“Outstanding Service and outstanding Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Balloo House Restaurant

Balloo House Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Killinchy
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Service and outstanding Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Went today with my Granddad and three friends I had one of the best steaks i have had in many years. The lady that served us was very polite and friendly and excellent service from her.
The food was fantastic starters and main for 5 people the bill including drinks was around £125 for 5 people starters and mains. I have heard for many years about the great food but never went. Highly recommend this for people who love traditional great food! Can no praise enough the lady that served us did not get her name but outstanding service.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Belfast
“Lovely meal once again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We dined at Balloo House restaurant upstairs on Friday evening and once again had a very enjoyable meal from start to finish. We enjoyed a pre drink dinner whilst viewing the menus and wine list and were subsequently shown into the dining room. We enjoyed a ham hock and pea based amuse-bouche prior to our starters- I am not a big fan of peas generally however this was lovely and very refreshing. We also enjoyed the freshly baked bread- we opted to try the olive bread and the customary guinness wheaten. For starters, I had the tandoori cured salmon with crab, cucumber and clandeboye yoghurt which was delicious- my boyfriend had the asparagus with egg yolk confit, guanciale and morels. Both starters were excellent which was a sign of things to come and what we have come to expect from Balloo restaurant over the many years of enjoying meals there. For main, unusually we both opted for the same main which was seared scallops, black rice, spring vegetables and parmesan. We both throughly enjoyed this too, as well as the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc we had ordered from the extensive wine list which contains a great range of Old World and New World wines. The pre-dessert was a light and refreshing strawberry pannacotta which was lovely. My boyfriend opted for the Lemon and Szechuan Financier dessert which was served with aerated chocolate, candied popcorn and popcorn icecream, whilst I had the Peach and Raspberry Millefeuille with balsamic icecream and americanos. Both desserts were good however my boyfriend's dessert was probably better than mine and also the millefeuille was not as nice as one which I get frequently at another more casual but excellent restaurant that we also visit regularly. However, my dessert was still good but just not as excellent as other desserts I have had at Balloo restaurant. We finished off with a night cap back in the comfy seats which was very pleasant. The service was excellent throughout and we recognised a number of the staff from previous visits which is a good sign in terms of retention. The waitress who served us was excellent and very professional, as were those working in the bar area.

• Visited May 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“It never disappoints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I have always loved this place and have been frequenting here for many years. Before we married my husband and I came here , many years later and now with 2 kids in tow it is still my number 1! I love the atmosphere, I love the staff and most importantly I love the food. Always spoilt for choice from the ever evolving menu. It is grown up but family friendly at the same time. I never ever tire of a night out at balloo. The newly refurbed poachers which is actually my local has a long way to come to compliment this establish!

Visited May 2014
belfast
“Over rated!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Living in saintfield you are limited as to where to go for food. You have a handful of places I.e- white horse, balloo, dicks etc. We over the last couple of times have decided to go to balloo. First time was last year and we had a disappointing meal resulting in getting all the food taken of the bill. Because it was so bad we decided we would not return. As I said before when in saintfield you are limited to places. Tried to get a table at lisbarnett but it was fully booked so we thought we would give balloo another chance to redeem itself. First impressions were good Nice menu and specials. Had a look though and decided what we would have. The Waiter came to take our order and I do appreciate it was busy but it was like we were being served by a tombstone. I had whipped goats cheese which was a great dish my partner had the chowder and he described it as mediocre. A bottle of white was ordered and it came out well above a pleasant drinking temperature, ice was requested. For mains I had the special of hake and garlic prawns. The fish and prawns were nice but the accompaniments reminded me of school dinners. Boiled cauliflower, burnt dry potatoes. I did raise awerness about the burnt potatoes to the waitress, she did ask if I woukd like a fresh one but I declined. When I had almost finished my meal a diffrent waitress arrived with a new portion of potatos ???????? My partner went with the Asian duck, the duck was cooked to perfection and the flavour was there but thats where it ended. The noodles arround the edge of the plate were rock hard and the duck confit spring rolls were tasted and left on the plate. They were like a two day old tuna sandwich. Not surprisingly we did not order dessert. Front of house staff are like something from the stone age. At the end of the day it is the costumer that is keeping them in a job, a bit of personality and less rudness would go a really long way. We wont be back

2 Thank michaela00000
Belfast
“Upstairs is worth every penny”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

From the moment you enter the intimate private bar at Upstairs at Balloo you are treated with a welcoming classic respect. Costs are taken, pre drink order taken and menus given to peruse. Service was excellent, discreet and attentive but not overbearing, the food was exquisite and the chairs very comfortable which meant leaving was a problem!!! I highly recommend Upstairs at Balloo to anyone.

• Visited January 2014