“Not Bad Food Stop”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Neath
Wellington, New Zealand
“Not Bad Food Stop”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

As we were staying locally for a few days we worked our way round the various watering holes and dinner stops. Nice Resteraunt and bar as part of the hotel. All was well enough in terms if food, you'll get a decent meal but perhaps nothing to write home about. Definately one of the better places to go in the area.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Anthony G
Castle H, General Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Hi Anthony, Thank you for your comments, i am delighted that you found us to be the better place to eat in Neath, we have recently launched a brand new menu and have added an 'extra special' board to our restaurant. We now offer a number of local dishes as well as a pasta and salad section, if you were to visit again in the future, i am certain we now offer a menu worth writing home about.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

A good environment, mid priced, Pinot lovely a quick stop for us before lunch at a rival establishment but venue was so good and comfortable we ended up staying for lunch. Steak very good. Only negatives was peppercorn sauce was not good and corner entrance with random patrons coming from the wet cold outside drifting pass you while you dine. Overall very good and as Arnie said "We'll be back"

Stayed January 2014
Thank you for your comments, it is good to see that you liked our establishment so much that you decided to extend your stay and have lunch, i have passed your comments onto the Chef regarding the peppercorn sauce. our aim is always to turn custom into repeat custom and i am pleased to see that you will return.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Booked this hotel through laterooms.com and managed to get a family room for only £40 as it was the same price as a standard double but with lots of extra space. Greeted warmly by the receptionist upon arrival who explained the location of the bars and other facilities. The place was very inviting and just decorated for the Christmas period.

That evening we went for a walk around the town looking for somewhere to eat, but, after finding nowhere that looked particularly inviting unless we wanted some fast food, we went into the bar area at the hotel. We were shown through to the restaurant area where we were presented with the menu. It was all very nicely decorated. The food arrived quickly and was delicious, it was also very reasonably priced. Again very friendly staff.

The room - A double bed (or should I say 2 singles pushed together which I only noticed when I moved into the middle and felt the ridge) along with 2 other single rooms in a huge sized room at the back of the hotel. The view out of the window wasn't the best, overlooking the backs of the local businesses but that's not the hotel's fault. I didn't book the room for the view, just for a place to sleep overnight in the area. The room was extremely quiet throughout the night I have to say, and I got a great nights sleep.

Ok, the drawback...in the morning I wanted a nice shower to wake myself up. It was a Shower over the bath with the shower head attached to the taps. I turned on the tap and expected to be able to switch the water from coming out of the taps to coming through the shower... I turned the only thing that would turn on the hose but nothing.. Tried a bit more.. Still nothing... I tried pulling it, twisting it, pushing it etc but still nothing! Eventually after turning this nut for about 5 minutes, I managed to get a dribble of water out of the shower head! At last!! The water was extremely hot though and so I turned on the cold tap a little....it went icy cold... I will cut a long story short... This went on for (I kid you not) 15 minutes, trying to get the temperature bearable. I'd have settled for a bit too cold or a bit too hot but couldn't achieve anything close to either! Eventually, I settled for slightly scalding as I was getting pretty annoyed by now. There was no pressure in the water either, but hey, at least it was now working!

The room was very clean and tidy, staff very friendly. And for those who complain that the car park isn't at the hotel, it is literally just down the road, 100 yards away if that!! Hardly a long trek so definitely not a bad point at all. I've stayed in hotels where the car park has been onsite and walked further!

Would stay again as long as I could get the shower working properly :)

Room Tip: Request one at the back, the view isn't the best but from what I've read about the noise, it...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for you comments, all feedback is appreciated as it helps us move forward. i am delighted that you found your stay to represent good value for money and i am pleased you found the Hotel staff friendly and welcoming. i am pleased to say that we have changed a number of mixer taps throughout the Hotel during a recent refurbishment eliminating any problems with water temperature. i hope to see you again on your next trip to Neath.
Southern Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed here Sunday 24th November, staff and reception staff pleasant and polite. Room clean and tidy, and room rate good compared to other local hotels, including branded ones.

Will return again if need to.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Shropshire
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed there on a business trip for a couple of nights earlier this month. Nice entrance but you never know what to expect with the rooms. I walked down a corridor, then through another set of doors and thought "I'm gonna get the room next to the boiler room here"!!!!
When I got into my room, I was pleasantly surprised. Spacious and clean. Nice bright bathroom and a double bed all to myself. Excellent wifi and tea/coffee making facilities. Widescreen TV but I didn't use it so I don't know what sort of channels they have.
I went down to the bar, very popular and cosy warm. Lots of WRU "Welsh Rugby Union" history in the hotel.
I tried the restaurant "Greens" both nights and wasn't disappointed. Sirloin steak the first night and seafood linguine the next - lovely.
All this for £60 B&B per night is what my company paid. Didn't try the breakfast as I'm out and about before the 07:30 start time.
The only downside was that the central heating wasn't on in my room and I had to use an electric heater which kept me awake a bit as the thermostat clicked on and off. Other than that I couldn't fault the place. Oh, and all the staff were very professional and friendly. i'll be going back in a couple of weeks and am actually looking forward to it!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed at the castle hotel with our friends, we stayed as we wanted to go and see the waterfalls in the beacons.
The room was ok, the beds extremely comfortable! The room we had 11 was fairly small but room7 was a good size. Howver in room seven you got a distinct smell of chip fat from the restaurant!
We got a train to swansea for 3 pounds on the first night and went to steak by night restuarant which was bloody lovely.
At night Neath was fairly lively, they have weather spoons which is always good. For drinks and for breakfast the day after! Neath is a small town consisting of one street of shops/restuarants etc.
All in all I though it was good value, although I always think that the review of the hotel is always influenced by the whole experience. We didnt spend much time in the room, but the staff at the hotel were very helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We were welcomed in when we arrived. Our room was up a lot of stairs and a number of doors and to be honest was rather basic. It was clean and quiet and we slept well. We arrived quite late and there were few dining options in Neath and we ate in hotel. The restaurant was busy, there was some sort of sport on TV that had everyone's attention. Table service for breakfast ensured it was a pleasant start to the day. The car park was down the road in the hotel's own lot.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neath
The BlueBell Hotel
Swansea Marriott Hotel
Swansea Marriott Hotel
#4 of 22 in Swansea
Premier Inn Port Talbot Hotel

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!