“Unusual and Memorable B&B”
Review of The Mill at Balloo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Killinchy
The Mill at Balloo
Ranked #2 of 4 Killinchy B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Unusual and Memorable B&B”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I like this place. Stayed here for one night as had business locally and wanted to take clients out at the local restaurant. Its very rural and farming community so if you want some peace and quiet then you are in luck! My room was very interesting - a kind of tastefully converted barn and really huge with two big comfy beds and a large flat screen tv. I could stay longer but alas.....might come back with my wife though! Family that run this place are very friendly and also gave me a lift to the restaurant which I thought was a nice touch. i will be staying again!

Room Tip: Only a choice of two!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ashwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed at the Mill as part of a a break with dinner at Balloo House. We had the river room which we could not fault. Great hosts, the best breakfast we have had in years and the most comfortable of rooms with candelight, we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Try the River room, you won't be disappointed!
Belfast
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed at the Mill almost a year ago and absolutely loved it. We had been meaning to stay again and combine it with another visit to the upstairs restaurant at Balloo House....this lovely B&B is only a short walk away from Balloo House. We had recommended it to friends who also stayed in the B&B at the same time. We all had a thoroughly enjoyable stay- both the Beam Room and River Room are stunning= tastefully decorated, clean and spacious. We have stayed in the Beam Room the last two times so I think we will book into the River Room the next time. Breakfast was great and as before, Paul and Janice were excellent and welcoming hosts. We would dine at Balloo House frequently (upstairs and the bistro downstairs) but combining this with a stay at the Mill makes for a perfect break away , as well as saving us the hassle of taxis or one person having to drive. Apart from that, there are various options to be explored in the surrounding area. Highly recommend a stay at this beautiful house.

Room Tip: Both rooms are beautiful.
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed for one night and cant wait to go back....like nowhere else we have ever been, lots of personal touches in the most wonderful setting. Paul and Janice great hosts. Breakfast was one of the best we have ever had!

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I recently had a one night stay with Paul and Janice and were sad we could not have stayed longer. We had the River room - beautiful ensuite and seating area overlooking the babbling race. Very comfortable bed and plenty of space for luggage. Paul very kindly booked us a table at the nearby Balloo House for dinner -well worth a trip for excellent food at very keen midweek prices. Breakfast next morning was equally expansive with an array of fresh fruit/cereals and of course,a great cooked option of pretty much whatever you wanted! The history and the restored waterwheel give an added interest and this little top class b&b deserves continued success and greater public awareness. We have been extolling its virtues to anyone who will listen! Treat yourselves to a real hidden gem in Killinchy.

vermont
Reviewed 18 August 2013

It's a pure treat for yourself and your loved one to stay at The Mill at Balloo. The setting is very private and rural although you are in walking distance of one of the best restaurants I've ever had the chance to dine at, The Balloo House. In fact, I made the delightful mistake of thinking they were one and the same as they hold the same standards of excellency. But back to the B&B; the owners Paul and Janice, make you feel as though you were friends coming for a stay. Friends whose privacy is respected and every need met. Our room, the front room with the mechanical dealings of the mill hanging in the rafters above us, was no less than awesome. I lay in bed simply admiring the beauty of the room and reminiscing the workings of the mill, as well as the thrill in remodeling the old mill into a lovely B&B. See the photographs included of our room (with red bedspreads). Breakfast is included and Janice is on morning duty. With a friendly smile she serves up a scrumptious and hearty breakfast - and we had the pleasure of being the first guests to enjoy, what I dubbed, Breakfast with Moo (a painting by a local artist - also included in photos). We have family in the area and no doubt, this will be our stay when we head to Killinchy. But with its location, if I were headed to Belfast or anywhere in the Ards, this is where I would toss my hat and kick up my feet.

Room Tip: try them all!
Hancock V
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I feel so lucky to have stayed here. The old mill building has been renovated to perfection with the wheel and its workings still on show and beautifully integrated. Paul & Janice are the perfect hosts. Breakfast was dreamy, so was the bed. If the afterlife is not like this I shall be eternally disappointed. I want to go back. I have to go back. Please.

1 Thank Alan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killinchy
Dufferin Coaching Inn
Bayview House
Bayview House
#4 of 4 in Killinchy
The Old Schoolhouse Inn

Been to The Mill at Balloo? Share your experiences!