“Pimp hostel!”
Review of Hostel 156

Hostel 156
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose Metro
Hostel 156
Reviewed 16 November 2012

After traveling for 2 months in Central America, this is definitely the BEST hostel my girlfriend and I have stayed at. The guys that run the hostel are really helpful, there's a great kitchen and the rooms are bright and airy. And everything is super clean! Good wifi... not too far from the super market... and the area feels very safe. If you need somewhere to stay in San Jose - look no further!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave G

Reviewed 16 November 2012

When we first arrived at Hostel 156 we fell in love with it right away. The old converted colonial mansion is absolutely stunning, from the grand stairway in the entrance to the spacious and cozy common areas which are decorated in beautiful modern furnishings that beg you to sprawl out, pick up a guitar or book, and just relax. There is a fully stocked kitchen, a large dining area, and a lovely courtyard with trees and handcarved original woodwork throughout. The whole place has this classy comfortable air that makes you feel like a king and never want to leave. The building is very clean and well kept, the staff is enormously helpful, very friendly and laid back. Clean quiet rooms and the most comfortable bed I have ever had at a hostel make this my number one choice for San Jose. Not to mention the great location, close enough for a 5-10 walk into downtown, near some great restaurants and cultural sites, and away from the noise and grittiness of city life. I can't say enough great things about this place, stay here and you won't regret it!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We only stayed a short time but the guys that run the place are so lovely and really watch out for you. The rooms were super clean and comfortable (the beds are adult size, quite a luxury when staying in hostels all the time). No complaints, all I can say is stay here you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Any it's great!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We heard about Hostel 156 from another traveler in Costa Rica who told us it was a great new place so we decided to stay a night while passing through San Jose on the way to Panama. Beautiful old mansion in a nice neighborhood apx. 10 min walk to pedestrian mall shopping area (Avenida Central?) in central city , lots of beautiful woodwork and great design, high ceilings and tranquil courtyard garden. Very clean common areas, nice bed + linens, excellent kitchen. Comfortable sofas and board games in the lounge +ping pong make for social atmosphere, but mellow-- not a crazy party hostel. Huge maps on the wall of city, region and CR to help you get you bearings if you've just arrived in CR. Staff is very friendly /knowledgeable and will to help you organize onward travel plans and recommend things to do in the city and beyond.

I could keep going about how much we liked the place but i'll just say I've probably stayed in ~200 hostels/guest houses/budget hotels in a many countries around the world and Hostel 156 is in my top 10

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Me and my two friends stayed here after touring Costa Rica and Panama. This was hands down the cleanest hostel we stayed in. It is a nice old house that has both dorm style and private rooms.

We had a private room with a queen bed and a bunk bed. The room had a private bathroom and the shower pressure was incredible! Very refreshing.

Jean Carlo called a cab for us and always took the time to answer any questions we had. I wish we stayed here instead of the Costa Rica backpackers the first night!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed at another hostel in san jose when I first arrived (based on an outdated lonely planet guide) and moved to this place based on trip advisor reviews, and it was a great move! The staff here are super friendly and helpful, nothing seems like a hassle. First hostel during my 2 months in central america where my breakfast of toast, coffee and fruit was bought to me at the kitchen table and then my dishes taken care of!
The hostel is new, super clean, roomy, bright and homely. Kitchen fully stocked.
Great location, 10 min walk from downtown.
I have used the hostel as my base while I have done multi day trips around Costa Rica. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My partner and i stayed at this wonderful hostel a couple of days ago and could not recommend it highly enough. Thankyou to the truly fantastic staff, you are excellent in every way. The hostel has a great feel to it, the rooms are light, airy and clean (white sheets and towels). The shared bathrooms were cleaned regularly and were absolutely spotless!

The whole place is just great. The kitchen is stocked with everything you would ever need and there are two lounge rooms, a dining room and an outdoor terrace. We woke up late every morning (as you do on holidays!), outside of the breakfast times. Despite this, the staff made us breakfast of toast, fruit and coffee. They are just so helpful, they advise places to eat and print out maps if you need them. Nothing seems like too much trouble. For the price, this hostel is amazing, it is everything you could want. Im really glad we stayed in this area, it feels a lot safer than directly downtown however, it is around a ten minute walk if you want to go there.

This hostel felt like a home, and could not improve on anything. It is the best on our six month journey so far. Thank you to the amazing three guys, you are awesome!

Room Tip: private rooms are great
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple