“Special in every way” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mill at Balloo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Killinchy
The Mill at Balloo
Ranked #2 of 4 Killinchy B&B and Inns
vermont
“Special in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

It's a pure treat for yourself and your loved one to stay at The Mill at Balloo. The setting is very private and rural although you are in walking distance of one of the best restaurants I've ever had the chance to dine at, The Balloo House. In fact, I made the delightful mistake of thinking they were one and the same as they hold the same standards of excellency. But back to the B&B; the owners Paul and Janice, make you feel as though you were friends coming for a stay. Friends whose privacy is respected and every need met. Our room, the front room with the mechanical dealings of the mill hanging in the rafters above us, was no less than awesome. I lay in bed simply admiring the beauty of the room and reminiscing the workings of the mill, as well as the thrill in remodeling the old mill into a lovely B&B. See the photographs included of our room (with red bedspreads). Breakfast is included and Janice is on morning duty. With a friendly smile she serves up a scrumptious and hearty breakfast - and we had the pleasure of being the first guests to enjoy, what I dubbed, Breakfast with Moo (a painting by a local artist - also included in photos). We have family in the area and no doubt, this will be our stay when we head to Killinchy. But with its location, if I were headed to Belfast or anywhere in the Ards, this is where I would toss my hat and kick up my feet.

Room Tip: try them all!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hancock V
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I feel so lucky to have stayed here. The old mill building has been renovated to perfection with the wheel and its workings still on show and beautifully integrated. Paul & Janice are the perfect hosts. Breakfast was dreamy, so was the bed. If the afterlife is not like this I shall be eternally disappointed. I want to go back. I have to go back. Please.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan M
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Beatiful b&b - perfectly renovated mill with mill wheel and mill works on display. Comfortable beds and a delicious breakfast. Just stayed one night. A bit off the beaten path - Paul and Janice were very gracious.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

We have just spent a one night stay here with friends and couldn't fault it in any way. Janice and Paul set out to please and couldn't do enough for us. No did not seem to be in their vocabulary. Breakfast was the best I've seen and they deserve the success which is coming their way.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

We heard good things about Balloo house restaurant, but never visited because it is quite far away from home and the idea of dinner without wine appealed. We then came across an offer of a 5 course meal at Balloo House and a stay at the Mill for two for £100 in total and thought we would treat ourselves.

We were met by Paul and Janice who were both very friendly and showed us to our room which was converted from an old mill and had some of the original mill machinery attached to the beams in the room. The room was spacious, clean, quirky, well heated, had free wifi and had an excellent en-suite bathroom and its own front door so we could come and go without having to disturb our hosts.

The B&B is a short walk from Balloo House which has a lovely restaurant and is worth a visit. I'd fully recommend The Mill if you want to stay in this area. It knocked my expectations of a Northern Ireland B&B completely out of the water.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms. I'd fully recommend the beam room with its own front door, though the...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sdempsey
Killyleagh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

My family have been long term residents of The Mill at Balloo due to a house fire.
I can honestly say that Paul and Janice have raised the bar in terms of standards for bed and breakfasts in Northern Ireland.
I was so impressed with the rooms,the breakfast and the kindness of our hosts.
Janice has great taste in soft furnishings so the whole house is both interesting and stylish.
The bathroom facilities and the comfort of our beds were second to none.
The location too as previous reviewers have commented on is perfect for a stroll to Balloo house or the shops.
All in all without reservation I would say "Look no further" if you are staying in the area and / or dining at Balloo House.
Very well done!

Room Tip: Both rooms superb. For romance? THe River room.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

My husband brought me here as a surprise for my birthday. We had a great time. We stayed in the Beam room which was really lovely and very spacious. We are going back this weekend for his birthday - this time we have booked The River room. We are both really looking forward to our stay.
We just love this place and the couple who own it!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killinchy
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Bayview House
Bayview House
#4 of 4 in Killinchy
Anna's House
Anna's House
#2 of 2 in Comber
The Old Schoolhouse Inn

Been to The Mill at Balloo? Share your experiences!