“Beautiful island, great staff”

Kuredu Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuredu
Surrey, England
“Beautiful island, great staff”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We enjoyed a week’s all-inclusive stay at Kuredu in an ‘O’ Beach Villa. It was my third trip to the Maldives and my boyfriend’s first, and he can’t stop talking about it. Our villa was lovely – clean, well-maintained and regularly and unobtrusively serviced throughout by Thoha. It was only on our last evening we had a small invasion of ants on the bathroom floor, which we stepped over at the time, and in the morning they’d all gone. The open-backed bathroom does feel a bit exposed at first, but you get used to it in no time and it was useful having a clothes line to dry your swimwear. I'm glad I brought my own toiletries as the shampoo/conditioner and shower gel provided but didn’t smell very luxurious (there’s a reasonable selection of toiletries in the resort shop, but the prices are eye-watering.) I made a point on this trip of taking home my empty plastic bottles now I'm aware the Maldives have such a problem with rubbish. Beach towels are provided in the room and were replaced regularly; the day bed on the verandah was a really nice place to doze or read a book in the shade. We made use of the free wi-fi but found it frustrating as the connection was flaky at best. I tried using the PC provided in the Entertainment Centre, but didn’t find that to be any better.

With hindsight we would have preferred a villa on the eastern side of the island which has the more iconic Maldivian beaches. The western side has lots of baby sharks/rays but the beach and sea are rockier with some artificial sea defences (in fairness, I didn't find these too much of an eye-sore.) There are stronger currents on the western side while the house reef and safe snorkelling are on the east side.

The house reef is a way out from the beach and I’m not a confidence snorkeler, so I took the house reef tour. The visibility wasn’t great the day I went, but having someone looking out for you was reassuring, especially when a seaplane landed and taxied close by. We were assured the pilots are used to looking for snorkelers as they taxi in and out. There are lots of good size fish to be seen though just by snorkelling off the beach; it was here my boyfriend saw a turtle grazing on the sea grass. We heard one couple say they'd seen a turtle swim past them as they walked along the beach.

We walked around the whole island late one afternoon and it took a couple of hours – walking along the sand spit, stopping for a drink at the sunset bar, paddling with the sharks and rays, stopping to watch a seaplane take off. It was almost dark by the time we got back to the villa. We’re not ones for nightlife so didn’t see much of the evening entertainment and usually enjoyed a coffee in one of the huge double loungers in the O bar, listening to the music. It was very relaxing. On a couple of occasions we were nearly caught out as dinner finishes at 21:30, which seems a little early to me when you're on holiday.

Depending on the location of your villa, be prepared for a lot of walking. Our villa was No 325 out of 333 meaning we were some distance from the O Restaurant and Spa – a good 15-20 minute saunter. It was great fun for the first few of days, either walking along the shoreline or the sandy road behind the villas, but after the fourth or fifth day, especially in the heat, it lost a bit of its appeal. We made use of the small flashlight we brought with us on the walk back after dinner as the path was dark in places. One afternoon we tried to order a golf buggy to our villa to be told they only run from main reception to O reception and back. We took it anyway and asked the driver to stop near our villa, which he happily did.

The staff at the resort are great; we were greeted with smiles everywhere and attentive service. We really enjoyed the food – there are plenty of healthy choices with lots of salads and vegetables if you want to be good – but I found the desserts impossible to resist and usually came back with several on my plate. The variety was good and neither of us found the food repetitive. We had our regular waiter in the O Restaurant but switched to eat at the Bonthi or Koamas restaurants for lunch whenever we used the main pool. We had dinner in Franco’s restaurant one evening, sitting out on the deck. It was a lovely change to have someone take our order and bring the food to our table. We shared a creamy pasta dish and a pizza and enjoyed the bread basket with the oil and balsamic vinegar instead of a starter.

We spent one day by the O pool which was lovely and quiet, but it was much better for us at the main pool for the beach and snorkelling. We were told the resort was at around 60% occupancy so it never felt crowded and there were no problems finding a lounger. There are no umbrellas for shade so you use the trees; we didn't have a problem finding suitable loungers although we lost some of the shade as the sun moved round. It’s currently the wet monsoon and we had regular showers during the night, but were lucky to encounter rain only once during the day (there are umbrellas in the room if needed.) The rest of our week was hot and sunny although a couple of days were hot and overcast.

So, would I return to the Maldives? Most definitely. Would I return to Kuredu? I'd look to stay at a different resort as I always do but my boyfriend would return to Kuredu in a heartbeat.

