“Surf's Up!”

Northside Surf School
Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Amble
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn To Surf/Stand Up Paddle,lessons and courses for all ages. Lessons on various beaches along Northumberland coast...Private beach road access to exclusive wave spot!! KIDS Bodyboarding/Surfing parties,STAG n HEN parties, GIFT vouchers available. Wetsuit,surfboard and bodyboard Hire available...Also online shop selling all surfing equipment!!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Surf's Up!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Where to start....

My girlfriend gave me a Living Social voucher for Northside Surf in December as she heard me talking about when I used to surf (use the term very loosely) and thought it would be good for me to have a professional lesson.

From the off I have to say Jon was very accommodating! I called to get booked in and that wasn't an issue, as it happens I was vooked in for 14th June (am) and was going to be travelling about 40 miles. Just as I was about to set off Jon called to advise there were no waves and did I want to move to the afternoon. (Could have let me turn up and taken advantage of the poor breakers to skive but didn't! )

I spoke to Jon again on the afternoon to confirm all was on, indeed it was.

The meeting point is Merco filling station, Amble. I was first there followed by a guy and his daughter then a car of 5 teens/early 20's. Then Jon arrived, typical surfer dude with the laid back attitude and the boards on the van. Jon told us to follow him and I understood why as we wouldn't have found the surf spot otherwise!

When we got there and kitted up, Jon lead us to what he described as 'possibly the best beach on Earth', in honesty, he wasn't far wrong!

After some very simple but sound advice (catering to all ages of the 8 strong group - 10 yr old to late 30's), we were in the water.

I thought it was a case of talking the talk hut then Jon took a board, rode a wave and absolutely rocked it!

We were in the water for about 90 minutes and I was shattered! Quiet beach with great waves, no rocks and belting heat, what more could you want.

Great instructor with 20+ years surfing experience shows. Down to earth and very approachable, a great instructor.

If you haven't surfed before and would like to try, give this guy a call and it will be the best 2 hours of your life on water! If you do surf, try something else - Standup Paddle Boelarding I think could be my next 1.

A great experience and worth the time (if I had paid myself, worth the money too)!

Awesome!

1 Thank Pugz02

Edinburgh
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My sons and I booked a 2 hour lesson with Jon over Easter 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. This was the second time surfing for me, but the first for the boys (aged 7 and 9) and Jon was patient with all of us and an enthusiastic and effective teacher. I finally managed to stand on 3 waves despite the surf being very low and the boys had a great time body boarding.

We've been referring to the younger one as "a wee little gargoyle" ever since the trip as this was Jon's memorable description of him with his hood on!

Thanks very much for the experience, and I would completely recommend Jon and Northside to anyone wanting to give this a go.

Ben

Visited April 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Dave's Groupon deal good to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Great location, great instructor.
Did a groupon deal November 2013 fantastic deal
Three teenage girls first time surfing all managed to catch a wave and stand up for a short spell, the coldest part was getting changed once in water all were fine. Will return for more fun, girls found it fantastic fun. Two hours is plenty for first time especially in november. Location is perfect for walking and bird watching or just beach coming as quite remote to get to, don't forget your camera.

Visited November 2013
Langholm, United Kingdom
“Astonishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Excellent surf school with a first class instructor, Jon really knows his stuff! Fantastic learning opportunites with tailored lessons! Il be back again for sure!

Mark latimer

Visited February 2014
County Durham
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Had a really fun first surfing lesson! I've had a go at stand up paddle boarding before but wanted to try real surfing. Possibly slightly crazy opting for a surfing lesson in the North Sea at the start of November (!), however the wetsuits were really good and once we were in the water it was fine! Had so much fun. Jon was a really good instructor and appears to really enjoy what he's doing. I didn't manage to stand up unfortunately however am now left addicted and totally want to try again. I will stand up!! I would definitely recommend Northside, Jon was really good and very friendly. My friend and I had a great afternoon. Will definitely go back for another lesson.

Visited November 2013