“A lucky find!”

The Newbridge on Usk
Ranked #1 of 1 Tredunnock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here with my partner for one night as it was near to a conference I was attending. We were plesantly surprised when we pulled up.

The hotel is a pretty building on the river and has fantastic views and inside it is very quaint and I loved the feel of the place.

We arrived at 12 and couldnt check in till 4 (!!) so we went to the Celtic manor resort and used the spa facilities which is all included and that was lovely.

When we got in our room (number 4) it was again lovely decor and had a big bath and walk in shower and we were rally pleased with it.

We were not pleased with the woman above insisting on walking round in her heels on wood floors, I know this sint the hotels fault but maybe a thought for the people underneath when having floorboards?

We ate at the hotel and the food was fantastic as was breakfast the next day and the service was great.

Some minor annoyances such as the bed being old and lumpy with a dip in the middle and the springs being noisy and the late check in and the noise made it less than perfect but it was still a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Choose the upstairs rooms? Room 4 was lovely but a little noisy if other guests are inconsiderate
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Twedhead
There are newer reviews for The Newbridge on Usk

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I took my partner for a birthday meal and overnight stay, and everything was perfect.

The staff were very attentive and made it feel like a special occasion. The food was excellent and, while expensive, was worth it.

The room was beautiful and comfortable, lovely bathroom, and the view is exceptional. I also like being able to check out at 11am.

I'd choose this over the Celtic Manor any day. You don't feel like you're on a conveyor belt, but an important guest.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Been coming here for years, has seen a few changes of ownership and management, and sadly its now lost a little of its charm. There were no less then tree lunch menus, none were very good value, the service was a little chaotic (wrong wine, orders lost) but I woful add, vert polite. Its not that they are not trying, but you can tell its now just another branch of a large charmless hotel.

Go for a drink, but don't expect anything special should you decide to eat.

2  Thank someoldgit
Reviewed 17 May 2014

we stayed here for our anniversary, room 6 was beautiful, wooden floors, door's that open out looking at the wonderful scenery, staff were so helpful and very attentive, the food was well presented and tasted even better, we will definitely stay here again, if the weather is nice, sit outside down by river and take in the beautiful views, and the added bonus of saying here you get to have the use of the celtic manor resorts facilities, swimming pool and gym, they provide transport if you'd prefer it

Room Tip: room 6!!!! 4 poster bed!!!
1  Thank nathan s
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I havent eaten here recently but the atmosphere has really changed. It feels more like a chain hotel then the little relaxing haven it used to be. Dead plants in the ladies and what the hell is going on with the offensive photos in the ladies loo 'girl watching guy in his pance' their young children who visit this in too!!
The garden used to be a relaxing spot, bucolic, by the river. As a resident of Newport it was a joy to escape here for summers coctail or afternoon tea. There were so many and chairs crowded in one small area you may have well sat on the lap of the guest next to you.
This place is no longer peaceful its about money now and that is so very obvious with the very badly appointed cabinet selling gifts.
Vert sad~however if they sort out the decor and make it look less like an ' Bad Art Bar' and more like the inn that it is. Mr. Matthews sort it out!

1  Thank suze d
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed a night here with friends who had managed to get a splendid deal on the rooms. I appreciated the water and home-made biscuits in the room. I loved the bed, it was large and hard! Perfect for me!
It's a lovely place with friendly service and fine food. The scrambled eggs at breakfast were particularly delicious.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My partner and I were bought a voucher as a gift for dinner and overnight stay. We arrived at 5pm and stayed in the bar for a few drinks before going to our room. We were in room 3 which is the last room on the ground floor. The room was lovely, a nice size with what appeared to be a large bed, we later realised it was two singles pushed together, which isn't unusual but as we had booked a superior double I was somewhat disappointed, it didn't help that the headboard of one bed was so loose you only had to touch the bed and it banged against the wall. Dinner was superb and definitely made the stay, the staff were attentive with out being over bearing. When we went back to our room this is where the stay soured, the bed was so uncomfortable I contemplated driving home it was unbearable, the beds separated and the headboard banged against the wall to the point you were scared to move! Noise form the rooms above didn't help with trying to get to sleep, every foot step and door closing seemed to echo, it started to feel like the longest night of my life! The bathroom was pleasant and clean with a shower over the bath and a curtain around, with in minutes of using the shower the bathroom was flooded the shower curtain just wasn't adequate. Breakfast was again lovely as were the morning staff. I would definitely return for the food one of the best meals I've had, but as for staying here, absolutely not.

Room Tip: Not room 3!
1  Thank Julie T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tredunnock
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
Coldra Court Hotel
Coldra Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Langstone
The Parkway Hotel & Spa

Been to The Newbridge on Usk? Share your experiences!