“You MUST try this place!”

Balloo House Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Killinchy
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Banbridge, United Kingdom
“You MUST try this place!”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My wife and I visited last Friday evening and ate upstairs in the restaurant proper rather than downstairs in the bistro area. The ambiance of the place is very pleasing, a cosy lounge bar area that you first walk into featured a real coal fire which was very welcome considering it was near arctic conditions outside.
Having enjoyed a drink we perused the menus and placed our orders. Shortly thereafter we were escorted into the dining area which was both elegant and inviting. Breads were provided followed by an amuse bouche just to whet the appetite.
As for the meal itself in summary it was damn near perfect. My wife and I have both eaten in some of the best restaurants in Ireland and the UK and the meal we enjoyed in Balloo House was on a par with the best of them.
My crab starter was excellent (19/20), my pheasant main course sublime, probably the best I've ever eaten (20/20), and my chocolate desert very good although it did lack something of the originality and flair that had been evident in the other courses, (18/20).
The meal was also blindingly good value so we had availed of an offer found on the internet. However, even paying full menu prices you'll still be getting first class food at third class prices. To sum up, I strongly recommend you make ever effort to eat in this restaurant, it's one of the best.

• Visited January 2014

Ballynahinch, United Kingdom
“Pay the price for fine dining upstairs”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I have never eaten downstairs but recently my boyfriend and I booked a table upstairs where they serve fine dining food. It's very expensive so save it for special occasions! The food was fantastic! And service was fab. Portion sizes extremely small, but delicious, that's the idea of fine dining!

Belfast
“Cannot wait to go back !”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We visit Balloo quite frequently - both the upstairs restaurant and the downstairs bistro. We dined upstairs recently with friends and all of us very pleased with the standard of food and service. We arrived to a roaring fire in the upstairs bar and enjoyed Kir Royales before dinner. Once seated for dinner, we had the usual bread selection including the fab Guinness wheaten followed by the delicious amuse bouche. My partner and I had the strangford prawn tortellini to start whilst our friends opted for the pigeon- all delicious. My partner and I then opted for the monkfish special for mains (we would not normally choose the same starters and mains but seems we both chose wisely on this occasion as both courses were fabulous)! I had the parfait for dessert whilst the rest of the table opted for cheeseboard for dessert. Oh and the pre-dessert was excellent too. Service was great but not intrusive and wine list excellent too. After dinner, we enjoyed a few more drinks in the comfy seats by the fire and the guys enjoyed a cigar on the mezzanine outside!! Great night. We have also dined at the downstairs bistro a good few times lately and been very pleased overall and will be back again soon.

• Visited October 2013
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Fabulous meal with wonderful service”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We are regular visitors to Balloo house, but last night it surpassed itself!

We arrived and had a drink by the lovely fire in the cosy bar while choosing from the Christmas set menu, before being seated in the restaurant.

We were served delicious homemade bread which was followed by a lovely amuse bouche which was a pheasant consume served in pretty glass cups.

For starters we had duck pithivier and the pigeon with lentils. Absolutely gorgeous.

For our main we had duck confit and Finnebrogue venison. Both were absolutely delicious!

Deserts were good, and beautifully presented but we aren't really desert people so didn't manage to finish them.

The wine is very reasonably priced for a top class restaurant.

The service from Stephen was second to none. Afterwards we went downstairs to the bar where live music was being played. Not for the first time we found the locals to be extremely friendly and enjoyed some great craic. All in all a brilliant night out.

• Visited December 2013
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Not as good as they think they are”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

All starters £10-12. My prawn starter had one prawn!
Sirloin main - tiny steak.
Dessert - pretty on the plate, but banal flavours.
A few flavour highlights, but nowhere near good enough for the price.

• Visited November 2013