Things I really didn’t like:
Having to wear a wrist band
Having to sign lots of receipts for zero value (but not on every occasion)
Being on the ‘wrong’ side of the island

Things I loved about Kuredu:
Beautiful beaches
Paddling every day amongst the baby sharks and baby rays
Very few mosquitoes – I didn't use repellent and only had three minor bites
The wonderful staff
The spas
Walking along the spit of sand at low tide
The seaplane transfers

Room Tip: The villas with the best beaches are on the east side of the island.
5 Thank tizkay
KenFlockhart, General Manager at Kuredu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Tizkay,
Holiday greetings from all of us at Kuredu Island Resort and Spa. I am delighted you so enjoyed the O Resort and O Beach Villa. As you point out, our House Reef is a display of colourful and abundant marine life, well worth it even for the less confident snorkelers, when guided by the fantastic team from Prodivers. The Culinary Team, in particular the Pastry department, are very proud to hear of your praise and recognition of the food available. I apologize you were frustrated with the Wifi connections and speed. The island location and logistics of such technology still gives us the odd challenge. For the benefit of other Tripadvisor readers, Kuredu is 1,500m by 300m, taking 45 minutes to walk around at a steady pace. There is also a buggy service that runs between the 3 Receptions located at the center, East and West of the Island. As you point out, we suffer little trouble from insects and other pests due to our program of fogging and control.
Once again Tizkay, thank you for taking the time to post your Kuredu memories and I hope you decide, like your boyfriend, to return and see us again.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,469)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Absolutely love this place staff really friendly we had a beach bungalow and it was perfect right out ur front door on to the beach. crystal clear ocean was perfect for snorkelling saw lots of reef life including turtles & black tip reef sharks. The food was also outstanding can't fault bit of the whole holiday

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ads20131
Dear Adam,
Greetings from the sunny Maldives. Thank you for taking the time to write this fabulous review of our resort. I am delighted to read you love Kuredu and hope we can include you in the growing number of our Repeat Guest family very soon. I wish you well on behalf of all of us at Kuredu Island Resort and Spa.

Essex
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Just came back from staying at kuredu for 1 week. we stayed in a beach bungalow which was fabulous! was nice to walk along the beach in the mornings and see sharks and sting rays on the way to breakfast! the hotel is very well kept, lots of staff cleaning etc even collecting up the sea weed i assume to make the views nicer! included in our all inclusive was a free sunset cruise (which we say dolphins on!), snorkeling lesson, massage and windsurfing lesson which was a nice touch. Overall one of the nicest places i have stayed however a few things that let it down. Firstly there are no umbrellas around the pool so it was either get there early for a sunbed under a tree or burn! Secondly the food was very nice but did get a bit repetitive. towards the end of the week i was getting a bit bored of the same things in the buffet restaurant. Thirdly there wasn't a lot of choice in the all inclusive drinks package, only around 4 cocktails, beer, wine and house spirits. we have stayed in Mexico before where all spirits including brands, coconut cocktails and even visits to A La Carte restaurants were all included in the all inclusive package.
Other than that we had a wonderful stay. Just a small note that we would highly recommend the Pro-Dive scuba centre on the island. we did the introduction to diving which was very good, the instructor was very helpful and supportive towards my wife who was a bit unsure with the breathing etc we had around 40 mins in the water at no more than 2 meters depth and we saw clown fish, puffer fish, and a baby turtle! was well worth the 59 USD each we paid in my opinion.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark N
Dear Mark,
Tropical greetings from the Team at Kuredu Island Resort and Spa. Thank you for your review of both positive and constructive comments. I am delighted you enjoyed the Beach Bungalow and got to see the Black Tip Reef Sharks and some Rays. The pod of Spinner Dolphins that share our waters often put on a show for the Sunset Cruise, a real favorite and popular excursion. For the benefit of other readers, we offered 10 cocktails as part of the all-inclusive package during the time of your stay and as of July 1st, 2014 we will be offering all other cocktails on the bar menu. We also offer a Gold All-inclusive rate with other inclusions. Different themed menus in our buffet restaurants are on a 14 day cycle. I am sorry, that on this occasion, it did not meet your expectations concerning variety.
The professional and experienced Team at Prodivers are very grateful for your recommendations and recognition, they do a terrific job.
Once again Mark, thank you for sharing your holiday memories with us. It is through feedback such as yours that we are constantly enhancing the Kuredu experience. I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Halstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

First of all i would like to thank Ken and his wonderful staff for making this such a wonderful anniversary.

Yes the resort is spotless, yes the food is wonderful and yes the staff are exceptional friendly. But what my wife and i noticed is that everyone we met had the same opinion, and having been to many resorts around the world we found this amazing! There was no moaners and groaners. I will not repeat what everyone else says, because its true, but simply say that this destination is perfect and real value for money and will be breaking our golden rule and returning.

Thanks again Ken for everything and it was so nice to meet you and thank you in person.

Room Tip: We had villa 122 and felt this was in the perfect location on the island
1 Thank chrissale
Dear Chris and Julie,
Anniversary congratulations from all of us at Kuredu Island Resort and Spa. We are very humbled by your fantastic review and delighted you have been convinced to come and visit us again! Kuredu, is indeed, a magical place. It was great to meet you both and I look forward to welcoming you back

Manchester, England
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Wow! This resort certainly exceeded our expectations.
The staff are exceptional. They are friendly, very hardworking and the whole island is spotless and well-organised.
The food is outstanding. We stayed for 10 nights and there was a different theme every night. You won't get bored, like you can at some all inclusive hotels! A very big thank you to our waiter, Asim, who was fantastic.
We stayed in the 'O' resort and our room was one of the best we've ever stayed in, very comfortable and luxurious. Thank you to our houseboy, Azeem.
The snorkeling was excellent, the watersports available were great too. We tried the free 30 min windsurfing offer which I'd highly recommend. I think I would sign up for the one hour course next time!
I'm not a golfer but the golf driving range and 6 hole course was good fun.
We visited the 'O' resort spa for a couples massage package. This was a real treat, the ladies were very talented and the coconut bath with champagne and fruits was wonderful.
I could go on for ages about how amazing everything was, but if you have any questions let me know. I hope that we will return one day as many other people do!

