“The worst experience in a long time”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Gingerbread Hotel

Gingerbread Hotel
Avignon, France
“The worst experience in a long time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2007

How would you like to pay USD195.- plus 17% service and tax to get a room with no view, situated on the ground floor under the kitchen of the restaurant with no hot water in the bathroom basin, an old shower, worn out bed sheets, very noisy A/C and Fridge and loud people of the staff screaming and laughing at all times?

Yes! We were very disappointed by what seems to be one of the best hotels on the island of Bequia. I have lived in the Caribbean for 3 years now and I have been travelling around quite a bit. Hotels are expensive but most of the time you get more or less value for money. Not this time!

I had visited the Gingerbread Hotel earlier and I had found the rooms quite nice, all facing the ocean with a nice balcony, and the price of USD 195 plus 17% felt almost reasonable… So I decided to spend the week-end with my wife on the island and called the Gingerbread. I was told the hotel was fully booked and I had already found a room at the Frangipani next door when the Gingerbread calls me back to say that indeed they have a room available. With the remembrance of what I had visited in mind, I immediately cancelled the Frangipani and confirmed at the Gingerbread, looking forward to a honeymoon week end…
The Gingerbread told me that they would charge my credit card in advance in order to finalise the reservation. I had no objection of course.
When we got there, we understood why they had charged in advance. My wife and I would have left immediately otherwise. The room was situated on the ground floor with no view, under the restaurant kitchen. We could hear every step of the staff in the kitchen and also their laughter and screams (we’ll never know why they had to shout at each other) simply very loud people. We were flatly told that there was no hot water in the bathroom basin but that we could use instead the basin of the kitchenette. You should have seen the kitchenette; simply very old and somewhat dirty. The shower was quite old as well and my wife could hardly turn the taps on and off. At first the A/C was not working but they fixed it and then we realised how noisy an old A/C unit can be, not to speak of the fridge that we had to unplug as those two were competing to see which one could be overheard. The nice thing about a noisy A/C unit is that it sort of covers up other disturbing noises.
When we uncovered the bed at night, we thought the sheets were stained but a second good look showed that they were just worn out… We decided we had enough for a day and switched off the lights (yes they worked).
The next day we go to the breakfast room. The breakfast was decent but we were only surprised when we asked for butter and were told that the toasts had already been buttered… We did not have to pay extra for the breakfast. Was it because we had complained about the price of the room? We’ll never know.
If you ever go there, avoid room 7 at any cost.

• Liked — The location of the Hotel
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Flipper3845

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2006

After an unpleasant night at our planned accomodation (Sugarapple) we walked in to the Gingerbread & loved what we saw.
Ended up staying 6 nights. It is spacious, nicely decorated & the large tile bath was super (hot water a bit sketchy.) The kitchen was small & a tad old but it was all we needed. Whenever we had a problem (no hot water, ice maker quit etc.) it was fixed promptly. Only odd thing was when I reported that there was no hot water in the kitchen, pat told me there was no hot water - that dishes are santized (when I asked how to do that) by pouring on some boiling water or lime juice. Later when we real;ized there was no hot water in the bath either, that got fixed (they rely a lot on solar but have a back up heater) & we then also had it in the kitchen again. Hmmm.

The daily maid service was friendly & efficient & much appreciated.

Yes, there were mosquitos but there are no screens or a.c. in 99% of the accomodation on this & many islands. The bed nets worked well & we were not bothered at all.

We loved sitting out on our porch overl;ooking the harbor - had many meals out there. Bugs not bad even after dark. Music from nextdoor bar only a problem 1 night a week til 11. Worse was last our last night when there was pounding bass from across the bay ALL night long (a Christmas celebration we think.)

We ate 2 dinners at the restaurant & both were wonderful, especially the shrimp curry. Lots of other nearby restaurants & bars to walk to, as well as all the shops & even the ferry to St. Vincent. Water taxis to Lowere Bay were great.

All in all, a super, laid back vacation spot. Dont miss the day on Friendship Rose to Tobago Quays!

