Ulbster Arms Hotel
US$192
US$184
  • Breakfast included
US$164
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsulbster armsthe main hotelthis lovely hotelbeautiful roomolder hotelsrooms are spaciousmain coursemixed experienceother guestssalmon fishingi highly recommend this hotelfood were excellentminute drivefirst classprawn cocktailate herepleasant stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I recently used the Ulbster Arms during a trip away with work, and I have to say, it was a little oasis of sheer foodie pleasure to make a long and arduous work schedule bearable. The service was always cheerful, friendly and relaxed, nothing was too much trouble for the staff, and the food was excellent every time. Not one bad meal during the entire stay. I liked the quaint "olde worlde gentlemens club" feel of the hotel, it felt very welcoming walking in after a long night shift. If I'm unfortunate enough to get stuck with the same trip away again, I know for sure that the Ulbster will be the one good thing about it. Would recommend to anyone, and maybe one day I'll get to go back and stay as a tourist.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bigmatt1724
Anthony K, General Manager at Ulbster Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review - Its good to hear that even if the reason for your trip up here was an arduous one, we made it a bit more bearable with the atmosphere, food and staff.

We hope to see you again - (As a tourist maybe next time!)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Service very slow 3/4 of an hour to get starters, then when it arrived so small you wondered why bother. Then another age to wait for the main course. When it arrived could not eat the french fries they were so hard. Been eating here for years and must say it has gone down hill.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Margaret P

Thank you for your review, I was disappointed to read your comments, although I can definitely say that this is very much an isolated incident and not the 'norm'.

I understand that as with ALL establishments there will be occasions that we don't get it quite right - this obviously being one of them. However for me its about how the situation was managed at the time and whether we dealt with it professionally and courteously. After speaking with the staff members on duty that night they have told me that you were compensated for the wait time and although your situation isn't ideal I would like to know if the reasons for your delay were explained to you?

I would certainly be happy to discuss these comments and your experience you had in the hope that you will indeed return.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Staff were perfect, always happy to help, food was excellent, catered for my extra garlic kicks, will be back there in August!! I went in for my breakfast and after this booked my evening meal in advance, did not have too but I was happy to do this, Haggis starter to die for, garlic mushrooms a must, in fact try it all, never had room for afters but looking around they looked awesome!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thanks very much for your review, I remember the request for extra garlic on your steak !

Glad you enjoyed your week with us and it made your work and shifts slightly easier to deal with.
Look forward to your return!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Have been to the hotel 3 times now with family and friends. All meals have been tasty, however Every time at least one of the meals has been a small portion that has left us hungry. I now would not order blackened chicken, smoked ham or scampi. For example, smoked ham was 3 small slices of ham (bacon size) on a small portion of mash - similar to a starter in some restaurants. Seems a hit and miss, sometimes portions are bigger, sometimes items like coleslaw or salad are missing .... Maybe change in chef? Both times we ordered a side portion it came halfway through main meal after we asked again. It's a shame as we really like the hotel but it just does not seem value for money when the portions are small. Always a poor sign when folk order pudding as they are still starving..... by adding that bit extra on the plate, satisfaction would be so much more. One last point... The Simpsons showing in the background when I'm out for a Friday night family meal is not everyone's cup of tea. Hopefully some constructive observations.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your review,

Its disappointing to read that your meals with us left you wanting more, did you bring this to the attention of your server at the time as its much more difficult to deal with after the event.

The changes that you mentioned were down to a change in menu as oppose to a change in chef and your comments have absolutely been taken on board and discussed with the Head chef so we can implement any changes we deem necessary - if you would like to discuss this with me on a more detailed basis please feel free to call the hotel direct where I will be happy to arrange another sitting for you so you can see for yourself the changes first hand.

We defiantly take on board all the comments left on this site and hopefully make any necessary changes.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed here as part of a fishing package which offered very good value even though the salmon were not so cooperative. Excellent restaurant meals, good bar and very comfortable rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff especially Jess and Lauren who were especially attentive.
This hotel would be ideal also for other travellers who are just visiting Caithness as an alternative to staying in Thurso itself.
The surprising thing about this hotel is that it is in Halkirk which is off the main A9 Inverness -Thurso road and not the kind of place you are likely to stumble upon even though signposted on the A9.
If staying here make a point of driving up to Loch More and enjoy horizons seemingly to the moon and back. Rename Caithness Big Sky Country after this.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review, Its great to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the views of the surrounding areas.

Its really is a view to behold when you catch Loch More either at sunrise or sundown!

great to hear the staff were professional and friendly and I have passed your comments onto both Lauren and Jess who were delighted for the mention.
Looking forward to your return next year - and we will inform the Salmon of your arrival in advance!