“Holiday of a Lifetime” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuredu
Watford, United Kingdom
“Holiday of a Lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My wife and I have extensively travelled the world and stayed in some glorious and not so glorious places. However, I can now truly say that this was a holiday of a lifetime (although we now hope to repeat the experience next year)! There are too many superlatives that I could use to describe Kuredu Island Resort - but I will use just one - Magnificent!

We choose the Gold Inclusive package and were not disappointed in selecting and paying for this. We stayed 9 nights and received 2 x 1 hour spa treatments in addition to the free 15 minute welcome neck massage (my wife used my 1hour allocation and this wasn't a problem to arrange). 2 x evening meals (i.e. on 2 occasions for 2 people) in Franco's Italian Restaurant - great food. 2 x introductory scuba dive lessons (i.e. 1 per person). 4 x games of golf on the 6 hole pitch and putt gold course. The plan also included a mini-bar in our room which was replenished once a day. The mini-bar was well stocked and included 4 x bottles of beer (Tiger & Heineken), 2 small bottles of wine (red & white), 1 x small bottle of sparkling wine, plenty spirt minatures and associated mixers, Soft drinks and Red Bull energy drink.

Our Gold Inclusive Plan enabled us to use any bar or restaurant on the Island - so we didn't necessarily have to use the Sangua Restaurant & Bar all week. All house cocktails are included in the package as well. Every night we received a large bottle of stilled water in our room - which saw us through the night and the next day as water is available from the bars.

The staff were amazing, very friendly and helpful without being intrusive, We were allocated a waiter for our whole stay (Ali) and he looked after us extremely well. On our last night he arranged and decorated a table for us on the beach - a very nice touch. You are not restricted to sitting at the same table - it is very much choose your own.

The beaches were straight out of a holiday brochure, lovely soft white sand and surprisingly you could walk on the beach at any time of the day without burning your feet. The ocean was crystal clear and the colours of the sea was something to behold.

I read many of the Trip Advisor reports on Kuredu Island Resort before actually selecting the island - especially about the food. I can truly say that food was plentiful, varied and extremely delicious as my waist line can now testify to! My wife and I love all types of food and we were not disappointed. If you have food intolerances then check with the Island Resort before booking - but I am sure you can be accommodated in your food selection.

The Island is really a couples resort although there were a few children around during our stay - but there isn't a lot for them to do - i.e. no kids club or any organised events (ideal for us)!

There is plenty to do on the island, a very well equiped dive centre with extremely helpful staff. Island hopping trips can be arranged along with dolphin and sunset boat trips.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to sample any of this trips as we seemed to loose track of time and were content in just chilling out.

Forget your shoes - you won't need them - as the Island Resort motto is no news, no shoes! For men just take shorts and T-Shirts, for the Ladies - the same, although a lot ladies did like to wear some form of informal dress in the evening's.

Is there anything we would like to see changed on the Island - in one word - No! Perfect for us (we are in out late 50's) - there was a good age range of people on the Island from newly weds to those of us in our prime!

Our 9 nights/10 days went oh so quick - but we are definately going to return to Kuredu in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: We choose to stay in a beach jacuzzi bungalow in the Sangua Resort Area. We were not disappointed! O...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Kevin S
Ken F, General Manager at Kuredu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Kevin,
On behalf of the Management and all the Staff at Kuredu Island Resort & Spa, "thank you" for staying with us recently and providing a review of your experience for other future guests to benefit from.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and managed to make use of so many of the wonderful facilities that we have.
Your kind comments will be passed on to your Waiter, Ali.
Just to let you know that we do organise daily children's activities during the traditional school holiday periods when we cater for more families.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Regards,
Ken Flockhart,
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,435)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Well where do you start ,The fight with Etihad from Dublin to Male was excellent ,and then the Sea Plane what an experience amazing flight ,and our Luggage came on the plane with us. .Unfortunetly it was raining when we arrived on Kuredu ,no worries though it was just a glitch .Check In straight away and in our BB within 30mins . We where in BB 438 and I have to say as far as I am concerned htis is the best BB you could get , I requested between 430 to 440 but we got the best un-obstructed Views of the sea not overlooked and we ad a Hammock right outside for a couple of days.We spent 10 of our 12 days right outside our BB and didn't bother with the Pool Area for Sunbathing,but for socializing it was the place to go in the evening and into the night, Sange the bartender was always smiling and super efficient as was all the Staff at the Pool Bar . Everywhere else is very quiet except on White Nite every 2nd Friday Dj and music late into the nite . We were assigned the Bonthi Restaurant, it was a 10 min walk, barefoot no shoes required here its sand all the way ,all you have to watch out for are Rabbits and Lizards .There was food for all tastes and plenty of it .We don't do Snorkeling but from listening to all the friends we made it is amazing .Here are some of the Nos
No Traffic ,No Rushing Anywhere,and defiantly NO STRESS.Cannot wait to go back next year

