“Excellent”
Review of Glen Clova Hotel

Glen Clova Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Milton of Clova
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here for weekend for my nephews wedding hotel was great food excellent staff could not do enough for you this must all be because dave and lynn have a great team would not hesitate a return forgot to mention the veiws were exceptional all and all fantastic stay thanks to all staff

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Glen Clova Hotel

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stopped here for a snack on the way to glen doll. Ordered drinks & sandwiches at the bar which we could consume at the outside tables. No problem with the drinks, & the sandwiches were tasty enough. However, the bread was hard, having been left out in the sun too long, so therefore just an average score.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My wife and me had a drive up Glen Clova last Saturday and thought we had nothing better to do than just waltz into the dining room grab a table but we were wrong... the pace really was going a fair and had a great buzz about it. It was very busy. That said the staff were all very good and on approaching the bar to order food in the bar area, the girl took our drinks order but not before letting us know that if we were ordering food there would be a little wait due to it being so busy. I thought this was very honest and up front. We chose to wait and a little time later the same girl appeared and took our order. We only ordered Scampi but it was very well presented, piping hot and delicious ! best scampi and chips Ive had !
The hotel has a great location and as far as scenary is concerned - its a six out of five.... a real asset to Angus.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Spent 4 Days in 3 bed lodge with family and as always lodges excellent, well equipped and spacious. Great location and wonderful views, good walking trails and information from Ranger station. However., having stayed on a few occasions under previous management, I feel that the friendliness is not the same.ie. if rooms were cleaned we were allowed access before 4 o'clock which was much appreciated. On this occasion, we were not allowed access until exactly 4 o'clock, receptionist saying housekeeping not finished but I know this was not the case having seen them finish as I arrived outside the lodge. We were also asked for a housekeeping deposit of £100 which I refused to pay, not having to do this on previous occasions although witnessed other guests paying between £100-£150.

The bar and kitchen have been refurbished, with new leather seating which was really comfortable. Although not so sure about the new Bar menu which I feel was a bit restricting, no vegetarian, no chicken , no snacks , but pizzas very good and real chips.

Apart from the above! All in all a good experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Taylrt
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed a long weekend here recently for a birthday with friends. The location is perfect for a get away - to escape the world. It is so peaceful and the lodges are perfectly equipped and the hot tub was well maintained with daily cleaning and temperature checks.

The food was tasty when eating in the nearby hotel, only problem was when requested sweets we ordered and order never arrived, after waiting half an hour we asked where they were and were informed the kitchen had closed and the chef had gone home! Not great news after we had order sweets, we should have been told the kitchen was closed before we were allowed to order.

Also, not being from the area, we requested information about the area, the staff had no idea where the nearest shop was we asked whether Kirriemuir or Forfar was closer and we received the answer 'yes, I think so'. It seemed all weekend anything we asked was answered with 'I think so' which is frustrating when they work there and we are the tourists!

Apart from this the rest of the weekend was great and the fantastic lodges made up for the very unhelpful staff!

Room Tip: The Lodges are fantastic! Would recommend these over actually staying in the hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ABZ90
Glen Clova H, General Manager at Glen Clova Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear ABZ90

Thank you for your review and kind words regarding our lodges. We have an excellent product in terms of the standard of facilities and furnishings in our ever popular lodges.
Unfortunately it would appear that we have not performed well enough in terms of the Customer Service experience that we offered you in the hotel. Your comments are valid and I have to say this is simply not good enough from my team here at the hotel. You may have gathered both from your visit and also perhaps from recent ‘Trip Advisor’ postings that we are trying to make significant improvements. The feedback that we receive both directly from customers as well as on social media/internet show that overall customer experience is first class. What I have learned from your posting is that the next big hurdle that my young team need to overcome is one of consistency! It’s no good having 95% of our customers satisfied with their experience, we would like a 100%!
We have now made some adjustments to staffing and to try and ensure situations like this don’t occur in future.
Regarding the series of ‘I think so’ responses that you received this is also not what I would expect. For me a simple ‘I’m sorry that I don’t really know that sir/madam but give me a moment and I will go and find out for you’. Like most businesses in the hospitality sector we have a number of staff who are not from the Kirriemuir/Forfar area and we will sharpen up a little on staff training in relation to this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
The only part of your posting that I would actually disagree with are your remarks in the ‘Room Tips’ section. They may be slightly misleading. Our small 10 bedroomed hotel has an excellent reputation. It’s a small, charming hotel offering (for the most part!) a great welcome, excellent highland hospitality and tasty, well presented food. The hotel also represents excellent value for money. Our lodge customers take advantage of the hotel facilities frequently, some even returning to stay in the hotel as well as do many repeat customers who prefer what the hotel offers over the lodges. They are two different products but both offer their own brand of welcoming hospitality. Your ‘Room Tip’ statement is just a little unfair to be posted on the internet in my view.
However, many thanks for taking the time to write your overall constructive review. Your comments have been taken on board and we will pay a little more attention to consistency in terms of customer service. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back sometime in the near future.

Yours sincerely
5th June 2014

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a quality hot tasty plentiful meal on Saturday night 31 May. Could not fault anything. Thank you all at the Glenclova hotel. Recent management change has improved an already great service.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank oohsun
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed one night at the Glen Clova hotel. The location is just wonderful. There are some nice walking trails. It’s a charming little hotel with friendly staff. Our room (nr. 2) was small and quite basic. The bathroom was very tiny (1x2 meter for a toilet and shower) and really could use some updating and new tiles. Dinner and breakfast was good. There’s also a nice bar where you can relax after exploring the surroundings.

Room Tip: Ask if you can see a couple of rooms or stay in one of the self catering lodges.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lands of Loyal Hotel
Braemar Lodge Hotel
Braemar Lodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Braemar

Been to Glen Clova Hotel? Share your experiences!