“No better service anywhere”
Review of Broomhall Castle

Broomhall Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Menstrie
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“No better service anywhere”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here last night with my partner. Before I begin my review I will say that I am a very critical hotel guest who picks up on minor details. Its just when I pay to stay in a hotel I want somewhere clean and welcoming, where I can relax and be comfortable. When we arrived at Broomhall Castle we were met by Scott who could not have been more welcoming, we were given a very warm welcome and shown to our room. The hotel has a very relaxed atmosphere which I liked. We were in room 2, our room was clean, the bed was large and comfortable. The carpet was a little dated and could have been doing with being replaced but I have seen worse in much more expensive hotels so not a major issue. The bathroom was nice and clean and we were supplied with nice big soft towels. Only issue in the bathroom was around the shower area the tiles could be doing with having some of the grout whitened, again not a big issue and again have seen much worse in more expensive hotels.. I didn't like the yellow colour that the underside of the bath was painted and thought it would have looked nicer being just white. Again I didn't like the yellow paint on the walls in the bedroom thought it looked cheap and would have preferred a nice deep red/burgundy or maybe even a mid green a change of paint colour would have made the room feel more traditional and castle like, that's just my own personal preference though. Only major issue in the bedroom was lack of mirror, the only mirror we had was above the bathroom sink which is not convenient when two people are trying to get ready to go out or when using hairdryer to do your hair blind. A full length mirror could cheaply and easily be added in the room either on a wall or on the back of the bedroom door or bathroom door. Noticed in previous reviews other people complaining about the lack of mirror in the rooms as well so seems a common complaint that could quickly easily and cheaply be sorted out. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant the food was nice, too much I couldn't finish mine but that's not a complaint would rather that than still be hungry after dinner. Staff in restaurant were welcoming and attentive, service was very good. A little bit of background music would have been good as it was very quiet in the restaurant. We missed breakfast this morning as it was served from 8am till 9.30am, we were away and it was sunday so we didn't want to set alarms to get up early. By the time we woke at 9.30 we were too late for breakfast. Most places that we stay serve breakfast until 11 on Sundays so maybe an option of having a Sunday breakfast a little later would be good. I am sorry we missed it as reviews seem to be good. After dinner we spent the rest of the night in the hotel lounge, it was quiet and comfortable my usual drink was not available at the bar but staff were more than happy to go out of their way to go somewhere and get some for me which was really nice and shows the standard of service you get at this hotel. They only had to go a few minites down the road to the local shop but still I don't know of anywhere else that would have done that for a customer/guest so was impressed by that. Again I think a little bit of background music in the lounge would have been better. Overall our experience was very informal and relaxed we were made to feel at home and throughout the night Scott was about to offer us more drinks and make sure we were happy with everything. Outside was very dark, there were no lights on outside at all I don't know why this is as there are lights all around and in the online pictures at night the castle is all lit up. when we went to get something out of the car we couldn't see a thing and noticed that the drive way on way up to the hotel was also very dark and the lights were not on. Maybe someone forgot to put them on maybe they were broken I don't know but as it was a busy night at the hotel I would have thought that the outside lighting would have been on. Well as you can see I have only very minor issues that could easily be sorted out and I hope that this hotel continues to refurb and pickup on minor issues as if these minor things were taken care of it would be a perfect place rite now they are almost there. As mentioned in other reviews yes the floor boards creak and there are stairs to climb and small doorways to get through but its an old building. If you don't want creaky floorboards etc go stay in a chain hotel down the road. If you want somewhere quiet a little bit different to just chill out and relax in an informal atmosphere with excellent friendly staff then stay at the Broomhall Castle. I will stay again and look forward to it.

Room Tip: Room 2 is small but comfortable, I think room 8 was bigger than ours and the four poster and family...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BroomhallCastle, Public Relations Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
I could go on and on thanking you and responding to all your comments, but feel its best just to say thank you :) we know there are bits and pieces we can do to improve (the music in the bar / lounge would cost us over £2000 a year so not doing that!!)
Hopefully its not put you off and you ever coming back drop us an email and let us know :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Mancheser
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Really loved this hotel. As soon as we arrived I fell in love with the hotel/castle it all looked beautiful. We were met with a very warm welcome and shown to our room. The decor was very old fashioned but this only added to the 'castle experience'. We were led up to our room through tiny doors and up lots of stairs - something to bare in mind for people with mobility problems, although they did have a lift so looking back, I'm not sure why we weren't encouraged to use it?! It wasn't a problem though as we were just excited to see our room. The room was lovely with a massive bed! The bathroom had a huge tub (although I must admit I was disappointed that it wasn't completely 'free standing' and some of the grouting had got a little discoloured) despite this I would definitely stay here again should I ever visit the area again as the brilliant service and magical setting completely outweigh any minor negatives. The bed was very comfortable and the food in the restaurant was delicious both in the evening and the following morning. The staff were so polite and friendly and we even overlooked wild deer grazing in the morning. Absolutely lovely even with the strange teddy keyrings...you'll see what I mean if you stay here which I do highly recommend!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BroomhallCastle, Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hi Michelle

Thank you for your review and glad to hear you liked us, and hopefully we will see you again soon.. we try not to let people use the unless mobility is an issue as it is temperamental (a bit like the management! - prone to stopping any real work for no reason whatsoever!!) We are working our way around the rooms re-grouting, sadly not all our bathrooms are big enough to allow for a fully freestanding bath..

