“return visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Halkirk
Inverness
“return visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Another very warm welcome from the staff. This is our third visit and have returned for our 26th wedding anniversary. Wonderful food and 1st class service. our room was beautifully prepared and the attention to detail stunning. My husband asked for flowers and one if the managers went and collected them personally from thurso and had them arranged with champagne and candles when we arrived.thank you again.

Room Tip: All rooms are of a high standard.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Anthony K, General Manager at Ulbster Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Many thanks for your review,

I am very pleased that we managed to meet if not exceed your expectations on your visit with us, we will always try and accommodate requests from guests if it makes their stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to seeing you again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Halkirk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Did not have good meal in the dining room,Prawn Cocktail was in tomato sauce!! My mashed potatoes disappeared under my Pan Fried Chicken that was thrown on top!!!! cold as well ,dessert was sticky toffee with a runny sauce!!.
Service was slow as lack of staff!!!!! Only young ones working!!!
I was taken out as a guest and didn't want to complain at the time!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Anthony K, General Manager at Ulbster Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for your review, its a shame that your experience with us did not meet your expectations as we have done with all of our other diners.

We appreciate all feedback as without it we would not be able to improve on the things that we dont get quite right. However it is a real help if the issue is brought up at the time so that we can put it right immediately as oppose to reading it after the event. I appreciate that you were a guest and that it may have been difficult to mention at the time, but we certainly would have ensured that your expectations of food quality and service were met.

It sounds as though there was an issue with all three courses you had, I assume the rest of your group enjoyed their meals?

Our prawn cocktail is made as you say with Tomato sauce, mayo and a shake of Tabasco, presentation is important to us here and your chicken would most certainly not have been thrown on top, if it was not to your required temperature we would have addressed that immediately and your dessert sauce could have been rectified with additional sauce/ ice cream / cream.

You mentioned the young staff - we indeed have a mix of staff here and a lot of the food and beverage team are young - however this in no means should detract from the service you are given and in fact we pride ourselves on having a vibrant, pleasant and polite team here who consistently offer excellent service - although on this occasion seems as though maybe they were not deployed in the correct areas and you felt we were understaffed.

You also marked the cleanliness of the restaurant down at one but didn't mention it in your review - If there was something in particular that you spotted It would be good to know.

I see on the review it said Halkirk - so if you are local to the area please feel free to call me here at the hotel and we can discuss your experience in more detail and hopefully allow us to offer you and a guest another meal in which we will provide the excellent service and quality of food we are proud to offer here at the Ulbster Arms.

Kind regards,
Livingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Hotel staff was very friendly and efficient, good welcome and check in. Hotel was very clean and tidy....I was staying in the chalet which was first class and I will highly recommend this. ....great stay, thanks
The food was prepared and served to perfection....yum yum

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write your review,

I am delighted that your stay was good and you enjoyed our food, we look forward to your next stay with us where we can hopefully do it all again for you!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Just had a really tasty meal of Cullen Skink, followed by locally caught seafood risotto. The service was friendly and efficient, but still felt personal and homely. I'm now relaxing in the lounge / library / drawing room, before going back to my king-size bed in a comfortable, top floor room. As with most hotels, the rooms are a bit too warm, but I can always open a window.

When you're at the Northern tip of the country, this far from home, what's not to like in such a welcoming and friendly hotel?

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for taking time out to write your review.

Its very encouraging to all the staff here to know that you found the hotel comfortable and the staff efficient and friendly.
As a team we try and ensure that we do everything we can to make your stay comfortable, thanks for the excellent feedback on the meals you had - I will ensure the kitchen team get their feedback.

Looking forward to your next visit with us.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Four friends on a trip to fish the Thurso River had a great stay in this very nice hotel with friendly staff. The food was excellent, the chef must be very talented. Exceeded our expectations.
Ray and friends

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Ulbster Arms.

Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and you found the food to be excellent, we are lucky to have a fantastic team here, I will ensure that the chef reads your comments - he has currently just got through to the finals of Highland chef of the year so it may give him a boost to read this.

Hope to see you again soon
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

After a long time away, I finally made it to Halkirk again and stayed one night. The room was very comfortable, great bathroom and fantastic heating and lovely tea and short bread (it was really cold). I had dinner in the lounge bar; it was rather disappointing however, especially for the price. I had fish and chips, believing that I'd get fresh fish, yet I couldn't taste what fish it was, certainly didn't taste fresh and the fish batter very bland and greasy. When it came to the chips, I wondered whether I should return the dish. The potatoes had black spots on them, and some were undercooked. I left them and hoped staff would see them when picking up the dish. Such a simple dish should be first class in a hotel like this. However, service was outstanding, very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was fantastic, I wish I would have had more time to sample all the great offerings. Despite the let down dinner, I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: My room pointed towards the town hall across the road, and I was lucky to witness the pipe players w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lebedaslebenjetzt
Anthony K, General Manager at Ulbster Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Many thanks for taking the time out to write a review, I am delighted to hear that the service and rooms were to you liking!
However I was very disappointed to read about your bar meal that you had with us, whilst it is obviously something that we didn't get quite right on the day, I feel as though I can may be offer some answers.
During June and July we were having difficulty (as were the rest of the county with the quality of the potatoes) - unfortunately sometimes seasons of potatoes produce those of a lesser quality then we would like, and I can assure you that we have now made provisions for this happening in the future.
As for the fish I do not have an explanation - all of our fish including the Haddock is landed daily at Scrabster and is very fresh, however the fact is that it didn't meet your expectations and for that I apologise.

I would like to make things right so please feel free to book with me direct next time if you are planning a trip up north soon, and I'm sure you will be delighted with your next haddock and chips!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

This is a fishing persons heaven. Beat 4 restaurant very nice. However, the bar area is the real hub for the "one that got way". Food in the bar is excellent. Breakfast is first class & staff are extremely helpful & pleasant.
One to savoy, cannot wait to return.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for the review,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I'm pleased that the fishing stories in the bar caught your attention - maybe next time you could bring a rod with you!

Look forward to your visit again when you are back up in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halkirk
Forss House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castletown
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#6 of 9 in Thurso

Been to Ulbster Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!