“Warm and welcoming”

Colintraive Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Colintraive
“Warm and welcoming”
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nestled among the natural beauty of the kyles of bute. As soon as we arrived we found the stove roaring away in the bar and we were welcomed by a lovely girl who showed us up to our very cosy room. The rooms are impressively well equipped and had a delightfully comfy bed in which I had the best nights sleep of our little trip up the west coast. We dined in the restaurant on both of our nights, where we had a fab meal on both occasions. My favorite was definitely the huge stake which was cooked to perfection and my girlfriend loved the rather large scallops and langoudtines. The area around the hotel is perfect for a quiet wekekend away from the city. My girlfriend an avid art enthusiast was amazed to find the intriguing sculpture park located just up the road which is a must see, especially their collection of work by Helen Denerley. We were lucky enough to smple the west coast during a dry spell which allowed us to make full use of the bikes we had taken. The road through the village is perfect for cycling and quiet enough to allow you to take on the full beauty of the area. The favourite part of my days there were the evenings. On both nights we walked along the beach to take in the ever changing colours of the sun set. With regards to the breakfast I was very happy to find a real traditional Scottish breakfast full of all the goodies you could ever want. We had such a good time that I booked a couple of rooms to take my girlfriends parents up in early December. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to discover their new favorite hideaway.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This proved to be an ideal spot for a short break. Relaxing location, comfortable room and food absolutely fabulous. Well done to Patricia and her staff for making the stay so enjoyable....we'll be back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stopping with my Partner we decided to have some lunch here at the Colintraive Hotel which does look lovely and inviting from the outside, We never had a full look round but from the bar it all looked quite nice, We were going to have a bottle of house white but it was only done by the glass??? We opted for the Sancerre and unfortunately like most places now Sancerre is overpriced and under achieving. The food was very average which was a shame as everything else was nice.

My biggest and just outright shock was the free rain the (I am assuming) owners Dog had of the bar as we sat eating our lunch, 3 times the dog licked my hand as I sat eating lunch and it scurried around looking for its tennis ball and the Waitress just stood there shouting the dogs name but made no other effort to remove it from our table until it went wandering away of it's own accord, despite being a dog lover this is shocking hospitality and we couldn't believe it.

Spoiled an otherwise fine lunch,

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank dtlaps
Patricia W, Owner at Colintraive Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
First of all I am glad you had a "fine lunch" With reference to the wine there was obviously some misunderstanding as we have house wine by the glass and by the bottle. Strange you were not impressed by our Sancerre as it is a particularly fine one, however the price was on the wine list and there were cheaper wines available considering you originally only wanted a house wine.
Where I do agree with you is the behavior of one naughty black lab. Licking hands isnt usually his thing so yours must have been particularly tasty. Any how it shouldnt have happend. So, sorry for that.
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We booked a short break at the Colintraive Hotel in Spring of this year. We had intended to do a Tripadvisor review at the time however due to our experience we lacked any enthusiasm to put pen to paper until now.

We chose this Hotel as it was in a beautiful location, it was a independent hotel promoting local produce and, beacause it was dog friendly.

From the outside our first impression of the hotel was good however upon entering the hallway the kerb appeal died. The entrance hallway has grubby; there were storm candles which would have looked great if dusted, polished and lit; there was a strange wicker receptacle bearing an even stranger arrangement of not so fresh onions and dried out apples and monkey nuts. We were not quite sure what that was all about! A spruce and tidy up would not go amiss in the entrance vestibule!! The room was very spacious and nice enough in decoration but a bit chilly despite the radiators being on full. The electric fire (who still thinks an electrical fire is acceptable?) had seen better days and like some of the articles in the entrance vestibule, could have done with a bit of a dust. The 1970's electric fire did not quite match up to the open fire description on the website! Shower performance was patchy......one minute it could be pleasantly warm and next it would turn to icy cold and in the modestly sized shower unit this proved a challenge!!!

You will see from this Hotels website that it trades on its food reputation. The menu was scribed on a blackboard which puzzled us as this woud suggest that it changed daily or at least regularly however this was not the case. My guess is that the menu stays fairly static all year round. My partner opted for the seafood dishes throughout our weekend and reported that they were perfectly pallatable but not outstanding. We were however perturbed that mostly all of the seafood dishes attracted supplements of £3-4 each for starter and main courses. My vegetarian food was dull at very best. There were the usual dishes on the main menu which were not particulary enticing. The owner in her defence, did offer additional choices however none of them were to standard for an establishement trading on a foodie repuation. This was also true of the breakfasts which were poultry and lacking in quantity and quality. The cheapest and nastiest of white bread was served as toast.

