“Needs work.”

Ranked #4 of 47 Restaurants in Ripley
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Sea fish Restaurant and takeaway situated at 68 Cromford Road, Ripley, Derbyshire. After working in the trade for the best part of thirty years, old friends Panny and Andreas had an idea to join their expertise and combine some of Britain's greatest traditions... Their dream was to create a fish and chip shop style restaurant and bar, where families and friends could come and relax whilst enjoying delicious food and great service. Since their initial idea, Panny and Andreas passion and hard work over the years has built a strong foundation and a well-earned reputation both locally and beyond. The Seafish restaurant offers varied cuisine from cod fillet and seafood platter through to tuna steak and swordfish steak supreme. We have something for everyone's tastes, for those who may not fancy a fish dish why not try one of our other main courses, we have a fantastic selection from Gourmet Pie of the Day and Luxurious Fish Pie through to Luciano's Lasagne and a choice of flame grilled burgers. Fully licenced establishment and with ample free parking the friendly team at Seafish take pride in serving only the best ingredients in order to produce food of the highest quality. So, why not sit back, relax and enjoy yourself, whilst our top quality chefs prepare your food to the highest standard. Whatever the reason for visiting Seafish restaurant and takeaway, whether in passing for a chippy tea or for a comforting home cooked lunch or evening meal, you will always receive a warm welcome from Panny, Andreas and the team, we look forward to seeing you.
Reviewed 7 October 2013

There is little hope for the fish and chip restaurants in the UK if the Seafish is, as it claims to be, one of the best in the country.

Whilst the food was not bad, it was not particularly enjoyable either. The batter on the fish was exceedingly greasy and the companion's mash potato was unmistakably from a packet mix or frozen pellets. (Which seems, frankly, bizarre since thousands of potatoes must go through that kitchen, what with being a chip shop and all).

The staff appeared to be stretched to their limits, up to and including management. It certainly seemed to be an underappreciated and overworked workforce which of course, is a recipe for disaster. This did bring down the atmosphere. Saying that, the barman was very pleasant and seemed to know his cocktails. Our waitress was also nice though we regretably do not recall either of their names. Though the staff were outwardly pleasant i felt there was some underlying tension with regard to treatment by higher authority. It could be that, or the fact they work in Ripley.. I couldn't possibly say for sure.

As a side note, I felt the decor was all a bit tacky. Though that is my personal taste and should not affect anyone judgement.

If the Seafish wishes to consider itself an anywhere decent restaurant, it should endeavour to work on these points I have raised. They may seem minor but these are the things which should make a restaurant one of the best in the country.

2  Thank NANGEL197

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We have visited a few times but the service is appalling, we got asked for our order 3 times, the waitress didn't even give the order in. We had to wait ages for the meal, very amateurish...the staff need training properly and they need tables allocating so they are not all doing the same job. The attire of the staff is not very pleasing either. Its a shame because it could be really nice if it was run properly. :( Other people were being given the wrong orders aswell, it was not just our table.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Would have given terrible, but as we didn't get to eat just put poor, if you have got an evening to waste queuing, then waiting for a drink order, then the drink not coming, then someone else wanting to take an order for food which we was told would be at least 40 minutes as salmon takes longer? (god knows how they where going to cook it) then this is your place, we decided to leave. Pity as we have been here quite a few times and had decent meals, but it looks like the impending stardom has gone to their heads.

1  Thank Galair
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Living not too far away, we decided to pop in for tea. We were greeted warmly and shown to a table. There were a number of other people which added to the ambiance. We had starters and mains. I was surprised with how cheap everything was!! The starter was ok and the fishpie was nice but nothing to write home about. I'd say if you want a cheap meal visit here. We are not sure if we'd visit it again as there are lots of other restaurants in the area.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

This was a very good fish and chip restaurant, but the past couple of times I have been disappointed.

I had to argue the bill on the first occasion, as I was given the wrong order(they tried to claim it was what I had asked for), then charged extra for gravy (what sort of restaurant asks if you want chips AND gravy, but doesn't say you have to pay extra if you ask for both?). I ended up standing at the front of the restaurant having an argument with the manager - was it really worth doing this to them? If one of the owners of the restaurant was there, I'm sure it would not have happened.

The second time, they weren't that busy but the food took an age to arrive, and was pretty uninspiring. My fish mixed grill (£10) had items missing compared to the person I was with who ordered the same thing.

They currently have banners up outside saying they are in the top 14(?) fish restaurants in the country. But with it being run by staff who are all very young and obviously on minimum wage, I can't see it staying that way. They obviously don't like working there.

It saddens me to say this, but I won't be back.