“Don't bother!!!”

The Ambassador Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Neath
The Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Neath
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Several weeks ago, I reserved a table at the Ambassador "Silver Service" Restaurant for 9 people + extra room for a small baby, for our Mother's Day family get-together. When we arrived on Sunday, I was very upset to be told that I'd only booked for 4 people and there was no way they could accommodate us!!!!!!! The staff were polite but when I asked to speak to the manager, expecting him to sort something out, he was rude and obnoxious and treated us as if it was our fault!!
We were eventually offered a table at the Carvery in the adjoining President's Bar Restaurant but were told we would have only 50 minutes to eat and get out to make room for other customers. This was finally sorted and we were told that we had as much time as we needed.
The food was superb, as it has been for many years, and the staff were very courteous and helpful, but the whole experience was too upsetting for us to fully enjoy our meal.
This was not our first bad experience with disorganisation at this restaurant. I remember my late father, several years ago, comparing our experience to Fawlty Towers!! What a shame for the chef and kitchen staff who provide one of the best Sunday lunches in the country!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank suephils
There are newer reviews for The Ambassador Hotel

Reviewed 31 December 2012

I had a Sunday diner here this weekend it was the carvery I must say that the beef was in the mouth the rest of the buffet was delicious and plenty of it the only thing I could find fault with was that the, I think cabbage, was a pile of concealed green stuff in a small bowl so not very appetizing otherwise I would give them a 5 star.

By the way it's my 3rd visit and I have had the same opinion each time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Booked three rooms here as we were performing in Neath, so looking for somewhere basic but quiet before an early start. The state of this hotel was absolutely horrendous - the first double room one of our party was offered had a window which wouldn't shut, and when the manager was asked by the receptionist to sort it out, he was extremely rude and unhelpful. The single rooms smelled of cigarettes and the bed linen was dirty. The bar across the road also played thumping music until the early hours. Would not return if you payed us- The Bluebell a few doors down is highly superior!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sian_Davies88
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We had our company Xmas party at Presidents last Saturday the meals were terrible, steaks tough edges curled up, horrible hard marrowfat tinned peas, soggy onion rings, some of the desserts were not too appetizing either. I complained to one of the supervisory staff who started her sentence when she arrived at our table with "for your information". There was no apology for the poor quality of the food and and their customer service is worse than terrible.

We will not be returning there next year, in fact we shall be returning to the Castle Hotel where we have had very good food and service in previous years.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank 376Elsa
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We stayed here recently and found the staff to be friendly and welcoming. The rooms and public areas of the hotel are very much in need of updating, especially the bathrooms. old style TV's and dangerous wiring needs looking as does the hot tap running cold water and visa versa. The bedding was mismatched, bulbs were missing from the lights and the curtains didn't fit properly. The rooms are not somewhere you would want to spend much time in! get rid of the old furniture lying around and general furniture, it makes it look very shabby.
Although there is parking at the rear you have to drag you bags round to the front and there is no lighting in the car parking area, very dangerous and scary when traveling alone at night.
The stairs are very steep and whilst there is a stair lift there is no way of getting luggage upstairs which made it very difficult for my elderly parents. no-one offered to help them...
On the plus side the staff were friendly and the food was nice with a good choice on the menu. it is also centrally located. the restaurant is much more up to date and welcoming.
i feel this hotel could actually be lovely with a bit of though, care and attention...

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank risegirl
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I will be honest and say that it is not the newest or most modern of hotels, but it is in a great central location. Our room was basic but clean and everything (shower, tv, kettle etc.) worked fine.

The staff were very helpful and everyone enjoyed the plentiful cooked breakfast. We did not eat at the hotel except for breakfast, however judging by the amount of customers that were in there and the locals that we spoke to during our weekend, the food must be pretty good.

Just be warned that there is a bar (Presidents) in the hotel that stays open until 2a.m. at the weekend, which can be noisy, although it did not affect us during our stay.

Would I pay twice as much for a room elsewhere that I am only going to sleep in? No chance! I would happily go back to the Ambassador everytime!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I am a regular visitor to the Ambassador and the Presidents/Bar, both restaurants are excellent and I would go so far as to say that their Sunday lunch is the best in the area ( but you have to book) that is a good recommendatin in itself. The Ambassor is silver service (what a treat) and the President is a carvery with happy friendly helpful waitresses and bar staff. The Ambassaor is a favourite venue with my English friends and family. , it is also the hub of Neath social life.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Christine R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neath
The BlueBell Hotel
The Towers Hotel & Spa
The Towers Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Jersey Marine
Cwmbach Cottages Guest House

Been to The Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!