Room Tip: You can charge anything you buy to your room, but take some US dollars for tips as the staff really...
3 Thank VegasBuckley
Dear VegasBuckley,
Hello from Kuredu Island Resort and Spa. What a fantastic review. Thank you on behalf of the entire Kuredu Team. We strive to exceed every guests expectations and are delighted that you so enjoyed our magical island. Asim and Azeem will be very proud to be mentioned for their attentive and professional care. It is always good to read when guests have taken full advantage of our facilities as you did from the world class snorkeling, water sports and golf to the sensual treatments at the hands of the wonderful ladies from Duniye Spa.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The wow factor hits you from the moment you step out of the seaplane into the marvelous sand of Kuredu. The warm welcome from the staff kick start the dream holiday. We fell in love with the resort from the first day. They have numerous activities that leave you wanting to extend your vacation, which we were not able to do, unfortunately.
I cannot name one great thing about the island because everything is tremendous. The food is delicious, the beach villa is very comfy with breath-taking views, water sports are a must, golf club is marvelous, and last but not least, the spa is a sensational.
We would certainly plan a second trip to Kuredu, hopefully in the near future.
If you are browsing for an island in the Maldives to go relax and indulge yourself, book this resort without any hesitation.

From Morocco with love!

Room Tip: If you are booking a beach villa, go for villa# 109 or 110
1 Thank Abdelbari A
Dear Abdelbari,
Sunny greetings from the Maldives. It is fantastic to read the wow factor stayed with you throughout your time on Kuredu Island Resort and Spa and you so enjoyed many of the activities available. From all the Teams at Ocean Watersports, Kuredu Golf Club and of course the wonderful Duniye Spa, thank you for the high praise and recognition!
As, on this occasion, you could not extend your time with us, I hope we can welcome you back as one of our repeat guests very soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Kuredu was truly amazing!

My wife and i went in June/July 2013 which is part of the raining season but that did not make a difference to our holiday - we would get a heavy down poor of rain for 30mins to an hour max and that would be it for the day (perfect excuse to sit in the bar to get some shelter).

We stayed in a beach bungalow which was perfect for us, they were clean, had enough space for 2, showers located outside (enclosed area) which we thought were lovely. We looked out to the sea (20 yards away from the sea) and we were located away from the restaurant/staff area. The standard bungalows are located near the staff grounds.

The island takes 45mins to casually walk round, we did this a few times as you get to see some amazing views, we would also see some baby sharks, sting rays & Manta rays in the pools north of the island.

Food was lovely for breakfast, lunch & dinner - you name it they had it. They had a theme for dinner each night which has a 2 week rota. I would recommend there fresh fish that they cooked every night!

Evening entertainment if I had to rate the resort down on anything this would be it. It was okay but some of the entertainment had a lack of enthusiasm by the staff, specially the crab racing. The Golf night, pool party and the white party where all good nights.

Tips:
Ask to have a tour round the staff, it is quite impressive on how the island is run.
When snorkelling by the beach swim over the weed area as that's where you will see the turtles - they eat the weeds.
Free wifi at the end of the peer at the coffee shop, you sometimes get to see some big black tip reef sharks at night (these are fairly harmless).
When Snorkelling walk halve way up the peer and swim out to the reef, you will see some great fish out there, if you are not sure ask the dive centre where the reef is.
Tipping the staff - you are not required to tip but most people do, we took some US Dollars with us and tipped when we thought the staff deserved it, some will go the extra mile for you.

Room Tip: Beach Bungalows are located away from the Staff area.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephen_hastings
Dear Stephen,
Greetings from sunny Kuredu Island Resort and Spa. Thank you for your fantastic review and comments about you recent holiday in paradise. We are all thrilled you enjoyed the bungalow and the wildlife you encountered during walks around the island. Our Culinary Team will very much appreciate the recognition of the varied and delicious food on offer. Thank you, also, for your helpful recommendations, especially regarding the back of house tour. It is a real eye opener to see the logistics and operations that keep our beautiful Resort functioning. I also take on board the comments relating to our entertainment program and will discuss with the Team.
Once again Stephen, thank you for taking the time to share your Kuredu memories and I hope it is not too long before we welcome you back to paradise.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuredu
Cheval Blanc Randheli
#1 of 1 in Madhiriguraidhoo Island
Atmosphere Kanifushi Maldives
Atmosphere Kanifushi Maldives
#1 of 1 in Kanifushi Island

Been to Kuredu Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!