“Food gone downhill in this lovely pub”
Review of Blackboys Inn

Blackboys Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Blackboys
Price range: US$10 - US$31
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Blackboys Inn is a 14th Century public house and restaurant located in the pretty hamlet of Blackboys, situated on the outskirts of Uckfield, East Sussex. The Blackboys Team have been introducing exciting new menus and offering superb hospitality as well as offering traditional home cooked Sunday Roasts. To accompany your meal, there is a superb selection of Fine Harveys Ale and also an excellent wine selection. Whether you want a family Sunday Roast or an informal gathering with friends or even a celebration with an extra special twist, you can be assured of fresh, seasonal food at its best. The Blackboys Team are very sociable and enjoy nothing more than hosting regular entertainment, live music, quiz nights and wine tasting evenings.
Heathfield
“Food gone downhill in this lovely pub”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We visited this pub after a break and found that it had changed hands. Fortunately little has changed as regards the ambiance and decor and it is a very attractive place. There is a good selection of Harvey's ales, all well kept and the welcome and service were good. However, the food was a disappointment from what is has been in the past. My husband had the pie of the day - pretty average - with a substandard batch of vegs. The mashed potato resembled "Smash" and the broccoli should have been pre-fixed with the work "resurrection" in that it had probably arisen after three days of death. Whatever, it had been heated up at least once before. My starter of asparagus with poached egg was average and the green salad accompanying it was fresh but spoiled by a too vinegary dressing which I could have sworn had come out of a bottle but was assured was made in-house. A pity.

2 Thank Paula N

lewes
“we were all happy”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

4 of us went to The Blackboys Inn I've eaten there before so I was remembered by then staff we booked by e-mail and had a returned phone call to confirm , once you open the door you were greeted by the smell of a log burning fire and old oak beams give a wonderful atmosphere to the Inn, 2 of my friends started with whitebait one between 2 would have have been ample ,the quality of the food is very very good , the plates are extremely hot this could be dangerous as it was passed to i almost dropped it ( I should have been advised before being handed the plate )apart from that all was 100% and my friends will be visiting it again as I will be on Sundays food is served all day and evening its worth a visit

Hove, United Kingdom
“Superb meal”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We arrived late in the afternoon after a trip to London, sun was shining and lots of people sitting outside in the beautiful gardens.
We arrived for a very late lunch (4.20pm) and were very happy that food is served all day!
Ordered a starter of dry cured venison, artichokes and olives to share, then one main of sea bass with spring onion mash, asparagus and butter sauce and another main of crayfish, apple and celery arancini with a walnut salad and tomato dressing.
All food arrived very promptly, was absolutely delicious and good value for money.
We are bikers and were not made to feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.
An excellent country pub that is already on our list of favourites!

1 Thank Loraine B
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value for money”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

What a nice afternoon after a morning walking in Abbots Wood, we arrived at 14.15 to a garden packed with people and a very accomplished singer/guitar player playing al fresco. We went into to the bar expecting a wait, suprise! we were served immediately by a very pleasant member of staff. I chose from a very good selection of beer and my wife had a soft drink, we both ordered the salad of Salmon, crab, new potato and asparagus. We found a table in the sun and only waited about 15 minutes before it arrived. It was a good size very well dressed and tasty, all in all a very good eperience, we will be returning for a full meal very soon.

Sheerness, United Kingdom
“Scrumylicious”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I eat out regularly and having been a chef myself, we can be very critical. We had three courses each all different and I have to say there was not a single element of any dish that we could fault. The ingredients were all fresh, seasonal and cooked to perfection.
The beers pristine, the wines excellent and the service impecable.
We never felt rushed but were not left waiting either, the timing of service by the friendly and knowledgable staff was spot on.
Having 3 top quality courses under £30 per head including drinks we both agreed it was excellent value especially with so many eateries theses days charging Michelin star prices for only average 'pub grub'.
If you like a nice English country pub, appreciate excellent food, and enjoy a well kept pint of real ale look no further. The Blackboys Inn has it all in spades