We went for a family meal with 5 adults and 1 child (under 2), but were bitterly disappointed with the service we received whilst we were there.
We made a phone call the night before to reserve a table due to the party size and to enquire about Jo's Kitchen and it's suitability for our party with the presence of a toddler. The gentleman was very helpful and assured us that they also catered for gluten-free, as a member of our party has special dietary requirements.
Overall, we were looking forward to a family meal with members of the family from as far as London. To be clear the food was lovely, with large portion sizes and a large selection on both the main menu, gluten-free menu and the children's menu. However we were not asked how old our son was and we were automatically charged for his food, which is clearly advertised as free for children aged 2 and under.
On arrival at Carfraemill, it was far from the warm welcome that we were expecting. The head waitress on that day knew of our booking and seated us, however we were made to feel as if our arrival was an inconvenience. Our menu's were brought to us and when we asked for the gluten-free options, the menu was swiped from us and replaced with the gluten-free menu in a very abrupt and rude manner. Who appeared to be the more junior waitresses were very kind and helpful. Rather than feeling welcome and being able to enjoy a special family meal we were made to feel awkward and somewhat of an inconvenience.
In addition our son's food was brought on a hot plate, which is highly inappropriate. The junior waitress kindly noticed this and offered to bring us a toddler plate and cutlery to serve his food.
In summary, you expect a level of politeness and courtesy of people working in the hospitality industry but the service we received was far from this and we left promptly after the meal, with no inclination to return to this establishment anytime soon, or to recommend to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a family-run hotel nestled on the edge of the Lammermuir Hills in Lauderdale. We have have 10 individually styled bedrooms and a renowned restaurant serving the very best of local produce all day every day. At Carfraemill, we love to host weddings, parties, family gatherings and business events - we can accommodate small intimate affairs in a cosy private room, to larger events in our award-winning restaurant, country lodge style function room or fabulous marquee. We are truly family-friendly and baby-friendly: whether you bring your little ones to eat, celebrate or stay, we will make them feel extremely welcome so you can enjoy relaxed and happy times at Carfraemill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, LateRooms, Agoda and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Carfraemill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Carfraemill Hotel Edinburgh
- Carfraemill Lauder, Scotland