“disapointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Groes-faen
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“disapointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The building and the grounds that they are set in are stunning, but on booking in and being shown the room excitement soon turned to disappointment on the over all condition of the rooms and decor, water stained ceilings, chipped woodwork let it down, also water was luke warm in the bathroom had to be moved to a second room after complaining twice, also waiting staff seemed under trained as running around like headless chickens without any results... did not even have common courtesy to reply to an email pointing these facts out .. would NOT stay again even if rooms were less than half price

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank indiereine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We ate in the restaurant as a special treat for my Mum on Mothers Day weekend. Our first impressions lived up to our expectations, a grand, imposing manor house with roaring open fires and lots of quirky features. The menu sounded impressive and we were really looking forward to our meal. However, the food itself was disappointing; not bad, just not as good as we had expected based on our experience of other restaurants in the same price range. The service, sadly, was very poor, almost laughable. The waiter knew nothing about the wine list and there was no finesse whatsoever. To finish it all off, I pointed out some inaccuracies with our bill and, having accepted my queries, the waiter 'rewarded' me with a "Good shout, well spotted." Would we eat here again? Yes, despite the failings we had a good evening & my Mum enjoyed herself. We would just go with lower expectations next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Juli C
Llanrwst, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed overnight on a business trip, and attended a meeting the following day, also at this hotel. When I arrived, the room I was given was spacious and comfortable, but I asked for a different one as I thought it didn't smell as fresh as I would like it too. The manager (owner) was extremely helpful, and immediately offered me an alternative which was (in my opinion) much cleaner.The decor is olde-worlde luxe, with brocade curtains and bedspreads, antique-style furniture and even a marble wash stand in my room. The rooms that were shown to me are very generously proportioned with large windows and pleasant views of the gardens.
I always use earplugs to sleep when I travel, and I slept well in a beautifully clean, comfortable bed.
The only disappointment was the food. I have to admit that the breakfast was poor. The sausage had been cooked the night before and were insufficiently reheated, and the bacon had a strange texture, possible having been kept warm or even rehated in stock or water, as it had a texture that reminded me of stewed, not grilled, meat.
The room and breakfast cost me £110 for one night midweek in March.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed for two nights in February 2014 whilst attending a wedding. Unlike some other hotels, Miskin Manor were happy to offer the discounted wedding rate for both the night before and the night of the wedding, which was very much appreciated.

As I was the best man my partner and I went for one of the four poster rooms, which was absolutely huge and looked out over the courtyard at the back of the hotel. The room itself was clean and the bed very comfortable; if there were any negatives it was the lighting which was very dim. However, I thought this was in keeping with the style of the hotel so this didn't bother me. The bathroom had been refurbished at some point in the not too distant past, and presented no problems.

We did have to wait a fair while for our breakfast on the first morning, because of a business function in an adjacent room.

The staff were very welcoming and answered all questions very swiftly and without any fuss. As for location this hotel couldn't be much nearer the M4, but I certainly didn't notice any noise from passing traffic and this didn't take anything away from the Manor's idyllic setting.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to check out the health club or spa facilities.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jersey, Channel Islands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed for two nights attending a wedding. The venue is wonderful, set in lovely grounds with a country house atmosphere. All the public rooms were splendid, inviting and relaxing. Our room, Room 9 was delightful being large and totally in keeping with the ambiance of the hotel. A wonderfully soft bed, comfy chairs, and a feeling of spaciousness. The bathroom was a bit of a let down and could do with a remodel. The shower had no hot water but the hotel gave us the room opposite where we could shower whilst staying in the original room so this was a really good solution.
Breakfasts were hit and miss. Service was slow, not from the friendly lady who went out of her way to help, the fault lying with the chef who seemed unable to prepare more than one breakfast at a time. The first morning we were there they had none of the breakfast fish dishes and the simple scrambled egg and omelette too forever to arrive. Friends had a full English and a vegetarian English - some items were still semi frozen! The second morning, due to the wedding numbers it was a buffet breakfast of variable quality.
We ate in the bar the first night and the cajun salmon salad was very good but friends ate in the restaurant and were critical.
As a wedding venue the hotel is excellent and with a little tweaking it would have received a 5 star rating. If in the area we would certainly return.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a superior room (9), I thought they were better than the more expensive Four Poster ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Went to a wedding at this venue, we had a beautiful room, overlooking the front of the hotel, the room large and spacious and lovely leather chairs, set into the window, so can watch the world go by. Lovely en suite and toiletries. Relations stayed in a lodge, again it was lovely and spacious, maybe not too many spare items, ie 4 cups, 4 plates, 4 glasses etc, but we all had an enjoyable stay and would certainly go back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Orpington, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed one night in room 21. The room was a good size, bed was firm but comfortable, no lumps & bumps.
The kettle was on top of a tall chest of drawers & nowhere near a socket, so making tea was a bit of a problem as the kettle had to stand on the floor! The room locked with a traditional key, so had to remember to re-lock on leaving.
The staff were without exception cheerful and polite.
The breakfast selection was good, plenty of choice.
I was disappointed with the decor, faded stained carpet, cheap framed prints, peeling paint on the woodwork and bedside tables long overdue a trip to the tip or french polishers (see photo's). I found the fake block walls in the hallways a bit strange, but that's probably a matter of taste.
The building itself and it's surroundings were fabulous.

Room Tip: room 27 - lovely suite with four poster bed. Room sizes vary.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tracy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groes-faen
The Bear Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,561 reviews
Coed-Y-Mwstwr Hotel
Coed-Y-Mwstwr Hotel
#3 of 9 in Bridgend

Been to Miskin Manor Hotel and Health Club? Share your experiences!