stay at this place and enjoy some of the most picturesque surroundings in Wales probably.

Chris, thanks for lending my husband a tie and goodluck with the new venture - you're doing a fine job!

Steve - thank you to you and the girls for your amazing hospitality.

The Blagdens

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We thought we'd give this a try having visited under the previous chef. Whilst the menu on the face of it didn't at first appear that exciting, the seven courses we tasted with delivered much more than anticipated. It was all extremely well judged, with interesting flavours and textures throughout. The wine list was also excellent. A very promising start and we will be returning as soon as possible.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitebrook
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clearwell
The Angel
The Angel
#1 of 3 in Abergavenny

Been to The Whitebrook? Share your experiences!