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank leedsfan37
Ken F, General Manager at Kuredu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear Leedsfan37,
I am delighted that you were pleased with your Beach Bungalow and the wonderful views.
As you quite rightly say: "no stress" and "no shoes" contribute to a wonderful vacation.
Glad you enjoyed our very popular White Night Party - check out our Blog on our website for pictures of this week's event.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Regards,
Ken Flockhart,
General Manager.
Canvey, l, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Kuredu Island - our experience, october 2010.
Flight - fantastic, comfortable. didn't seem like 10 hours!
Arriving in Male - Easy, HOT! make sure to get bottled water! We didn't have a long wait for the bus to bring us to the sea planes.
Once arriving we got drinks and enjoyed the views, the colour of the ocean took our breathes away. Watching the seaplanes arrive and depart was enjoyable too.
Sea plane - I'm not a very good flyer so i was dreading the sea plane, but we got seated and belted up, all together there were 15 people on board inc. luggage so it was abit cramped and very warm! Make sure you have water and a fan of some sort! Also, EAR PLUGS! once the engines get going it is VERY loud! ear plugs are a must. Taking of was amazing and comfortable, the journey lasted 45 minutes but felt like 10! The views were just, beautiful. It felt like we were in space looking down on earth :) The landing was fun and comfortable.

Arriving at kuredu - fab from the moment i stepped off the plane. the staff helped me off as it was abit bouncy! i made them laugh though! Seeing kuredu for the first time was breath taking! We got seated and got given ice tea and cold towels, which were heaven as it was very hot. Our rep talked to us and explained what was what etc; and our luggage was taken to our rooms.

We made our own way to our rooms, wow! is all we could say. We had a jaccuzi beach villa at the sangu end of the island but not too far from the jetti. The beach was clean and well kept with sun beds waiting for us. The water pot was full and we washed our feet as we went inside, the room was cool and refreshing, the decor was beautiful, the bed was huge and just right! the garden/jaccuzi area was spotless and the bathroom with the outdoor shower was also spotless! there was nothing to fault.

The restaurants were fantastic. In each one there was a huge variety of fresh food of different cultures and the drinks were cold and fresh. Some thing for every one! The chefs were lovely and so were the waiters. Again, nothing to fault.

The excursions were fantastic, the speed boat trip to see the dolphins were so much fun! very bouncy and fast and we got very wet! We saw 5 dolphins in total which was breath taking and i got emotional as it was a dream come true! Summer was great and looked after us! Me, my brother and my fiance loved it so much that we booked another trip as soon as we got back for the day after! The second trip we had, we wern't lucky enough to see the dolphins, but summer made up for it by doing tricks with the boat and going super fast over the waves which we loved! he took us 40 minutes out to sea, close to other islands! FANTASTIC!
We also went on the sun set cruise which was beautiful..! The sky looked like it was on fire, i've never seen such beautiful colours :)
My mum, dad and brother went on the island hoping trip which was a full day excursion, and they said it was incredible but too hot!

