“A bit of a hassle”

Bayside at Sandestin
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here earlier this year, and I gave it a pretty good review. However, this time, I was a bit disappointed. Why? Well for one, we had to check in on the other side of the entire resort at The Grand. While it was nice to go in that beautiful hotel, it was out of the way. I thought to myself, what if I need something while I am at my hotel? Evidently, they do not have anyone at all manning the front counter at LeCiel, which I found quite cheap for a community that surely lacks no capital. Even mom and pop hotels have someone at the front. The a/c vent was falling off outside, and there were small holes in the wall where the paint was chipped off from a chair.

This is not a horrible place to stay, but it is clearly the neglected stepchild of the resort. Also, if you book through a third-part, the price may be a bit deceiving for that fact that their prices do not include the taxes. I won't be coming back here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 August 2013

My husband and I booked through the Sandestin Resort and were told we would be in either the Grand or LeCeil. Ended up in the latter and were very disappointed. It is the oldest hotel, has clean rooms but in great need of renovating. We looked at the first assigned room but asked to be moved. It was on the bay side, first floor with a very tiny patio surrounded by small shrubs and shared with room next door. An outdoor gathering area was directly in front of our patio doors. Front desk was very cooperative when we requested a room higher up, bayside. Reassigned the corner room on 3 rd floor which had a no water view due to several palm trees blocking view. Had small balcony with a couple of chairs but could not use it without turning off air conditioning unit which was extremely noisy both inside the room and on the patio. Noise even disturbed my husband's sleep with his hearing aides removed.

Stayed 3 nights and housekeeping made an appearance only once and that was after we had gathered our own trash and inquired at the front desk where to dispose of it. DVD player was broken. Repairman came late evening & was able to fix it somewhat. Room was fairly clean although tub drain backed up and bathroom floor was dirty. The Resort Complex itself was very nice; just would never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My family of 4 stayed at this property Aug 16-18. The weather was not favorable, it rained the ENTIRE weekend so we weren't able to have the full experience of the resort.

After reading the many, many reviews I was very concerned after booking this hotel through Hotwire and then seeing this was place I "won". I do not think it is a 4 start property as hotwire lists it ( I honestly think they list it that way because it is a part of the SanDestin brand). However, it isn't half as bad as the reviews I read before arriving. We stayed on the 5th floor in room 6572, which overlooked the bay. 2 queen beds ( maybe dbl, not sure), flat panel tv and a dvd player. Yes, the hotel is an older hotel, but it was cleaner than some of the fancier, more expensive ones I've stayed in. I stayed @ a Marriot a couple weeks prior and had dirty linen covered with a clean duvet. This place had linen that looked like it was pressed!

I did give Beth Sandlin a call and shared my concerns with her, long before we arrived and she was very good at telling me exactly what to expect from LeCeil. She even offered to move our reservation to a different property. Booking through a 3rd party, I did not expect that at all. She was straightforward and she followed up, we had no surprises when we got there. We received some complimentary things, but the weather did not allow us to take full advantage of it.

The pool area and the view across the bay is beautiful right at the start of nightfall!

If I had to say one thing I did not like, it would be that the lobby is awkwardly small and beds were too firm for my liking, but that is a preference thing.

If you are a Ritz Carlton kind of traveler, than this is definitely not the place for you. But I think it fits in well with a typical 3 star hotel. I don't understand all the fuss and disappointment, I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Pictures on website are very deceiving, this hotel is located in the back of the resort. It is obvious they photo edited the pictures to make it look better then it is. It is basically like a rundown motel 6. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank haylo921
Reviewed 24 July 2013

