“Back and better”
Review of The Whitebrook

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whitebrook
The Whitebrook
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitebrook
intergoal
“Back and better”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Crown was always a top class restaurant so it was very disappointing to see it close last year. I was relieved to hear it had re-opened but wondered if it could reach the same standard. I was very pleasantly surprised, there is no doubt that under the new management The Crown is not only back but its better. The tasting menu was truly outstanding and by some distance the best dining experience I have had on the Welsh side of the Severn. The wine matches were also spot on. I read earlier comments about small portions but this was certainly not my experience and perhaps this has been addressed. Breakfast the following morning was also top class.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank intergoal

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here recently having been told the food was great and following good reviews on Tripadvisor. The food was extremely nice I can't say otherwise, but you should never leave the table feeling hungry which is exactly how my wife and I felt that evening. This was a return to the bad old days of nouvelle cuisine and we expressed our views openly next morning after a more filling breakfast. As someone who runs a publishing business and has worked with some of the best chefs in the country I have to admit to being disappointed. Good cooking is essential but so is the balance between quality and quantity and the Crown just hasn't got it right, not when we visited anyway.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Harvington66
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My sister and I took my mum to The Crown this weekend for her birthday. It was my mum's choice and I was a little apprehensive at first. Yet I couldn't be more wrong! The service was exceptional, the food was beautiful and the wine and cocktails were delicious. My sister, mum and I all throughly enjoyed it and it was worth every penny. I would definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephsmith09
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I was delighted to see that the crown had re opened,my husband and I visited when it was run by the previous owner for lunch a few times, and being to far for dinner took advantage of the march offer of dinner bed and breakfast, pleasantly surprised by the new decor which has created more room and is now bright and modern, our room was a little small but comfortable and spotless, warm welsh cakes on arrival, was very welcome. Our 7course tasting menu with wines to compliment each course was delightful, attention to detail,taste and presentation is defiantly worthy of a star, the service was friendly informative and efficient, and a lovely relaxed atmosphere, breakfast was very nice too. Such a great place to go for a special occasion. Can't wait to go back and taste more culinary delights.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

A lunch to celebrate a special birthday with a group of friends - the food was exceptional and the ambiance and service superb! This is definitely worth the money and the restaurant in the area to return to in the near future!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Penallt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Just had our first visit since the re- opening. Nicely freshened up decore. Slightly disappointed at the limited choices for lunch (2 starters, 2 mains). Having said that the food quality was excellent and very pleasing in flavour complexity. For me the lack of "Michelin" flourish and "edge", is not necessarily a bad thing making it easier and more relaxing to just enjoy the food. We await prices when the current lunch offer ends!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We first visited The Crown at Whitebrook 10 years ago. At that point the previous owners had just taken over & hadn't done anything much to the accommodation.....that bit was.....basic. Expecting nothing much after checking into the rooms we then proceeded to relish, that evening, completely unexpectedly, the best restaurant meal we had ever eaten. We stayed 2 nights & the 2nd night ate the 2nd best we'd ever tasted.
So this visit, this week, fresh from a long walk around Symonds Yat. One night only, booked at short notice,it had 2004 to live up to......... & did it do so.................. in spades. The basic room chosen was small but luxurious, with all the little trimmings, the very best toiletries, tea & proper coffee facility with Welsh Cakes on arrival.
We chose the evening Tasting Menu, part of the deal until the middle of this month. That equalled 2004, lots of little courses exquisitely presented & flavoured, keeping us deliciously entertained for hours & leaving us both comfortably full at the end but not overblown. Exactly what the new owner set out to do. Wine, a decent selection without being ostentatious & not too pricey.
Late & leisurely breakfast next morning, locally sourced produce, a perfect start to the next day.
Steve & Co, it probably cost you a lot of money....but....stay with it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitebrook
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Monmouth
Tintern Old Rectory B&B

Been to The Whitebrook? Share your experiences!