Lauderdale Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgood sized portionslovely mealfriendly welcomewould stay againstayed here for one nightmain coursecomfy bedcooked breakfastfirst classdogimpromptuedinburghwedding
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Had dinner here on Friday night while staying in Lauder, its a no frills small hotel and we managed to get a table without booking, service by the lady who runs the hotel was very good, my starter soup was slightly bland but adequate, my wife's starter of spicy chicken was again ok although the dip was disappointing, my main course mixed grill was plentiful and well cooked although my wife thought her fish was not long defrosted and a bit limp, I would imagine there are other resteraunts with a more varied menu in the area, but for a quick meal it was reasonably satisfactory.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

had a one night stay 15/3/2014 room v/clean and plenty of room .friendly staff and felt at home , breakfast was v/good totally enjoyed my stay. I would stay again if I was up in this area of Scotland again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
LauderdaleHotel, General Manager at Lauderdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Many Thanks for your review. We are always glad to receive positive feedback from guests and look forward to you staying again in the future!

Regards

Jaron Mckay

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was part of the group with David A. As the management response stated my wife and I stayed at the Lauderdale for 2 extended periods of time in 2012 & 2013, during both stays the staff, service and food were all exceptional, however on the night in question we had recommended to our good friends David A and his wife that we go to the Lauderdale,the 4 of us go out eating on a regular basis to a variety of places. The Soup that both David & I had was not up to the usual standard, it was watery and lacked any form of taste. My wife had the Fish & Chips which was good, I had the Thai Curry which was also excellent. David had a Steak which was not up to standard and subsequently had it replaced, the replacement was also sub standard but the most embarrasing thing was the Chilli served up to David's wife, it was dried out and looked crusty and inedible, pleased to say this was resolved when she opted for the Fish and Chips. At this stage I have to answer to Mr McKays response, if we could see that the Soup was sub standard and the Chilli was dried up why didn't his Chef/ Staff see it and why does he feel the need to defend this particular complaint ? Hospitality is a fickle business, you can have hundreds of excellent meals in an establishment as my wife and I undoubtedly have had at the Lauderdale but this can all be overshadowed by one bad experience as this case proves, sadly it has put us off and caused embarassment to my wife and I as we recommended the food. The response could have been worded much better and only exarcerbated the issue by trying to justify..... loss of brownie points there. I regret to say that the outcome is loss of custom by us and that is something I never thought I'd ever say about an otherwise superb Hotel, therefore there are losers on both sides here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Johnny059
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here twice - when working locally... Was impressd by the quality of the food .. I've had the special Curry - Thai Green Curry and a Minute steak, in Pitta bread with a side salad ... off the snack menu.

I've also tried items from the dessert menu and found them very well presented and tasty.

Breakfast : I had the 'works', but there was quite a few variants available.

The staff were attentive and the owner and his son pleasant ..... this friendly welcome ensured I came back

I

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MsMoby
Reviewed 15 September 2013

was looking forward to night out with friends from lauder there choice of venue this hotel for dinner im afraid i will not be back and if anybody asks me ill give them honest answer re food soup out of packet steak cold chilli very very dry probably re cooked they offered to re cook my wife opted for fish and chips and i got another steak sirlion it was not we paid bill in full ill never be back chef needs a look at himself

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank David A
jaronmckay, General Manager at Lauderdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

This gentleman did come to dinner with friends who have both stayed and eaten here on many occasions and never had any reason to complain. I can assure him that the soup was not out of a packet as he described but was homemade by one of our chefs as are all our soups with local ingredients. I did apologise regarding the chilli as it was an extremely busy night and it had possibly sat for a little longer than normal under the hotlights whilst waiting on the party to finish their starters. He stated to me that his 2nd steak which was cooked from scratch was not a sirloin but I assured him that it was and we have never had any complaints from anyone before regarding our steaks, most people say they are the best they have tasted in a long time. Once again I apologise that he felt this way.