In July 2013 I visited Destin, FL for my family vacation. We stayed at the LeCeil (part of the Sandestin Resort) with the bay view. It was absolutely breathtaking waking up each morning to look to my left and see the beautiful bay. If you stay at the LeCeil I highly recommend you get the room with the bay view. The other side of the hotel is only a view of the parking lot, golf course, resort - it's not as nice.
The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. My son became ill one of the nights we stayed and we required clean bedding around 11pm. We did not receive this until the next day at 3:30pm.
When booking through Expedia I was unaware that we had to pay a 14% resort fee once we arrived either. It was too bad.
Overall my trip was amazing! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at several different Sandestin resort properties many times over the years for different reasons. Have booked direct w/ resort and via other outlets/owners etc. However, this would be our first Sandestin “vacation” staying at Le Ciel and we booked via 3rd party and got a decent rate for being on resort over a peak holiday. Stayed here for a long rainy week over the 4th of July holiday. It’s basically a remodeled older hotel. Nothing special, all very typical. Decent size room w/ two double beds. Foam type mattresses that were not comfortable at all. Nice big TV which we got entirely too much use out of (rain). The A/C worked very well which was needed very much. The balcony was small, but we were able to enjoy a couple times. Normal size bathroom w/ typical tub. The bay views were very nice especially out by the pool which is also very nice. We never caught the pool bar open the entire stay though there was evidence that it had been during the day. Another Broken Egg is great for breakfast/brunch and is just on the other side of the pool. The fitness center is also just a short walk away and is pretty good for an older property.
The housekeeping staff were all very nice and did a fine job.
Wifi was easily accessed throughout the hotel and pool areas. Wifi may be “free” depending on your personal opinion of the appx. 14% daily resort fees.
Speaking of… the 14% resort fee covers all the perks they market to guests as benefits of the resort: shuttle system, parking, gym access, pool access, pool towels, tennis, bike & kayak rental, etc. You are paying a high price for a standard hotel room in the first place. Then you pay extra to get the simple things that you may have thought you were getting included w/ your rate. Granted, it is stated plainly somewhere in the fine print, on the website, etc. So you should know there are additional charges that may not be included if you book via 3rd party. If you book directly w/ the resort, no worries. It’s already included in the overpriced rate. (the week of July 4th via 3rd party=$149/nt via Sandestin direct=$189/nt)
Bike rental was plentiful and available any time you wanted. As long as you didn’t mind riding in the rain, but hey.
Kayaks were booked up each time I checked even when it was raining. I did try to get a SUP via Yolo but no luck w/ the weather.
Lots of people fishing in the ponds/lakes around the resort. We didn’t give a try but talked to one young man who had lots of luck on several of the golf course ponds w/ top water bait.
The shuttle system seemed to run pretty regularly and we did see many people using it. However, it’s just easier for us to hop in the car and cruise over to Baytowne or the beach etc.
Baytowne seems run down and dirty. Haven’t seen any improvements here in the past 5 years except the kiddie stuff. Every restaurant we went in seemed to serve about the same bland typical touristy food & drink with little variations. Lots for the kids to do. Thank goodness for the $1 PBRs at Hartell’s! Always a good crowd but never felt too crowded.
Unlike the beach! The Sandestin beach is packed during the summer. Don’t expect the beautiful beach or water that you would get 10 minutes down the road on 30A. It’s like a bad nightclub w/ sand & sweat. Granted, we only had 2 sunny days the whole week. But that first day we planted our chairs and umbrella on the water’s edge at 7:05am. There were 8 other people on the beach including the chair service boys. By 9am it was uncomfortably packed. We had about 4 feet of open space in front of us as the tide receded during the morning. Don’t worry, that’s just enough room for some pretentious Richard to park his entire extended family w/ all their coolers toys etc. How fun! I could use little precious Richard Jr’s chair as a foot rest. Thank goodness all of “those people” left by 4/430pm and we had the evening to enjoy what we could of the beach. The rental chairs were stacked & packed just as close so no real upgrade there. It was nice to have the old Finz shack open for drinks & snacks. Service was quick good there.
No real problems or complaints for the Le Ciel hotel, we knew what we were getting into. Just wouldn’t EVER do it again!
Take that money and run down 30A or back to Alabama!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Like others have commented, BEWARE of the false pretense of the fotos they use to lure you!!! The room we got Had no resemblence to what they advertise. The only thing close to updated was the flat screen tv.No walk-in shower, no counter space in bathroom and when we called for fresh towels, the response was "did you pay for that service?" Then the lady said " we'll have it right up" just to get off the phone. Twenty - five minutes later, we try to call repeatedly and they refuse to pick up the phone. So I walked downstairs and the same lady is acting as if she never got such a call and could not just hand me some towels to take back. She said she will have to write down a work order for housekeeping to bring some up. Such a hassle just for some fresh towels! Really? I thought after the false avdertisement on the rooms that things can only get better, but instead more disappoinments. We are one and done with this place. S-U-C-K-S!!!

Room Tip: Not this place! Thats my tip