We spent most days in the ocean outside our beach villa, snorkeling. The sea life we saw was incredible. We had silver fish follow us every where in the shallows, we saw massive fish nearer the corals, near to the jetti! We also had a turtle that lived in the corals just past the shallows outside our villas.

I was lucky enough to one day see a shadow in the water outside our villa.. i grabbed my snorkel and ran into the water and swam out, only to see it was a huge manta ray!!!! I was scared but it was one of the best experiences in my life!!!!! it was so gracious and incredible! the way the manta swam looked like it was gliding through air, and it didn't seem threatened at all as i hovered above it!

We also loved seeing the fruit bats, they were beautiful and reminded us of our chihuahua we have at home! lol.
There were herons too, who strolled the beach to get some fish and also we had a few lizards that lived near our villas who visited every day! We also loved the crabs! SO cute! :)
It was amazing to see, each morning outside our villas, there was thousands of crab tracks where they had been during the night! there must be loads!!!! they looked like little tyre tracks!

We had a few invasion of ants in our bathrooms but as soon as we told reception they sent someone to sort it out for us straight away and we didnt have trouble again!

The spa was to die for. This became a regular thing for me and my mum! Wayan was especially lovely and she made us laugh so much! She wanted to marry my brother lol! The treatments were incredible and the experience was perfect! Especially in the water villa rooms where you put your face in the hole on the table to look down at the glass bottomed floor to see fish and mantas swim past in the shallows beneath!! wow!!!

Our room boy shamil was adorable. we all fell in love with him! lol! He was too cute. He done everything and more without us having to ask. He also left us beautiful surprises when we came back to our rooms by decoration our beds with towel sculptures or pictures made from flower petals :) on our last night we did one in return and wrote 'thank you shamil' on our beds, it made him smile. :) He told us all about him and his family and we learnt so much. Thank you shamil!

Our lovely waiter, Abdullah was adorable too! He showed us card tricks and taught us some maldivian words! Sukaria! (hello!) He also remembered what drinks we liked and how we took them and surprised us every morning with them waiting for us on our tables :) Naim from the sangu bar was also lovely and done everything and more for us too!

The staff were so helpful and none of them were rude. They made us feel like their friends and me and my mum cried when we had to say goodbye to them all on our last day. Abdullah was the one who made me cry and he gave us all a cuddle!! So sweet. :) I have abdullah as a facebook friend now and keep in touch with him regularly!

We only spent one day at the pool due to loving the ocean so much! We tipped the pool boy so he would save us 5 sunbeds which he did and it was fantastic. just watch out if you lay under the palm trees as they have coconuts on them! i got up from the sun bed to get into the pool and exactly 5 seconds later, a coconut dropped off and hit the sun bed in the spot where my head would of been lol!!! so be careful haha. :)

We went in the season of the jellyfish!!! hundreds of little purple jelly fish got washed up to shore for 2 days, and we found out they came to shore to die (this made me sad!!!) but there were staff that removed them all the time so people didn't get stung.

When i was in the ocean, i got stung by a jelly fish that was in the shallows and it did, well.. sting! lol, i had tentacle marks on me too! I did panic a bit as i didn't know whether they were poisonous but i put some germaline on the sting marks and it didn't hurt after that and cleared up and i was back in the water within 5 minutes!

The lovely thing about kuredu is that no wild life or sea life there will harm you (unless if you harm them of course) and nothing around is poisonous! When my mum and dad went to the other islands they came across parrot fish, unicorn fish and other ones which were harmful, but luckily kuredu did not have these unless if you went right out or were just unlucky! so being in the ocean was very peaceful. :)

The waters did seem cold due to the land being very warm but it was so refreshing, (the waters wernt cold in temperate, but due to having hot skin, it felt like it!)

