“We will be back!”

Celtic Haven Cottages
Reading, United Kingdom
“We will be back!”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Just on way home from a weeks stay at Celtic Haven in Kittiwake cottage, we have had a fabulous time. From booking to handing in the keys, the staff have been great and the facilities are fantastic. The cottage had everything we needed including a washer/dryer which was very useful. We enjoyed the pool as it was open 8.30 to 20.30 so girls went swimming morning and evening after a day out. It was never so busy that they couldn't swim, a lot of the time they had the pool to themselves. I really enjoyed my treatment in the spa and the relaxation room, the girls had their nails painted and everybody was lovely. We had 3 fantastic meals at Waves, the 2 courses for £10 was great and the kids menu was really good, the food on the celtic rock Thursday was also lovely and great value. Pizza's were great as was all the food. We eat outside on 2 occasions, fantastic views.You need to book restaurant and spa as popular with guests and the locals, which is a great reccommendation in itself. A great base to stay, we did loads but never travelled far as so much to do in this area and we could have easily done more if we had stayed longer. Girls loved the trampoline but we didn't get a chance to do all the other activities like pitch and put, tennis or table tennis. Four very happy holiday makers that were sad to leave. A great place and fantastic views.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank the_swimming_girls

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I had a very warm welcome from the staff when we arrived for a girlie weekend with my 2 daughters.
Our accommodation was really comfortable with everything you could need for a self catering holiday.
The food in The Waves restaurant was excellent and the views from the terrace were superb
We also had some Spa treatment which was very relaxing.
As the weather was really good when we were there, it would have been nice to stay longer.
I would certainly recommend The Celtic Haven to family and friends and look forward to returning.
The location is also very good to explore West Wales.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

stayed 5 days from 15 july but wish we had stayed longer reception staff extremely helpful when we pointed out problem with our accommodation and they upgraded us to headland house, wonderful views from 2 bedrooms kitchen livingroom and garden. my son daughter in law and 3year old granddaughter thought the setting and facilities excellent with little extras included like free golf clubs and the little pavilion a lovely place to sit for some me time. the whole place has a very relaxing feel and the childrens facilities just right. Would recommend Celtic Haven highly and hope to return soon

Room Tip: properties near tennis courts best for children with trampoline and large playfield
2 Thank ann f
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We have just returned from a lovely long weekend at Celtic Haven where we celebrated our niece's wedding. We stayed in The Corn Store, one of the 1-bedroom cottages (the only one with a conservatory) and thought it was great. Kim & her team are absolutely fantastic, nothing is too much trouble and they make you feel like someone special throughout your stay. The staff in Waves helped to make for a memorable day - the food and service was excellent. Will be visiting again very soon - Thanks Kim & Team you are great.

Room Tip: The conservatory did get rather hot this weekend but the weather has been exceptional. Don't be...
London
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Recently returned from a lovely break at Celtic Haven. Very impressed with the standard of accommodation, competitive prices and friendly welcome. Customer Service was excellent from the point of enquiry, through to booking and checking out. The cottage we stayed in was well furnished and extremely well equipped. It was also clean and comfortable. For us, with a toddler to keep happy, the benefits of having a small garden with our cottage, along with the excellent on site facilities- restaurant, indoor pool, playground, trampoline etc- made our stay stress free and very enjoyable. Excellent location on the beautiful Pembrokeshire coastline enjoying tranquility yet with easy access into nearby Tenby for a wider range of facilities.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

It is clear that an awful lot of thought has gone into Celtic Haven and the results are very good indeed.

From my personal point of view, I could have chosen a better cottage. Caddy's Cottage is designed for two (I was on my own), but I still found it quite small - there is not enough room for 'stuff'. Nowhere to store walking boots or golf clubs or fishing gear or surfboards or any of the other things that I might have taken with me. As it happens, I did not take all of those, but still found myself surrounded by clutter, rather than being able to tidy it away. In honesty, from this point of view, I wouldn't recommend it for more than a weekend visit unless you travel very light.

There was also a lack of privacy - a big, glass front to the cottage, which meant that if you wanted any privacy you needed to keep the blind closed and therefore the daylight out. Overall, my impression of this specific cottage was style over substance, and I wondered if anyone had tried actually staying in it before it was marketed to customers. The kitchen was a hassle - not much in the way of work surface (you could use the toaster or the kettle, but not both at the same time), and for the price I would have expected a decent standard of kitchen equipment, such as a non-stick frying pan.

Aside from the accommodation, I was generally impressed. I did not eat in Waves restaurant, but from what I could see, it looked good. The pool was fine, but I can imagine at a busier time it will get congested. The gym, although small, looked well-equipped - but I did not use it.

I did play the golf course - a challenge for someone of my limited ability - until I got fed up of losing balls. A difficult balance to get something interesting enough for an experienced golfer and not too demoralising for a hacker like me. Generally the course was in good shape; a couple of the greens required attention.

Wi-fi was only available in Waves (or just outside the front door of it, as I discovered). The team did explain that they had been investigating getting it across the facility but it was proving a challenge logistically. I think this is a critically important matter to resolve and I would like to see free wi-fi across the park before my next visit - certainly given the price.

For the amount of money I paid, I was slightly disappointed in the accommodation itself - a decent caravan on the nearby Lydstep Beach park would have served my specific needs better - but I would not have had access to the golf course, for example. I am not sure that Celtic Haven are geared up for a single traveller - I don't imagine that I am in the target market - and perhaps a reasonable single person discount could be applied.

Final thoughts - allocated car parking spaces in the small car park next to the main entrance would be sensible; and the staff I came into contact with were excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
West Kirby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This was our third visit to Celtic haven but the first without children. The site has improved considerably in recent years and is an ideal place for a family holiday. We stayed in the Green Keeper's Cottage, which is an apartment for two people - to be honest we found it a bit small and so next time would book a larger cottage. It was rather sparse with minimal crockery and kitchen equipment. Everything was like new but there wasn't really enough of it - a tea pot for one is not much use to two people. But having said that we were comfortable and we had a great holiday. The view from the windows was amazing and there was a lovely balcony to sit on. The staff are exceptional - Waves restaurant is excellent and the pool and hot tub were excellent. We will certainly go again - but just opt for different accomodation

Room Tip: take a good look and the photos in the brochure - there is a map which shows you where all the cott...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lydstep
Heywood Spa Hotel
#12 of 23 in Tenby
YHA Manorbier
YHA Manorbier
#1 of 1 in Manorbier

Been to Celtic Haven Cottages? Share your experiences!