“Superb meal”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Blackboys
Price range: US$10 - US$31
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Blackboys Inn is a 14th Century public house and restaurant located in the pretty hamlet of Blackboys, situated on the outskirts of Uckfield, East Sussex. The Blackboys Team have been introducing exciting new menus and offering superb hospitality as well as offering traditional home cooked Sunday Roasts. To accompany your meal, there is a superb selection of Fine Harveys Ale and also an excellent wine selection. Whether you want a family Sunday Roast or an informal gathering with friends or even a celebration with an extra special twist, you can be assured of fresh, seasonal food at its best. The Blackboys Team are very sociable and enjoy nothing more than hosting regular entertainment, live music, quiz nights and wine tasting evenings.
Hove, United Kingdom
“Superb meal”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We arrived late in the afternoon after a trip to London, sun was shining and lots of people sitting outside in the beautiful gardens.
We arrived for a very late lunch (4.20pm) and were very happy that food is served all day!
Ordered a starter of dry cured venison, artichokes and olives to share, then one main of sea bass with spring onion mash, asparagus and butter sauce and another main of crayfish, apple and celery arancini with a walnut salad and tomato dressing.
All food arrived very promptly, was absolutely delicious and good value for money.
We are bikers and were not made to feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.
An excellent country pub that is already on our list of favourites!

1 Thank Loraine B

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value for money”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

What a nice afternoon after a morning walking in Abbots Wood, we arrived at 14.15 to a garden packed with people and a very accomplished singer/guitar player playing al fresco. We went into to the bar expecting a wait, suprise! we were served immediately by a very pleasant member of staff. I chose from a very good selection of beer and my wife had a soft drink, we both ordered the salad of Salmon, crab, new potato and asparagus. We found a table in the sun and only waited about 15 minutes before it arrived. It was a good size very well dressed and tasty, all in all a very good eperience, we will be returning for a full meal very soon.

Sheerness, United Kingdom
“Scrumylicious”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I eat out regularly and having been a chef myself, we can be very critical. We had three courses each all different and I have to say there was not a single element of any dish that we could fault. The ingredients were all fresh, seasonal and cooked to perfection.
The beers pristine, the wines excellent and the service impecable.
We never felt rushed but were not left waiting either, the timing of service by the friendly and knowledgable staff was spot on.
Having 3 top quality courses under £30 per head including drinks we both agreed it was excellent value especially with so many eateries theses days charging Michelin star prices for only average 'pub grub'.
If you like a nice English country pub, appreciate excellent food, and enjoy a well kept pint of real ale look no further. The Blackboys Inn has it all in spades

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great night”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Large birthday group and had a great evening. Very attentive and responsive service. Food was great. Wine was great. Ambience was great. We had a wonderful night and difficult to imagine what could have been better. Thanks

London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Easter Sunday”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I visited Blackboys Inn on Easter Sunday for my birthday lunch. We were a group of eight- six adults and two children. We received a very warm welcome and had a quick pre-lunch drink in the beautiful 14th Century bar before being shown to our table. I struggled to choose a dish from the menu as they all sounded really interesting. I finally decided on the sea bass with artichoke and broad bean risotto served with a delicate curry sauce. It was absolutely delicious, perfectly cooked and the hint of curry was a surprising twist. My husband ordered the steak but had enquired about the hog roast. The waiter very kindly brought to the table a large tasting plate for us to try. The crackling was exceptional. The staff always appeared at the right moment. they offered non-alcoholic cocktails for the children, which they loved. Throughout, the staff were well-informed and able to answer questions about the food and had extensive knowledge of the wines. I didn't think I had room for a pudding but I couldn't resist and managed to have a taste of everyone else's. When the bill came I thought they must have made a mistake. Usually when I eat out in London at a similar venue I would expect to pay twice the amount. Exceptional value - great food - generous portions and excellent service. Despite the long journey from London I look forward to visiting again and have recommended it to a number of friends.

• Visited April 2014