Just returned from a lovely 2 weeks at Kuredu. Lucky enough to have 2 weeks of virtually uninterrupted sun in the middle of monsoon season. We stopped in a JBV on the south side, and was lucky enough to snorkel with 2 massive green turtles and a hawksbill just 10 feet into the water from our room. Here are a few pros and cons from our stay:
Pros: Island is beautiful and well serviced
General set up arms amenities very good.
1st class dive centre with Pro divers.
Good quality buffet food and the 2 a la carte meals were superb.
Friendly waiting and serving staff.
Cons: Efficiency of reception staff could be improved.
Lack of options for younger children at meal times.
Poor options for entertaining young children.
Some poor decisions by management regarding drinks for AI guests.
Management's lack of honesty regarding Sanguine closure & their apparent focus on extracting money from guests.
I think the pros explain themselves, but let me give some substance to the cons. Our dealings with reception was generally poor, especially in the 1st week. Our eldest son wasn't given any quilt cover for his bed, and when we asked for a quilt we were told "we aren't sure if we have a spare! We also had confusion booking excursions. Our real issue came with our desire to renew our vows at Kuredu, and how this wasn't dealt with in a satisfactory manner.
We had emailed Kuredu and provisionally booked a date. But upon arrival we were not contacted once regarding this. When we saw the renewal area at the Sangu, it was literally 20 foot from a building site, albeit fenced off but with a JCB and digger in clear view. Who wants to get married next to that? And why not move it whilst the work was ongoing? The building work was never mentioned, and as a whole lots of Sangu guests weren't notified of the work.
Although we didn't stop in the Sangu, the work affected the whole island. Because the bar and restaurant was closed, it forced Sangu guests to other areas. The O resort by all accounts was a scramble for tables at 8pm at dinner opening. No one wants that on holiday. This is where it appears top management are putting profit retention over customer satisfaction.
Our main issue with the island is the lack of focus of families with younger children. The food (albeit generally excellent) had no child buffet. This often made meal times difficult with our 18 month old. And this isn't just an English thing, we spoke to a family from Finland who said the same with their toddler and 10 year old daughter.
There is also very few activities for children, and there were a lot of families at Kuredu. I think this needs to be addressed by management, as Kuredu being a bigger island does attract family groups. There are plenty of other islands just for couples, so don't ignore the needs of a large contingent of your clientele.
The fact the island had the Sangu (when open), the O resort and the rest of the island is a good set up. But why make AI customers pay $6 for a milkshake that is made with powder? And why allow customers to have Malibu in a cocktail but not on its own? Even the bar staff admitted that this was a stupid decision that they have already raised with management.
These gripes were fairly minor issues, and for me did not detract too much from the overall holiday. But I think if the needs of smaller children was considered more then I would have scored Kuredu a 5. I have put all these points on their questionnaire also.
The dive school really is excellent and I cannot fault them. Certainly the best dive school I have every been too. Some great dive sites, very friendly and professional staff, and an excellent focus on safety.
I would certainly return to Kuredu, I hope they just consider the needs of families with small children in the near future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kuredu Island Resort & Spa, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Kuredu, in Lhaviyani Atoll. It is 1800 meters long by 325 meters wide, about 57 Hectares (143 acres). Your seaplane transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 40 minute flight. The 383 Rooms include 10 Sultan Pool Villas including 1 Villa Family Suite, 50 Sangu Water Villas including 1 Honeymoon Suite, 100 Jacuzzi Beach Villas, 93 Beach Villas, 90 Beach Bungalows & 40 Garden Bungalows. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Travelbag, 5viajes2012 S.L., TravelUp, Agoda, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Kuredu Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kuredu Island Hotel Kuredu
- Kuredu Island Resort And Spa
- Hotel Kuredu Island
- Kuredu Island Maldives
- Kuredu Maldives
- Kuredu Island Resort Maldives
- Kuredu Island Resort & Spa Maldives