“Enjoyable, pleasant stay”
Review of Ulbster Arms Hotel

Ulbster Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Halkirk
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Hotel staff was very friendly and efficient, good welcome and check in. Hotel was very clean and tidy....I was staying in the chalet which was first class and I will highly recommend this. ....great stay, thanks
The food was prepared and served to perfection....yum yum

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Anthony K, General Manager at Ulbster Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write your review,

I am delighted that your stay was good and you enjoyed our food, we look forward to your next stay with us where we can hopefully do it all again for you!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just had a really tasty meal of Cullen Skink, followed by locally caught seafood risotto. The service was friendly and efficient, but still felt personal and homely. I'm now relaxing in the lounge / library / drawing room, before going back to my king-size bed in a comfortable, top floor room. As with most hotels, the rooms are a bit too warm, but I can always open a window.

When you're at the Northern tip of the country, this far from home, what's not to like in such a welcoming and friendly hotel?

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for taking time out to write your review.

Its very encouraging to all the staff here to know that you found the hotel comfortable and the staff efficient and friendly.
As a team we try and ensure that we do everything we can to make your stay comfortable, thanks for the excellent feedback on the meals you had - I will ensure the kitchen team get their feedback.

Looking forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Four friends on a trip to fish the Thurso River had a great stay in this very nice hotel with friendly staff. The food was excellent, the chef must be very talented. Exceeded our expectations.
Ray and friends

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Ulbster Arms.

Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and you found the food to be excellent, we are lucky to have a fantastic team here, I will ensure that the chef reads your comments - he has currently just got through to the finals of Highland chef of the year so it may give him a boost to read this.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 21 September 2013

After a long time away, I finally made it to Halkirk again and stayed one night. The room was very comfortable, great bathroom and fantastic heating and lovely tea and short bread (it was really cold). I had dinner in the lounge bar; it was rather disappointing however, especially for the price. I had fish and chips, believing that I'd get fresh fish, yet I couldn't taste what fish it was, certainly didn't taste fresh and the fish batter very bland and greasy. When it came to the chips, I wondered whether I should return the dish. The potatoes had black spots on them, and some were undercooked. I left them and hoped staff would see them when picking up the dish. Such a simple dish should be first class in a hotel like this. However, service was outstanding, very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was fantastic, I wish I would have had more time to sample all the great offerings. Despite the let down dinner, I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: My room pointed towards the town hall across the road, and I was lucky to witness the pipe players w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lebedaslebenjetzt
Anthony K, General Manager at Ulbster Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Many thanks for taking the time out to write a review, I am delighted to hear that the service and rooms were to you liking!
However I was very disappointed to read about your bar meal that you had with us, whilst it is obviously something that we didn't get quite right on the day, I feel as though I can may be offer some answers.
During June and July we were having difficulty (as were the rest of the county with the quality of the potatoes) - unfortunately sometimes seasons of potatoes produce those of a lesser quality then we would like, and I can assure you that we have now made provisions for this happening in the future.
As for the fish I do not have an explanation - all of our fish including the Haddock is landed daily at Scrabster and is very fresh, however the fact is that it didn't meet your expectations and for that I apologise.

I would like to make things right so please feel free to book with me direct next time if you are planning a trip up north soon, and I'm sure you will be delighted with your next haddock and chips!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is a fishing persons heaven. Beat 4 restaurant very nice. However, the bar area is the real hub for the "one that got way". Food in the bar is excellent. Breakfast is first class & staff are extremely helpful & pleasant.
One to savoy, cannot wait to return.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for the review,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I'm pleased that the fishing stories in the bar caught your attention - maybe next time you could bring a rod with you!

Look forward to your visit again when you are back up in the area.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Great accommodation and superb food but above all the staff make The Ulbster Arms a must when planning a trip to Caithness. Each year the bar is raised and each year they keep exceeding my expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your review - I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I was recommended to the Ulbster by a local friend - and I was glad she did!
Excellent is the word!
The restuarant has a lovely country atmosphere, the food is an absolute steal and the portions are huge! The Ulbster serves good hearty food from a menu that makes coming to decision on what to have very difficult! I had the fish and it was cooked to perfection, and it was a similar story from the others at my table.
It was probably the most satified I'd been with a publunch in a long time!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank The_Secret_Critic

Many thanks for your review Its great to hear that you took up on your friends recommendation and come in for a bite to eat.

I am delighted that you and your party enjoyed your meal here we will be launching a new bar menu around October - so watch out on our Facebook page and feel free to come back and try it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Halkirk
Northern Sands Hotel
#4 of 9 in Thurso
Norseman Hotel
Norseman Hotel
#2 of 4 in Wick

Been to Ulbster Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!