“Very good but cottage to hot at night....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Celtic Haven Cottages

and 1 more site!
Celtic Haven Cottages
kent
“Very good but cottage to hot at night....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed for a week in Gardeners cottage with wife and dog. Very friendly and helpful staff and great location. We used the resturant a couple of times and staff were friendly and attentive. I also used the gym and was shown how to use unfamiliar equipment by instructor. Pool is smallish but fine when not busy.
Golf course is short but quite challanging - If you miss fairways it can be very tricky!

The grounds and buildings are very well maintained and our cottage was clean and modern with a very large king-sized bed and wet room.

As I was working for half the week at nearby location the staff kindly let me use a storage room to keep things safe.

Gardeners Cottage. Lacks any windows that can be opened at night and no aircon so it does get extreemly hot in the summer and makes sleeping difficult - no problem during day as main doors can be opened. Reception kindly lent us a fan but of course these are quite noisy. I think Celtic Haven should address this asap. That said, I would recommend the resort and would stay again.

Room Tip: Gardeners Cottage hot at night as no aircon or windows (opening)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
celtic02, Guest Relations Manager at Celtic Haven Cottages, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear tombKent,

Many thanks for leaving us a review, and we're really pleased you enjoyed your break with us!

We're very grateful for your feedback about our new cottage - it's the sort of thing you don't know unless you stay in a property for yourself, so it's really helpful for us. Following your comments we're addressing the issue so we can improve air circulation in this particular property.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back to Celtic Haven soon!

With kind regards,

Sarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Bedfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

we have just returned from another stay at celtic haven in lydstep and once again were not dissapointed. as always plenty to do in the pool and golf course. and the staff cannot do enough to help. Great cottages with views over caldy island, watch cottage that we stayed in was clean with everything you could need.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JollyJules66
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

My wife and I stayed in The Corn Store for a weeks holiday at the end of July. The cottage was very clean and the kitchen / Dining area / Lounge were well laid out. The kitchen area was well equipped, my only minor gripe would be that the double bed (next size up from kingsize) was too big for the bedroom.
We did not use the gym or the swimming pool or any of the spa treatments so cannot comment on them but we observed they were extremely popular with families with young children
We ate in the Restaurant once and the food and service was excellent and we thought good value for money although I imagine for larger familes in would be very expensive. We would have eaten in Waves more often but it was never more than a third full and lacked atmosphere we would also have used the bar for drinks but the layout was all restaurant orientated and not welcoming for drinkers only

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Brecon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

My husband and I stayed in Boot Cottage for 2 weeks with our toddler son and some friends. The cottage was clean and well kept, handy facilities with a dishwasher and washer/drier. It consists of 1 double bedroom on the ground floor which was quite small and two large twin bedrooms upstairs. We choose this cottage as it had 2 bathrooms which were nice with a powerful shower. We were provided with a stair gate and cot, however there was no bed linen for the cot, luckily we had brought a sleeping bad for my son so we took the sheets off another bed and made do. The lounge/dinning area was very small for a cottage catering for 6. We had to move the sofas back to fit around the dining table.
Boot cottage is very close to the waves restaurant so we were able to use our baby monitor in the evening and go next door for a very nice meal. We ate at waves at lunch time, evening and had a take away pizza and each time the food was exceptional (if a little pricey). We went to Celtic Haven in early July it wasn't quite peak season and so was lovely and quiet, however this meant that we weren't as welcome as we'd have hoped. One lunchtime we went for food but had a telling off as they wanted to close the kitchen early (it was 1.30pm). Another evening we decided last minute to go for dinner but found the kitchen had closed (7.45pm) as they didn't have any bookings. Understandable I suppose but when we asked could we have a few drinks we were dealt with by a sullen waitress who clearly just wanted to go home. I would suggest booking in advance off season even if it's just for a light lunch.
I had 2 treatments in the Spa, an indian head massage and a pregnancy massage. Both were excellent. I strongly recommend booking in advance before you go, even outside of school holidays they were booked up all day everyday.
The pool, gym sauna and spa were just about what you'd expect for a resort of this size. Adequate but it would be nice to have larger changing rooms and somewhere for baby changing,
My husband and friends made great use of the golf course and clubs (provided free of charge) despite being complete amatuers. I'm not sure if it would be challenging for anyone who regards themselves as a 'keen golfer' but it seemed to provide entertainment for all abilities and ages.
Tennis was attempted but the rackets provided were poor so bring your own.
The childrens play area was very good and table tennis and table football were available.
We had a lovely time despite the very British weather and I apologise for the negative tone to this review but I was expecting a higher standard due to the pricing and advertising and was a little dissapointed. If you want a nice quiet family break and don't mind paying over the odds for that peace then this is the place for you but if you are looking for luxury accomadation then you will be dissapointed. The service of all staff except at the Waves was friendly and proffesional.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzy P
celtic02, Guest Relations Manager at Celtic Haven Cottages, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you very much for leaving us a review following your recent holiday. All feedback is gratefully received because we continually strive to improve our service and offer a great experience for our guests. We only wish you had come to us during your stay so we could have rectified any issues immediately, as we are always accessible and more than willing to help.

