“Santa Steam Train”

Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Blaenavon
More attraction details
Owner description: Blaenavon's Heritage Railway is located in the heart of the Blaenaon World Heritage Site on the edge of the Brecon Beacons in South Wales. There is ample free car and coach parking at Furnace Sidings, our main station located close to the Garn Lakes. From Furnace Sidings our trains head both north to the Whistle Inn, and south to Blaenavon High Level Station, located above Blaenavon town centre. Since 2011 we also have a separate branch serving Big Pit Halt, adjacent to the Big Pit national mining museum. Whether you're looking for a family day out, or are a devoted railway enthusiast, we have something for you. With free car parking at Furnace sidings, why not combine a visit to Big Pit with a ride on the train? Enjoy a snack in the tea room at Furnace Sidings, or shop in Eric's Emporium (an outpost of The Railway Shop in Blaenavon) stocking a selection of railway models, gifts and souvenirs. Many trains also have a buffet service offering light refreshments.
Reviewed 22 December 2013

All who went on the Santa steam train enjoyed themselves. The little girl we took [who was my granddaughters friend] really enjoyed the train ride and loved Santa and her present, Only disappointment was that our little granddaughter could not come as she was ill. Still she got her present from Santa. Santa look so real and well dressed. My grown up daughter sat on his knee for a photo which made her day
It was a little cramped in the Whistle Inn but felt like Christmas with the carols and some people singing
We were given minced pies and sherry or a soft drink on the train, Even the little girl was given a soft drink and mince pie, Definitely would go next year

3  Thank Mragaret S
Jamie W, Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway Society at Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you very much for your review! I'm glad your granddaughter's friend and your daughter enjoyed the day, though I'm sorry to hear that your granddaughter wasn't well enough to visit.

We try not to make it too cramped at the Whistle Inn by limiting the amount of people who can visit Santa at one time; however, we are limited by the size of the building. I'm pleased to know that you found the atmosphere very much like Christmas though!

I wish you and your family the very best for 2014, and we would very much like to see you again!

Regards,
Jamie L W (Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway)

All reviews
"special mention"
"family ticket"
"gift shop is"

Reviewed 15 December 2013

The family all enjoyed the fabulous Santa Train today. I echo everything that Sarahjj74 has said in her review. Just two things to add:

The visit to Santa (at the Whistle Inn) was excellent - even my teenage son was impressed with both Santa and the present! Obviously quite a bit of thought is given to the presents and both my kids (14 and 9) were very happy with what they received.

The pub offers a good selection of bottled ales, many from Wales, and with the open fire roaring, it was a great place to relax for a bit. Just wish we'd planned our day a bit better, otherwise we would have stayed for lunch (and another beer or two).

All in all great fun, helped enormously by the railway (and pub) staff, all of whom were cheery despite the driving rain!

2  Thank The_Tripmeister555
Jamie W, Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway Society at Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you very much for your review!

I'm pleased you and your family enjoyed your visit to the railway! I'm glad that like Sarahjj74,
you found Santa's presents suitable and of a good quality; it makes Santa's difficult choices worthwhile! We do highly recommend visiting the Whistle Inn and sampling its high quality local ales; and personally I would advise combining your visit to Santa with a meal and a drink (or two if you're not driving!) in the inn.

Speaking as the young man who was out on the platform all day on Sunday, I can say that we do expect a bit of harsh weather from time to time this far up, so we don't let it get us down!

We look forward to seeing you again, and all the very best for 2014!

Regards,
Jamie W (Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway Society)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Absolutely amazing Santa train,excellent value for money ,fantastic present not cheap rubbish a descent present worth at least £10,,the right present for the right age,,that's a massive plus,,,the train ride up to the grotto was fun,,went along could get on and off at the stops..also if u wanted to you can eat at the pub after seeing santa ,,
Santa was so real,,all the kids thought he was the real one his own white hair and beard ,,,even I thought it was the real one,,haha sherry and mince pies for adults and mince pies and cold drinks for the children or if driving a cold drink ,,
,we had our own cabin on the train so the kids thought that was brilliant,,Defo recommend and will Defo go back next year,,but as its so popular you need to book online,, easy to get to,,even if it snows the train and Santa still runs,,which is fanastic ,,even more memorable,,,

2  Thank Sarahjj74

Hello Sarah,

Thank you very much for your kind comments! We are glad that you enjoyed your day at the railway, and we are pleased that your children enjoyed their gifts; it makes all the effort put into the event by our volunteers worthwhile! I'm certain that you know how choosing the right present is always a difficult, and I'm glad that you and your children feel that Santa managed to get it right!

I strongly agree with your comments that you need to book your place for the Santa events due to their popularity as remaining services for 2013 are fully booked. Although the trains will often run with empty seats, it's more to do with allowing children to have a decent amount of time to see Santa, rather than purely dealing with the volume alone.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Jamie (Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway Society)

Reviewed 10 November 2013

If like me, you love steam trains, then you will love this little railway and the gorgeous steam train. £11 per adult, a lovely view of the countryside and a lovely experience. We went in the rain, and I can imagine it being marvellous in the sunshine. Cafe and model railway at the Station and a small cafe at the halfway stop.

2  Thank mynonnaEly