“Vegetarian delight”

The Hunters Moon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We went for my birthday to this pub, we found it purely by surfing the internet and were really pleased we did. It is in the middle of nowhere so don't worry if you think your sat nav is sending you the wrong way. It is a hidden gem, a 13th century pub with lovely food and friendly locals and staff. It was a lovely surprise to find something other than pasta or nut roast for me, the vegetarian butternut squash and feta cheese pie was absolutely gorgeous and the raspberry meringue for pud was to die for. If your staying in this part of the world well worth a visit.

There are newer reviews for The Hunters Moon

Reviewed 24 March 2014

After a long walk in the hills yesterday, we were looking forward to lunch. One of our group had booked us in at this pub, and I'm so glad she'd found it. It was my first visit but there is no way it will be my last.

I'm not sure what was warmer - the fire or the welcome we had from the family that runs the pub! You could order from their Sunday menu or the normal menu, but my partner and I went the traditional route and ordered roast beef. It was delicious; the beef tender and perfectly pink, the (plentiful) roast potatoes golden and crispy, and the Yorkshire puddings well risen and light. The vegetables were in no way an afterthought, either - the carrots were glazed, the peas sweet, the parsnips pureed, and the sprouts given some sort of magic treatment that made several of our party exclaim that they'd convert if all sprouts tasted that good! We were assured that "litres" of gravy would arrive next and my gosh, they weren't joking. We had enough gravy to satisfy even my addiction (and they offered more if we needed it - hurrah for gravy generosity!), and it was the type that my Nana used to make - thick, silky smooth and full of the roasting juices. Heavenly.

Two of our party opted for the vegetarian Sunday lunch, and were delighted to find it was a delicious dish that had care and thought put into it - they thoroughly enjoyed it and said they would recommend it to everyone, veggie or not.

Luckily the walk made us so ravenous that despite having helped myself to seconds from the roast potato dish, I still had room for one of Granny Beryl's crumbles. I'm so glad I did because it was proper, old-school, unpretentious, home-made pudding like you remember from your childhood - yummy!

I would make a trip to Llangattock Lingoed just to visit this lovely country pub, let alone the lovely village and surroundings. It won't be long before I'm back. We didn't take our dog this time but I see on their website that they are dog-friendly in the bar area, which for me is the icing on the cake. The beer garden looks extremely pretty, and would be lovely on a warm day.

1  Thank DorneEdwards
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I was having a drive round the welsh countryside when we stumbled across the hunters moon, we stopped for a bite to eat, what a surprise!!! A warm and friendly welcome and food to die for, made with all local produce, we shall come again, amazing pub

1  Thank Wayner99