Within our two weeks it rained twice, but even then the temperatures where very warm, but cleared the air which was nice! we sat outside our villas waiting for it to pass and the views were incredible. The ocean was also very warm when it rained and it was a joy to experience the maldivian rain whilst in the indian ocean :)

Daily we had the sand fly busters that walked past every day, clearing the sand of the flys! it was not recommended to lay on the sand without a towel or sun bed.
Me and my mum found ourselves, taking our sun beds out into the shallows of the ocean and sat in them!!!! was amazing lol :)

the gift shop was lovely! i wanted to buy everything! we went there all the time to buy snacks for our room and biscuits for our tea! being british and all haha :) and i also left my toothbrush at home but they luckily had colgate ones in the shop lol!
we rented out flippers from the diving place which were great!
and there is a fantastic jewelry shop too! (too tempting and beautiful to buy some of the rings in there!!!!)

we bought our souvenirs for home, which included the typical things like fridge magnets etc; which are still on our fridge today! and i also have a book mark with 'maldives' on it with a fish on the top, which i treasure and use all the time :)

I really, really, miss kuredu and want to return asap. but due to it being so expensive, its hard :( but we WILL return one day, when we can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU KUREDU!!!!!!!! <3

things to take with you - sun cream (obviously! highest one possible! sun burns were VERY sore after spending the day in the ocean) ear plugs for the sea plane! a toothbrush!! (haha)
and i recommend an under water camera! I was gutted i never had one but bought one from the gift shop, but these photos didn't turn out too good. so a digital underwater camera would be a very good investment!!!!! i will be doing this next time!
a fan for the sea plane!!

Every thing was clean and tidy, traditional yet modern, comfortable and homely.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Amy L
Christchurch, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

As it was our honeymoon we got upgraded to a beach villa - beautiful. Great food and lots of things to do on the island. The outside bathroom was really lovely. We paid extra for the gold all inclusive - would definitely recomend this - you get any cocktails you want, and various other extras sucha as a meal in the a la carte restuarant, games of golf and tennis...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clare C
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

We booked this couples holiday in May 2011. It was very expensive (as all Maldivan holidays are) but it was a wonderful experience. We decided on Kuredu as it was one of the larger islands (therefore more people). We also decided to upgrade from a Beach Bungalow and decided to go the whole hog and stayed in an 'O' beach villa. This meant that we had a beautiful and modern villa directly overlooking the ocean. The room had all mod cons and focus was around the Queen size bed! In the morning you opened up our curtains and looked directly at the ocean - fantastic view! The bathroom (daisy shower, toilet and 'his and her' sinks) were at the back and you were exposed to the elements! All very private and you soon got used to this idea. The upgrade almost meant that you had exclusive use of the 'O' pool and restaurant but could also use the normal facilities - which meant you had double the options for breakfast, lunch and dinner and pool swimming! We were all inclusive and the meal options were many! I can not believe some of the food that the island offered! You were also able to eat at other restaurants available on the island - including the local coffee house were the working locals ate. They made you feel very welcome. We also arrived on the island via aircraft which gave a fantastic view of the all the islands and it's tremendous beauty. Being in the sea swimming with rays, turtles, sharks etc was amazing. These memories will stay with me forever. The only criticism of the island was the fact that you could not take any bottles or cups from the restaurant to your room and although we were all inclusive and had tea and coffee making facilities in the room we had to pay extra for the coffee pods which were available in the souvenir shop. Also the entertainment on the evenings was rather basic but OK if you are comfortable with Karaoke, Mr & Mrs quizzes and crab racing.... But all in all absolute heaven and well worth the money!

