“Good but not great”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The food is good, but too expensive for what it is. Pretty average menu, some seafood items were overcooked.

1  Thank NinaLunaTella

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Parked the car in the ferry line at 9:45 am (for the 12:40 pm ferry---hint, hint) and went to eat breakfast at the Orcas Hotel. The breakfast was great (scones and gravy, eggs, bacon, potatoes, sausage, fruit, muffins, and more). Nice touch to have scones for the biscuits and gravy! The view from the restaurant is fabulous (I'm attaching a few pics of the food and the view). We'd definitely go back.

1  Thank 411Shirley
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Took a family group of six to listen to live music and have dinner - the best part of the evening was the music. Most of us ordered the burger off the menu - sounded great and looked good, but did not meet the mark. Bread should have been toasted, sweet potato fries were cold, and the taste was less than what I expected. Everything was expensive (normal on Orcas) and service was below average; but I expected the food to be better that just average. Loved the music - the duet was great. Maybe next time we will just go for the music and sit at the bar.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We've been getting breakfast at the hotel for nearly 5 years now, a couple of times a month before catching the ferry back. We decided to try Octavia's for dinner and found the food to be quite good and the service was excellent. The ribs were cooked perfectly and the salmon was right there. Doug, the owner came by and said hello and that was a nice personal touch. We've been to just about all eating establishments on Orcas and this is one of our favorites. Lest I not forget the incredible view and atmosphere. We highly recommend! Tim & Mary

2  Thank Tim R
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My husband and I finally came to Octavia's after moving to the island two years ago. I hadn't heard anything about it (not a good sign) despite working in the hospitality industry. The atmosphere was "old lady cozy," which was enjoyable, and the view is great. The fireplace made the space feel warm and welcoming. Everything else, however, was fairly awful.

We started with the clams as an appetizer. They were gritty and tough, the tomato/bacon/wine broth they were in was bland. My husband's burger was mediocre - not bad, but not good either. I ordered the Earth and Ocean: cod, prawns, potatoes, and fennel kim chee. The cod was listed on the menu as battered, but I wasn't expecting everything else to be! The meal was two large, flattened and deep fried potatoes, two deep fried prawns, and two pieces of deep fried cod on a bed of tartar sauce. The fennel "kim chee" was spicy pickled fennel, the flavor of which didn't complement anything else on the plate. It might have been nice to offset the heaviness of all the (unexpectedly) deep fried food, but it really clashed with the tartar sauce.

Our waitress did not come by once to ask us how we were doing or how the food was. When we were done, she just swung by and picked up our plates. Maybe she sensed that we weren't impressed and didn't even want to broach the subject?

We won't be going back.