Once again thank you for a great review (and glad you loved the teddy bears!)

Thanks and see you again

Rod
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

In my job I travel all over the UK and NI. I always try and choose a place to stay which is moderate in price but when I arrived at Broomhall, not only is it set in beautiful surroundings but the welcome was lovely, they fell over themselves 2 accomodate and I am very fussy!! The castle is being renovated but is beautiful, rooms are huge and very much in period. I felt like a princess:) it isnt perfect but buildings with character never are so if you want a comfortable luxury stay this is the place to be...Alison from Liverpool x

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank alid1657
BroomhallCastle, General Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Hi Alison

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and glad you enjoyed it.. next time you are back up our way let me know and we will be more than happy to get you all booked in and give you a little tour to show you all the changes since you were last with us

Thanks again and hopefully see you soon
Glasgow
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed here for one night DBB, excellent hotel and a beautiful Castle. Wish we could have stayed a little longer. Staff were all very welcoming and could not help you enough. We will definitely be back very soon. The choice of food on the menu was excellent and plenty of it. Rooms beautiful too, typical high ceiling of the Castle style. Loved it.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Scottish55
BroomhallCastle, Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you very much for the kind words and comments and glad you enjoyed your stay with us, will pass your thanks onto all our staff and hopefully see you back at the castle in the future
Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We arrived not knowing what to expect. It was a pretty miserable winters day and to use a goold old Scottish word, it was dreich. Our room was spotlessly clean, as was our bathroom and given the height of all the ceilings, the housekeeping staff clearly do a good job. We had a meal in the restaurant and it was excellent. Fresh vegetables and home made chips. As for breakfast, it was equally delicious. The staff were genuine, friendly and very helpful. They helped create a very relaxed atmosphere. Will be going back. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BikerchicEdinburgh
Hi guys

thank you for leaving a review for us and glad to hear you enjoyed your self will pass on your comments to the team and see you again soon :)
scotland
Reviewed 23 January 2014

A friend and I booked Broomhall Castle for a one night stay whilst attending an aerial workshop nearby.
We got a lovely, warm welcome.
The room was functional apart from a mini wardrobe, luckily we didn't need to hang any clothes up.The carpet and the tv were like your Gran's and there was a huge,huge mirror.
There was a wee turret nook with a chair in it , good for watching the squirrels.
The bathroom was very different to the bedroom, lovely, stylish with a huge bath tub.
We slept well and had a wonderful breakfast.
Great value for money.
I would certainly go back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank potatomum
thank you for the review, always like to hear comments (you were in room 12 with the little turret.. one of my favorite rooms!!) Next time you are back up this way let us know and once again thank you
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This hotel is not the worst I have visited but has a lot to improve on,when we arrived on 16/01/14 there was what seemed to be major refurbishment taking place on the ground floor to what will be a large reception room had we been informed about this we would have delayed our visit for work to be finished.The room we were allocated required a full face lift as decor was marked and chipped the window had a broken sash cord making it very hard to open (management were aware of this as a block of wood was supplied on the room windowsill to hold the window up if you managed to open it). The skirting boards and the open stone wall badly needed the dust cleaned off and the fake wooden beams in the ceiling + the light required cobwebs removed,in the toilet which was clean and spacious the toilet seat was hanging loose but on the + side plenty lovely clean soft towels.The bed was comfortable with nice clean bedding and plenty of hanging space in the large wardrobe a shame the rest of the room had not been as clean as the towels and sheets.The owners are trying to instill the castle feel in the rooms,passage ways and public areas by installing fake wooden beams not well done or impressive see to the housekeeping first.The breakfast on the other hand was fantastic with good choice and the hot food was hot and not just warm like some hotels the sign of a good chef and waiting staff.A last warning watch the drive up to the hotel lots of pot holes needing attention just like the hotel but with care to detail this could become a good hotel as it is at the moment I would find it hard to book again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
BroomhallCastle, Public Relations Manager at Broomhall Castle, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Hi George T

Thank you for your review and email you sent in, I will not go into detail here as all the points you have raised I explained in my email to you, regarding "major renovations" - revarnishing a floor in a function hall that wasn't being used, the bedroom you were in, room 1, which is one of the nicest rooms you will find in a hotel, which I am sure hundreds of other people would agree, yes did require a dusting to get rid of cobwebs and was done as soon as you brought this to our attention on the day you checked out, and yes the sash window did not work, but as you said we had left something to help keep the window open in the middle of December, and again thank you for bringing this to our attention as you checked out. In my response I did offer you a meal on the house should you decide to return with us so we can prove that we are better than you think we are, an offer which you flat out refused insisting you would never return as my customer services skills were disgusting and the way we treat guests awful and we shouldn't be letting guests stay in something not finished and in a state of disrepair, which as we were offering you a discount and free meal and an apology I thought was petty minded and to be honest what we in the hospitality industry have come to expect from people who decide it makes more sense to complain either via email or on a review site after they have left, rather than 95% of guests who if had an issue would bring it up at the time, and then this would have been resolved, we could have moved you into a room with a working window, if you had told us something was dirty or dusty we would have cleaned it there and then, and if you had told us of any issues whilst you were here we would have bent over backwards to accommodate you..
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menstrie
Airth Castle & Hotel
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stirling
Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Harviestoun Country Hotel & Restaurant
Stirling Court Hotel
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Broomhall Castle? Share your experiences!