• Liked — Location, size of rooms
  • Disliked — Kitchen facilities
  • Tips/Secrets — Yes, bring bug spray!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Braden
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2006

I was in Bequia from July 20 until July 23 and it was fantastic. Really, really beautiful. We stayed at the Gingerbread and it was really quite charming. We had a ground floor suite that was very spacious. It was clean, staff was friendly and the view was lovely. I would definitely recommend the Hotel. We never ate at the hotel - we have friends on the island who own a restaurant - Tommy's Cantina - fabulous.

Marsha Watts
Toronto, Canada

• Liked — Very pretty
  • Disliked — NA
  • Tips/Secrets — they do not accept Amex
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MarshaWatts
Troy NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2006

For reasons that I will not go into, my wife and I had to find an alternate to our original Bequia hotel, and wound up with an “economy cottage” at Gingerbread – the more upscale rooms in the main building were all taken. This was behind the main hotel and a bit up a hill. It had a very large living room, a normal and a small bedroom with mosquito netting, kitchen, and of course bath. It was clearly old, but clean and looked after by the maids quite well – although it was interesting that in the adequate supply of towels provided daily, I don’t think two ever matched. The main drawbacks were no air conditioning (two floor fans were provided) and no screens; hot water was also problematic. Keeping the louvers open for the breeze let in bugs, and the sun made it very hot at the end of the day. Unlike the other reports before and after our stay, we did not find the mosquitoes excessively abundant, although they certainly were present and could have been worse with wetter weather. We did not look at the newer accommodations, and although we could have changed to one of them toward the end of our 6 days, we did not feel that it was worth the effort. One advantage of our location was that it got less noise from entertainment at nearby establishments, that we were warned could be annoying in the main building. We only heard anything 2 nights, and that stopped around 11, but it could be a concern on season.

We ate twice in the main restaurant and thought the food was very good. There is also a small “café” with an outdoor sitting area on the waterfront that was a very pleasant place for breakfast or a drink. We had no issues with the staff or their attitudes at any time during our stay. The hotel is within an easy walk of other restaurants and the main business area. Should we return to Bequia, we would consider staying here again, but not in an “economy cottage” unless it was refurbished (SCREENS!)

Bequia is small and laid back, and not a destination for everyone, but if you know what “unspoiled Caribbean” means and enjoy it, it is very nice..

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank caribseeker
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2006

Gingerbread is one of the better looking places on this beautiful unspoilt island. However, beneath the surface it is disappointing.

First, the staff (restaurant, catering, management and service) have far too much attitude to be working in the service industry, both rude and disinterested

Second, the room facilities are poor, with problems with each of the shower, toilet and sink in our 'luxury' room. When this was bought to the attention of manangement, it was just met with a shrug of the shoulders

In general, hotel accommodation in Bequia is poor and Gingerbread does little to help raise the standards

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank Sleep-on-da-Beach
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2006

Spent 5 nights here in an upper floor room which was spacious, had a great view from a large balcony across the bay but was infested with mosquitos. The nets on the bed were not decorative but a lifesaver. Even so my wife was bitten to bits. The hotel staff, and particularly the management were unwelcoming and unfriendly. I thought the hotel was expensive at $150US plus tax and service charge.

We would not stay here again.

Bequia is a quiet island, off the tourist path, although frequented by many yachts. Amenities on the island are few but this was the Caribbean we wanted to see and we enjoyed our stay on this small largely unspoilt island. Beaches are easily accessed by water taxi. There are a few other hotels and restaurants around the bay but Gingerbread is generally reckoned to be the best on both counts. The Gingerbread restaurant food was poor but better than any of the other meals we had on the island !! The hotel room had a small kitchen and we often ate in rather than have worse food out for more money.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank FDFLONDON
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2004

We spent the first week of our honeymoon in the Gingerbread on Bequia - our first time in the Grenadines. It was fabulous, the apartment had everything we needed. One negative was the mosquitos. Even the with net, Deet and everything else I tried, I got eaten alive but it was the "rainy season" - late May. But with no a/c and the room open to the elements it was unavoidable.
Staff were very friendly and welcoming and the restaurant was great too. Took a great taxi ride round the island - with Elson - who was fantastic and very proud of his roots! Bequia is unspoilt, extremely relaxing and friendly. Great frist taste of the Caribbean.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Old Fort, Boutique Hotel & Estate
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
#1 of 17 in St. Vincent

Been to Gingerbread Hotel? Share your experiences!