We do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Celtic Haven in the future.

With kind regards,

Sarah
Tadley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

This was our third time in St David's cottage at Celtic Haven. The cottage was well equipped with an upgraded TV and Freeview this year compared with our last time in 2007. The most fantastic thing was that the sun shone on us all week and the whole complex looked stunning - like something out of the med. The staff were attentive, and the facilities good. Good pool, hot tub tennis and the golf were experienced!!! The beach at Lydstep has always held a certain attraction for me since our first time to Lydstep Haven in 1973. The beach remains good although there was a bit of noise from the jet skis! Brilliant location, great facilities and the best way to spend a week in Wales. Well done Celtic Haven...keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Burton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stopped at The Old Forge cottage at Celtic Haven on the 23/6 this year. I stopped for one week with my husband, son and daughter in law. The accommodation consisted of one double and one twin bedroom with open plan kitchen/diner/lounge. There was a patio area that looks out over the golf course and down to the sea. We had an excellent meal in the Waves restaurant on the first night. It took the stress out of the travel down to know that I didn't have to cater for food that night. There is a medium sized swimming pool that we used along with a gym, spa and golf course. The staff that we dealt with we're all very helpful and especially when making the booking. The property was very clean and well presented and any problems were dealt with quickly. One of the draws broke whilst we were there and it was fixed that day. It is a nice quiet environment for child and adults alike. We would have liked larger bath towels to use but this by no means caused any real issue and we all enjoyed our Holiday very much. We have previously stayed at that property and will definately stay again. In fact my husband and I are going to stay again very shortly. I can't recommend Celtic Haven enough.

Room Tip: We recommend staying at The Old Forge
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane K
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed for a week during June 2012 with my husband and his parents. We stayed in the Old Forge cottage. The accommodation consisted of two bedrooms - a double and a twin. There was a bathroom with power shower over bath. There was also a kitchen come dining room/lounge. There was a small hifi and flat screen tv which had a DVD/VHS player. The living room looks out over the golf course and leads out to a small decked patio area. The views were fantastic and looked out to Penally and the sea off of South beach Tenby. We stayed at the property the year before and I used the Spa on both occasions. This time I had a Holistic Welbeing massage by Hayley. It was fantastic and I would thoroughly recommend. I have been lucky enough to have had a number of different massages in various Spas but this was by far the best yet! I would thoroughly recommend! We ate in the Waves restaurant on the first night and the food was of good quality at a reasonable price. Due to the poor weather we did not play golf but we used the course the year before and enjoyed it. All in all we had a great stay. My husband is 6'5" and found the bed too short but this tends to be par for the course. I would stay at Celtic Haven again (we visit Tenby every year) and look forward to my next visit. Thank you

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lydstep
Heywood Spa Hotel
St Brides Spa Hotel
St Brides Spa Hotel
#1 of 5 in Saundersfoot
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,064 reviews

Been to Celtic Haven Cottages? Share your experiences!