Room Tip: Upgrade to 'O' beach villas if you can afford it. Go for the Jacuzzi one's as these wer...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Debra C
Preston, Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I stayed on Kuredu in November for our belated Honeymoon. After a bit of a nightmare-ish journey from Manchester whereby a 15 minute delay in England meant that we missed our connecting flight from Qatar to Male on which our friend was the pilot, we were exhausted when we finally arrived in Male, over 9 hours later than scheduled. We were whisked through the airport to the seaplane lounge where we were greeted with a lovely goody bag and a much needed bottle of cold water. We waited for our flight whilst relaxing on the loungers on the deck, watching the sea planes land and take-off. I was a little nervous as I'm not a good flyer, and although I was terrified for most of the flight, I have to say the views are incredible. The pilots were so funny, like something off Top Gun with their aviator sunglasses, shorts and barefoot flying! My husband absolutely loved it!
When we arrived at Kuredu, the sun had just set and the island was beautifully lit up. We walked down the jetty and were greeted by the staff playing the island drums. I was so blown away. We were taken into the reception area and given a cold drink and face cloth and shown to our room by our rep, Laura. Our bags followed shortly afterwards.
Rooms: We stayed in a Beach Bungalow. Our room was beautiful and more than comfortable. The four poster bed was lovely, there was plenty of wardrobe space, a safe, a coffee machine and the bathrooms were clean and spacious. The bathroom is outdoors, although completely private and partially sheltered by a lean-to roof. It takes a bit of getting used to but I loved showering whilst watching the fruit bats in the trees.
We had a small outdoor decking area, again partially sheltered by thatched roofing, with two sun loungers, chairs and a table. We had a lovely view of the sea and the area of the beach on which our room was situated was, in our opinion, the best stretch of beach on the island. We were situated on a small lagoon area, just next to the water bungalows, where the water was calm and clear, sheltered by breakers further out in the lagoon.
The rooms were cleaned daily by a very attentive room boy, and turned down at nighttime, and we had a bottle of water left on our decking every evening.
Food: When we first entered the restaurant, we were allocated a waiter who would look after us for the duration of our stay. We were very lucky to have been allocated Shahim, who was just fantastic. Such a friendly and polite man, nothing was ever too much trouble. He would deliver our drinks before we asked, always noticing when we had come in and sat down. He would always ask us how we had enjoyed our day and chat to us about the island/weather/snorkelling/football! He really made the holiday for us and we were happy to leave him a generous tip at the end of our stay as we appreciated the little extras that he provided to ensure we enjoyed our holiday. On our last day, he decorated our table with flowers and asked us to come back again soon. We were really touched and incredibly sad to leave!
The food was excellent. I am a fussy eater and my husband often suffers with his stomach but neither of us had any problems at all. In fact, we tried things that we haven't ever eaten before and we were very impressed with the variety and the flavour of the food.
Drink: I struggled a bit with the All Inclusive as I don't really drink spirits and the ones that I do drink were not included in the AI, however the red wine was drinkable and the happy hour at the pool bar for cocktails was a lovely way to end a lazy day soaking up the sun by the pool. Husband was more than happy with the beer and the odd cocktail.
Snorkelling: We brought our snorkelling gear with us and ventured out to the reef a couple of times. I haven't ever snorkelled before and was quite impressed to see such a variety of sealife in such a beautiful reef. My husband was very keen and went out at least once a day. We saw lots of baby reef sharks and a couple of rays, Angel Fish, Clown Fish and lots of others that I can't name. The two things to be wary of are Trigger Fish which can be a bit defensive and chase you, and the currents, which can be very strong and change direction without warning. If you sign up to do the free introductory scuba lesson at the dive centre, all of this is explained to you.
The Island: The Island itself was pure paradise. My husband and I were amazed to learn of its capacity as you could walk the perimeter of the island and only come across a handful of people. The pictures do not do the island justice, it truly is picture perfect. Powder white sands and the clearest turquoise water - we were amazed at the colour of the ocean as it simply does not look real. It is so clean and surprisingly lush and green, and insects were not a problem at all. Considering I tend to be a target for mossies, I was pleasantly surprised to find I had no bites at all during our stay. The wildlife is fantastic. Several times we were stopped in our tracks to watch a fruit bat climb through the trees and there were herons at the water's edge looking for fish on a daily basis. The reef sharks in the lagoon outside our bungalow were brilliant to watch and we got some amazing photos of the lizards basking in the sun on the trees.
The layout of the Island was lovely too. The accommodation was private and quiet, and although the bungalows are close to each other, there was never any noise or disruption from our neighbours and privacy was still maintained. The sandy walkways throughout the island were lovely - we both loved the no shoes rule! The main areas were incredible. The restaurant, reception bar and main bar are all large open spaces, with thatched roofs open at the sides and sand floors. The main bar had a decking area with lounge beds and comfy seating, with aquatic themed lighting on the roof. It was a perfect and chilled place to enjoy a couple of drinks or music and dancing. The entertainment varied from lively DJ nights, to quiet chilled out evenings, both of which we enjoyed.
Weather: We were on Kuredu for a week from the 14th November. The weather for the first couple of days was fantastic - sunny, clear blue skies and cloudless starry nights. It was very hot and I don't tend to burn but I did go a bit pink in the first couple of days - high factor suncream is needed! We did have a couple of days of rain which was a little disappointing, however it gave us both chance to unwind with a good book and a few drinks and even though may be raining, it is still very warm and the sea is still pleasant - doesn't stop you from enjoying yourself.
Facilities: My husband made use of the golf course and was a frequent visitor to the sports bar on the island, while I enjoyed spending time in the spa. The complementary introductory massage was simply not long enough and my husband and I indulged in a full body massage which was heavenly. We did not experience any of the A La Carte restaurants or the water sports as we were on Kuredu for only one week, combining our honeymoon with a week on another Island. Had we had more time to spend there, we would have loved to have experienced more of the Island, but we heard excellent reports from others who had indulged.
We did the sunset cruise whilst we were there which was fantastic and we did get to see dolphins - a must-do!

