“"An Unlikely Comic Gem" ***** (TimeOot)”
Review of Black Bull Hotel

Black Bull Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lauder
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“"An Unlikely Comic Gem" ***** (TimeOot)”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

'Fawlty Towers' as a two hander over dinner, with only Basil and Polly, seemed ambitious but it was only the warm up act for breakfast - delivered solo by Basil it was a bravura performance. Playing "Finland, Finland, Finland" by Monty Python, having asked if guests wanted to hear it and being told no, while expressing astonishment that guests from Finland had never heard it was hilarious. Following it up with "The Accountancy Shanty" while ignoring guests arriving for breakfast , took things to a new level. It was topped though by a deadpan "not really" when asked if he liked Python, though it came close to breaking the fourth wall. The highlight however was the missing mushrooms, set up perfectly by the increasing number of items 'off' the menu the evening before. "Just a minute" and a sharp turn back to the kitchen and ten minutes or so till they were delivered - which sounds dull but what we could see through the dining room window was Basil dashing across to the shops and back - rumours that a car was well thrashed with a tree branch in the process are unconfirmed. Genius. You will not get better value for money anywhere else on the Fringe this year - I can only imagine it isn't very busy as the venue is a little out of the way.

Room Tip: Ask for room 3 - it's nooks and crannies are unique and characterful - and would make a great se...
1 Thank FestivalCity

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
ainsdale
Reviewed 23 August 2013

spent two nights in this hotel and had great value for money. there were staffing problems but owner worked very hard with his family to ensure our comfort. Owner was sponsor of local golf course and we were offered the courtesy of lauder golf club. very generous and most enjoyable

Room Tip: all rooms we saw were very good
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 10 August 2013

How this hotel is still going strong is really beyond me. My partner and myself had been bought this as a Groupon getaway by close friends and were really looking forward to our weekend away. I would urge people if they see this on Groupon don't be tempted as it is not worth it.
We arrived at the hotel to be told our room wasn't ready (this was 3.30pm) so we ventured into Edinburgh, the only plus side of this hotel is that it is close to the lovely city of Edinburgh. We got back around 6pm to be taken to our room in the rudest, most carefree manner I have ever seen. The room was awful, lock didn't work on the door, mismatch furniture, tv didn't work, dirt everywhere, mould on the walls, broken windows, taps didn't work in bathroom, the list goes on. It was absolutely appalling and so upsetting, we didn't even look at the food menu as thought if that was the state of the rooms god knows what the kitchen would look like! The next morning we had to leave and find somewhere else to stay, I felt unsafe, the sheets were itchy and the beds were uncomfortable. I couldn't have stayed the other night we had bought for us. The owner didn't seem to care, all I can think is it must happen a lot.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lemb5000
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and were given a beautiful room with large bathroom . The owner Richard was amazing how he coped with everything and nothing was a bother to him,
Rooms were excelent, very clean and breakfast was great. We dined first night and really enjoyed sunday roast.
Would recommend this to all.

Jim Fagan

Widnes
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Warm and Friendly Welcome - Not! Four of us went in for Sunday Lunch. We should have left when we first went in to order a drink. Rude and surly would be a compliment. Went into the restaurant and we were totally ignored. Ordered meals and we were unsure whether he heard us as he didn't acknowledge us. Tried to order bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, he replied "No Chardonnay". It seems there was only one choice of wine - Chardonnay. He then walked away, disinterested, we had to go and find him in the bar to ask for drinks. When the Sunday lunches arrived, they were put down in front of us without any acknowledgement., very much Basil Fawlty style. Didn't ask if we wanted any sauces, we felt that we daren't ask! Roast potatoes were warmed up roasted new potatoes that were mostly skin with no potato. Frozen green beans and carrots. Beef was ok, but it was not very warm. No interest in whether we were happy with the meal, just took our plates without any comment. Don't know if he was the owner/manager - if so, he maybe in the wrong trade. If he is an employee, he should chose another profession and his boss should arrange this asap. No wonder the place was empty. We will be visiting Lauder again, but will not go to the Black Bull, and will tell our friends not to either. No hand towels in the toilets either!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynne J
ayrshire
Reviewed 4 August 2013

AS it was my partners birthday i booked this place through glasgows great deal thinking what a great saving. How wrong was I. On entering the hotel my first impression was dark n gloomy we were shown to our room number6 very outdated and nothing matched in room, went into bathroom and got the shock of my life as fotos show. I was ready to throw in the towel and say stuff it I`m out of here but thought will see how it goes. We had a meal in the place and was quite impressed with it. When we ordered drinks at bar the only bottled beer was buds or bottles of cider and only had one draught beer Basil as he is Known as was not very friendly if I had being paying hotel direct think I would have packed my bags and left without handing over any money. On the saturday we were out all day when we came back the room was not cleaned only fresh towels had been put in toilet would not flush unless lid was removed please people do not book here breakfast was ok this morning 04/08/13 we did not get offered toast or fruit juice could not wait till i left. and people even walked out restaurant last nyt as what they were ordering was not avail GET IT SORTED BASIL

3 Thank bluebellgirlAyrshire
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed in the Black Bull at Lauder for 3 nights in July 2013 and will be going back again. I hadn't read any of the reviews before I went so had an open mind and will speak as I found. Rick was helpful and friendly to us on arrival and remained so during our visit. He asked what time we wanted breakfast and asked how we wanted our eggs cooked and our breakfasts were all very enjoyable.
Rick has a great sense of humour and I found his jokes very quick and funny, although we were never told not to mention the Germans! The hotel is comfortable and the bed was as comfy as my own bed at home. I was in room 7 and looked over the car park. The sash windows open and closed, which isn't always the case in old hotels and although there is some wear seen on some carpets I felt that my room was exceptionally good value for money, loved the toiletries which were of good quality and will happily return in the future. Bus travel from outside the hotel to and from Edinburgh is very easy and it is a great place as a base.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dentonwend
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauder
Carfraemill
Glen Hotel
#2 of 5 in Selkirk
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel
Mansfield House Hotel

Been to Black Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!