“tasty, pricey, brusque”
Review of Stackpole Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stackpole
Stackpole Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Stackpole B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2014

we go on holiday to Stackpole every year, and we always have a meal at the Inn. Every year the staff are brusque and it feels expensive, but the food is good - as is the beer.

highlight was a couple of years ago there was a sign on the door: 'if the door is shut, we are shut, so don't knock'.

having said that we'll be back next year. better children's menu would be nice too.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently stayed here for two nights, it's a beautiful corner of the world. Accomodation and foodwise, the Stackpole Inn is one of very few options, the lack of competitors must be the reason why they let standards slip on so many levels. Upon arrival a guy showed us to our room up a flight of stairs, no help with the luggage was offered. The room itself was very lovely and bright (be sure to get an upstairs room) but unfortunately the bathroom was far from clean. The corners of the shower box were black, around the buttons and switches of the electrical shower dirt had accumulated, the hand-wash liquid holder at the sink was disgustingly dirty. We pointed this out to the owner who apologised and had the bathroom cleaned for the second day of our stay. We also dined for two evenings, the food was good but nothing special. Upsettingly, I was mocked twice by a waiter for having politely asked to be served a dish on a plate instead of a wooden board. Tables a covered in a plastic cloth which didn't appeal very much to us, neither did the summarily wiped placemats. To sum it up: the have a nice place there but really need to improve their standard of service and cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you can manage the stairs, ask for an upstairs room. Downstairs seemed rather dark.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank frome99
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I booked a table for Sunday evening at the beginning of service and because of the beautiful weather, asked if it would be alright to eat outside. The owner seemed quite irked by our request and emphasised that once we had made such a decision, there would be no going back because they were fully booked. His manner was brusque and he seemed to be excessively annoyed by such a minor change to the evening's schedule. The food was disappointing and seemed a bit expensive. My wife and I have dined there on and off since 2003 and the fish specials used to be brilliant. No longer, I'm sorry to say. The Mozzarella and tomato salad was practically flavourless as was the fillet of plaice, which was also soggy. My whole roasted sea bream was cooked very nicely but the fish itself had very little flavour. A basic green salad and some new potatoes didn't seem to justify the £17.50 my main course cost. On the positive side, the staff were polite and attentive and the beer was good. When I went to pay, the owner made a poor joke about cloning my wife's card. While the transaction was ongoing he seemed to make an effort to engage but the second the payment came through, he handed my card back without a word and without eye contact. I made sure to thank him as I left, which he just about acknowledged. Despite his emphasis on how heavily booked they were, I noticed that the restaurant was only half-full when we left. I know from my own job that dealing with the general public can be tiring and frustrating but if you have chosen to be front of house in your own business, you have to try to be pleasant and, within reason, flexible. Front of house is no place for an angry person and the impatient and unfriendly manner of the owner means I will not be dining there again.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank pembsdiner
Gary E, Owner at Stackpole Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Good evening and thanks for your review. Firstly, I can assure you that you were not, in any way, dealing with the owner of the Inn on the evening in question. My wife and I tend not to work on Sunday evenings. My name is Gary, my wife Becky, and I can assure you that we value any custom and understand the manner in which all customers should, and normally are, treated when they dine with us. I can only apologise for the complete failure on our part to make your evening the relaxed and enjoyable dining experience it should have been and hope that, if we can tempt you back, you will make yourselves known to Becky or myself so that we can apologise for the unacceptable behaviour of one of our staff members in person.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and were immediately made welcome. We were shown straight to our room which was clean and well decorated with a massive comfy bed. There was also a complimentary bottle of sherry. The food was the best I've had in a long time and the breakfast was perfect. Try the lava bread oatcakes - yum.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just returned from a short break to Pembroke with family. Booked an evening meal at the Stackpole Inn as we had been told the food was good. Will not quibble about the 55 minute wait for the food to arrive, as it is cooked to order. The dressed crab must have been "farmed"' as size too small for acceptable limit. Fish dish of baked bream acceptable but boiled potatoes and half a plate of rocket, hardly gourmet cooking!

One of the sweets on offer Raspberry Creme Brûlée - OMG! Once the caramel topping had been broken the resultant creme was a liquid mess. Perhaps the chef should familiarise himself with the recipe, to include egg yolks. Otherwise change the description,

All in all a very poor meal experience expensively priced

I would suggest potential clients try the pub at Freshwater East (Freshwater Inn), ..just a few miles away. Superb views overlooking the Bay. Steaks to die for, and a great menu, very reasonably priced. Plus friendly staff .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Susie W
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Ate here today with friends. Been a while since last visit and what a change and certainly not for the better! Agree with others in that the owner is sullen, brusque, completely disinterested and quite clearly suffers from an infliction that prevents any facial movement pertaining to a smile. Food really is completely overpriced. The lack of detail to the overall presentation is apparent. £6.50 for a starter consisting of some rocket leaves, three slices of melon with skin still on and a spoonful of practically liquid crab was hardly appeasing to the eye. Almost £20 for a sirloin steak which was in itself tasty but disappointing by the size and the few accompaniments. The hand cut chips had clearly not been cut by hand. £6 for the smallest creme brûlée ever with not even a sniff of a garnish to justify the cost. It is apparent that the owners feel they have a market that is accepting of what they offer. Having worked in customer service for many years I can say that people not only vote with their feet but also provide the worst possible advertising about their experience as they tell so many others. We are local and eat out a lot but will not be returning as the stackpole inn fell down at so many levels and did nothing to redeem themselves. When serving food you can never rest on your laurels as that is when inconsistency and complacency kicks in which is what seems to have happened here - shame .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank T S M
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The Stackpole Inn cannot be faulted as a holiday destination. The loudest noise is the birds!
The food is varied and excellent, it well deserves the epithet gastropub. The menu was varied and catered for both vegetarian and piscine tastes as well as those of us who'll eat anything.
The Inn is warm and friendly as are the staff. Nothing was too much trouble, even a sick car. Mobile phone reception was no-existent, so we were allowed to use the pub's phone to call for assistance.
The room was well-appointed and large, plenty of room to move about, and ample storage, including a private locker. The mirrors in particular were well-sited, and two windows made the room light and airy. The shower was a revelation, a double-sized cubicle - very unusual and most welcome, with instant hot water and good pressure. Set apart from the main building, it provided a comfortable retreat and noise was never a problem.
All in all, I would definitely recommend The Stackpole Inn to anyone who wanted a quiet holiday, especially with walking in mind. You will not regret it. And I'm going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground-floor room if you dislike stairs. They're on the outside.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stackpole
Grove of Narberth
#1 of 2 in Pembroke Dock
Beggars Reach Hotel
Beggars Reach Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burton

Been to Stackpole Inn? Share your experiences!