All in all, this was a perfect stay on an amazing Island. We aren't repeat travellers as there are so many places in the world that we want to see, but we have both agreed that we would return to Kuredu in a hearbeat. We were so sad to leave and as I write this 4 months on, thinking of our time on the Island makes me so happy. It is far superior to the other island that we stayed on whilst in the Maldives and it really, truly was the most relaxing week of our lives. I think you underestimate just how relaxed you are after a break on Kuredu until you return to the reality of your every day life. An incredible place, amazing staff and the most fantastic week of our lives. Really couldn't fault it at all. Thank you Kuredu!

Room Tip: Beach bungalows that are on the sheltered bay lagoon next to the water bungalows are on the lovliest...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Sunbabe86
Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

This trip was booked for a special occasion and sadly failed to live up to expectations.
We have travelled to many 4 & 5 star all inclusive destinations worldwide for substantially less money and have never experienced anything like this Island.
This was a £5500 trip for two, including an upgrade to a Beach Bungalow but found ourselves looking at trees rather than beach and past the trees was a view of the Water Villas rather than the sea.
Unfortunately we feel that “ all inclusive “ is not a term that should be used to describe this holiday. We have never been on an AI holiday with so many restrictions, we were allocated our 1 restaurant and our 3 bars where we were allowed to eat and drink, any speciality restaurants (you have to pay) what AI has no food available between 2.30pm and 7.30pm (unless you pay) what AI has no drink available in your room at all (unless you pay) what AI will refuse for you to take drinks away from the bar. (even in plastic) As a resort with 750 guests, there is certainly not the capacity for each guest to have a sunbed near the bars and restaurants, hence the sunbeds with each accommodation, but if you stay by your accommodation then no other included facilities are available to you, other than the 1.5 litres of water provided each day and if you drink all that, you have to pay!
At our welcome meeting we were informed that we were expected to tip our waiter, and room boy around 10-15 dollars a week each, and over the course of the holiday it transpired we were also expected to tip the bus driver, barmen and any boat crews (even on the free cruise!)
On arrival there were 4 x coffee sachets and 4 x tea bags in our room, once used they are not replaced you can however purchase for about 80p each cup a pod for the machine provided, even a £19 a night Travelodge provides tea and coffee.
I wonder whether the complete airline crew on their one week stop over had to pay for their tea and coffee?
Sadly when holidaying on an Island this small there is no room to hide, what restricts and frustrates you does so all day everyday.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank Simba3262
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuredu
Cheval Blanc Randheli
#1 of 1 in Kanifushi Island
Hurawalhi Island Resort
Hurawalhi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Hurawalhi

Been to Kuredu Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!