“Sub-standard service”
Review of Carfraemill

Carfraemill
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lauder
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We went for a family meal with 5 adults and 1 child (under 2), but were bitterly disappointed with the service we received whilst we were there.

We made a phone call the night before to reserve a table due to the party size and to enquire about Jo's Kitchen and it's suitability for our party with the presence of a toddler. The gentleman was very helpful and assured us that they also catered for gluten-free, as a member of our party has special dietary requirements.

Overall, we were looking forward to a family meal with members of the family from as far as London. To be clear the food was lovely, with large portion sizes and a large selection on both the main menu, gluten-free menu and the children's menu. However we were not asked how old our son was and we were automatically charged for his food, which is clearly advertised as free for children aged 2 and under.

On arrival at Carfraemill, it was far from the warm welcome that we were expecting. The head waitress on that day knew of our booking and seated us, however we were made to feel as if our arrival was an inconvenience. Our menu's were brought to us and when we asked for the gluten-free options, the menu was swiped from us and replaced with the gluten-free menu in a very abrupt and rude manner. Who appeared to be the more junior waitresses were very kind and helpful. Rather than feeling welcome and being able to enjoy a special family meal we were made to feel awkward and somewhat of an inconvenience.

In addition our son's food was brought on a hot plate, which is highly inappropriate. The junior waitress kindly noticed this and offered to bring us a toddler plate and cutlery to serve his food.

In summary, you expect a level of politeness and courtesy of people working in the hospitality industry but the service we received was far from this and we left promptly after the meal, with no inclination to return to this establishment anytime soon, or to recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank fulltimeworkingmummy
There are newer reviews for Carfraemill

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here as a result of a very long drive and desperation to find somewhere to spend the night. The exterior is basic and our initial welcome from bar staff quite frosty, however, room was lovely. The restaurant had closed but aware of our long journey, we were offered sandwiches which was very kind (we did not need.) Our double room was cosy and had welcoming touches and a large bathroom. Only slight complaint is that there is a spotlight which shone directly into the room. Breakfast was delicious, with plenty fruit, cereal etc and an extensive cooked menu. - my husband was given the largest bowl of porridge I have ever seen! Initially the waitress was quite gruff but mellowed with time.As we were the only customers it did feel a little awkward initially. I would stay again and I would olike to have an evening meal as essentially this is a restaurant with rooms

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

not been here for a long time but must say tonight was really very good, the service, the friendly staff, and the food was excellent, did not have to book as it was early and not busy, but will certainly go back.

Room Tip: have the fish and chips
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is the second time we have stayed here, we have eaten probably 4 or 5 times and each time we are so impressed with the accommodation, the staff and the food is amazing. Only down side last night was that the real ale on draft was not particularly nice. The cooked breakfast was amazing - the best I have ever had. A hotel that is a home from home but I don't need to do the washing up.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pashld
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We had a nice lunch here whilst out a drive. The place is very nice, clean and tidy the place has very nice friendly staff. .

The menu was substantial and the meal itself was very nice. We would definitely revisit.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Went with friends for Sunday Lunch on 6th July. Good parking - mind the main road as you cross to hotel / restaurant. Restaurant bright and airy. Wide selection on menu. My wife and I went for the Sunday Roast Pork - what a great choice - huge portions with fabulous flavours. Managed to have dessert as well - also excellent. Total bill less than expected. Also Cask ales at the bar. We thought our peace and quiet was going to be disrupted when a mini-coach arrived with all male passengers coming in for a drink, but we needn't have worried - restaurant waiter directed them outside where their drinks were served. Well done to the staff. No complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've eaten at the Lodge many a time on my way and back from Scotland and the food and service have always been good. Last week I decided to stop off with my mother as we both wanted something to eat. I ordered a panini and my mother ordered a sandwich. We also ordered a pot of tea and after about 10minutes I was asked again if I would like something to drink. I advised the waitress we had already ordered tea however the first waitress came back to inform me she had forgot. Anyhow our tea eventually arrived but we waited for about 40minutes for our food. No apology for the lateness until about 10minutes into eating my panini, the waitress came over to apologise for the food coming out late. Her reason for this was the chef was really busy. Seriously?? It's a Saturday so would the chef be thinking he/she would be in for a quiet day. Hmmmm. I don't think I will be going back in a hurry.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Pattycakes46
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauder
Black Bull Hotel
Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course
Ednam House
Ednam House
#4 of 4 in Kelso

Been to Carfraemill? Share your experiences!