At the end of our 2 night stay we departed having spent over £400 on the whole Colintraive Hotel experience which was expensive in our eyes for such an underwhelming experience. We would have gone for dinner elsewhere after the first evenings experience however due to the remote location of the hotel, there was little or no option that did not involve a significant drive.

We were left feeling that it was not good value for money and that the whole experience could have been a whole lot better. We won't be choosing this establishment again. There are many better places to chose from which present better choice, better quality and better value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Fifi1772
I am amazed at what details you manage to recall, 7 months after visiting us.
Having read your other reviews on other hotels, you indeed like to go into detail. My only comment really is regarding food, and prior to visiting the hotel I am sure you checked out our menu on our website. You knew what we offered and what the prices were. We do not have supplements as you mentioned and I dont actually offer any white toast at all. We use delicious multiseeded brown bread which is delivered daily from Campbeltown. I did offer you a few other variations for vegetarian food, most people would have appreciated that considering there is usually only one vegetarian option. We are after all a 3 star hotel and everyone always comments on what a super collection of dishes we offer. I am regularly asked for my recipes. Indeed we have won a Gold Medal for offering great food and recently Visit Scotland awarded us with Scottish Quality Assured.
Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed in self-catering three miles from Colintraive and the Colintraive Hotel is the only restaurant/bar nearby. We ate there three times and had lovely food on all occasions. When we ate in the bar it was very pleasant, good atmosphere and exactly the same food is cheaper than the restaurant prices. We were bemused when we arrived one early evening to see all the tables in the bar were 'reserved'. When we enquired they had reserved the tables for the hotel guests, which seemed quite bizarre when there was an empty restaurant next door. Surely the best thing to do would be to put the guests in the restaurant and let all the other customers coming in and out use the bar? On one occasion we booked a table in the restaurant as we had my elderly parents with us and thought it would be more comfortable, big mistake, huge. When we arrived bang on time (we had pre-booked) the restaurant was in darkness and very cold, there were also loads of flies in there. We were the only people in the restaurant and there was no atmosphere, despite being extremely cold, the fire wasn't lit. We advised how cold we were, I was physically shaking and they turned on a small, ineffective electric fire and pulled it near us! The food was lovely but this was overshadowed by literally sitting shaking with the cold. My poor Dad ate most of his meal with his coat on, as did my husband. I hadn't taken a coat as we were driving and didn't expect to need it inside! I ordered soup of the day to warm me up and was informed it was tomato, my favourite. After waiting a good long time, the waitress turned up with a bowl of vegetable soup and said is it ok. It looked green and bland so I asked for something else, she looked put out and said it would take a while and I would have to wait! I have to state the positives as well as the bad points. My dad said the battered haddock was the best fish and chips he has ever had, and he is 83! The Venison and Partridge sausages were to die for, the steak perfectly cooked, I had the Luxury seafood salad, also fabulous stunning salmon on the dish. I would advise anyone eating there to definitely eat in the bar.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melanie A
Thank you for all the nice comments you have made regarding your appreciation of the great food we offer, and for the enjoyable meals you took in the bar. Unfortunately you were not so happy in the restaurant which when empty can feel cold and lack atmosphere. Gosia did mention to me at the time that you were unhappy and that she had tried her best to make things warmer for you. I was overseas when you visited.
Every single person who visits the hotel comments on how helpful the staff always are, so I am certain Gosia would have done everything possible to make your visit comfortable. That week Colintraive was particularly warm so the central heating was not required. Its a pity you didnt return to the bar to dine instead. Always better in company.
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We've been to the restaurant and bar quite a few times and enjoy it every time. They provide moorings for yachts to stay the night in front of the hotel which we take advantage of whenever we're in the area. We love the food here and the service is excellent. Last week it excelled itself with free oysters and choritzo and cheese platter handed out after being left over from an anniversary celebration. With such a great setting and delicious food we'll be back by car when the boat comes out of the water!

• Stayed September 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights in early September - looking for a true Scottish Experience as we were visiting from Australia -- What a great choice, excellent venue, great food and tremendous hospitality. The Owner, Patricia, was just fantastic at looking after her guests and we felt as though we were "family" . What an asset this lady is the the Colintraive community and visitors.
I know we will certainly stay here again...... Alan & Chris

Room Tip: The view from the front rooms is to die for !