“Very good breakfast, comfortable bed”

Savoro Restaurant with Rooms
Ranked #1 of 3 Barnet B&B and Inns
Shropshire
“Very good breakfast, comfortable bed”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My wife and I stayed 1 night B&B at Savoro - our choice influenced by the generally positive comments on Tripadvisor. Our experience was good overall - with some reservations.

Positives: Excellent breakfast (unlike an earlier reviewer, we were offered extra coffee and toast); very clean bathroom and bedroom with comfortable bed. The restaurant was very busy when we checked in at about 9.00pm, so clearly a popular venue for eating.

Negatives: Not very good sound insulation in the new extension where we were located (Room 24), so quite noisy - a lot of door closing, tramping up and down stairs and noisy chatting late at night, I suspect caused by customers and/or staff leaving the restaurant. This could be improved by laying carpet on the stairs to the bedrooms and corridors, instead of just the noisy laminate flooring, and also asking staff and customers to be more considerate for residents by keeping the noise down when they leave.

Unfortunately, at check-out we were not asked if our stay was satisfactory - if we had been asked I would have mentioned the above points.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My friends and I meet here for lunch about once every month. The service is usually impeccable, particullarly when the owner is there, and the set menu is value for money. The quality of food is always very good. I have never visited during the evening, but a nice crowd of people frequent it during the day.
A couple of people I know have stayed there overnight, mixed reviews, but nothing terrible.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Could not find it as although the address says high st, it is set back Inbetween two other businesses. One of the staff did actually direct me in over the phone as i had driven up and down at least 5 times. Car parking at back of building so had to drive right around the block again then it was extremely tight to park. I had to take my case through a busy restaurant to get to my room and even though i had guaranteed my room on a credit card was asked to pay there and then infront of restaurant guests! Food was good and well presented though. Room small but modern and clean, very cold but soon warmed up once the radiator fired up. Breakfast was in the restaurant, well presented if limited. The thing that really irked me was that I asked for a third cup of coffee ( cups very small and served individually) and received a mouthful from the waiter who informed me that I should have only been allowed one cup of coffee with breakfast! He said he had given me a second cup out of courtesy but I should not be allowed a third. He informed me that they used a very expensive machine and coffee was made to order. I did say that the expense of the machine was not my problem. He then showed me a tin of Nescafé and said that if I had wanted a large pot he could have used that. I was flabbergasted. He then said that he was just following managements orders! I travel all over England, Scotland and Ireland and every hotel I stay in makes fresh coffee for breakfast. He did reluctantly make me a third cup. The B&B rate was not inexpensive! I have never heard the like!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We spent one night at the Savoro as visiting relatives in the area. We had a good night sleep at the rear of the hotel, nice big bedroom, bottled water for each of us and lovely toiletries. Breakfast was good. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Rustington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Me and my fiancé were very pleased with this hotel ,very pleasant staff and the food in the restaurant was excellent ,rooms were clean we would deffo stay again .loved the under floor heating in bathroom and I also liked the idea of them having bottled water in the room

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I have never been in a restaurant with such poor accoustics, my wife and I couldn't hear each other at a table for two, sitting opposite each other
Food was ok, nothing special, and when my wife asked if ahe could have an alcohol free coctail (due to being on a course of anti biotics) she was told "oh no,we like our alcohol here,"!!! So she had to make do with a diet coke. Also, they do not cater for gluten free diets, it's bread with wheat, and nothing else!
Couldn't quite figure out the waiter policy, ours seemed to rotate every 15 minutes, and we'd end up with someone else serving our table.
In summary, we have only just moved into the area, heard so much about this restaurant, so my wife decided to book a table for as as a surprise to me....all I can say is the surprise was just how average this place is, and we wouldn't put ourselves through all that noise again, espaecially when it was topped off by loudspeakers balring "Happy Birthday" to someone. All a bit tacky really for a place that really is a bit pretentious for what it is. Not a good experience, but a big 'thank you' to my lovely wife for the thought!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2013

So, I stayed here with my Girlfriend (whose rather fussy with her hotels & B&Bs) over Dec, into Jan to catch the Fireworks in Central London. Firstly, theres a few rumours mentioned by other reviews which live up to its name - its definetley one of North Londons 'best kept secrets' as you cannot fault the price. Also, the restaraunt is excellent, both award winning for its fish, and generally is excellent for everything including breakfasts and ground coffee. As with many BB's however, the addition of accomodation has been added as an afterthought, and bar the delux superior suite (with four poster bed) we stayed in, which was roomly and overall nice (more on that in a moment) I understand the other rooms are quite small.

Our room however, was excellent, and its fustrating when they do so many things right, like installing a fridge, top quality bathroom accessories, a safe, decent hangars, tissues, a decent kettle, and overall laid out nice) is marred slightly by some damp issues above the wardrobe and the floors scuffed because the doors havent had rubber grommets fitted, which whilst only cosmestic, takes away from the experience. The bed (whilst not my preference as its too soft) is comfy so its fine for most people, you get some nice blankets, it was very clean, the bathroom extraordinarily immaculate, I mean, seriously I've never seen grouting so white!!!!

I dont understand why they dont spend some cash and upgrade the TVs though, most people expect at least a 32" and its not like there's not any room. The cheap freeview is also quite poor, an upgrade to Sky Digital, or at least offering Netflix or something wouldnt go amiss either.

The hotel, the staff, overall it was very very good. Its the details I find fustrating but I really cant fault it. I wish I could somehow talk to the owner and plead with him if he did so many small things, the place would be epic.

Oh, let's talk about the noise. When I stayed, there was scaffolding and a badly pinned tarpaulin, so with high wind the noise was staggering, and without this issue, I felt noise isolation to be quite poor anyway, as the rooms are all so close, but again this is structural so am not sure what can be done here without modifying the wall structure.

The restaraunt wasnt too noisy late at night, (but remember the restaraunt is their main income source so it gets preference) and its location is superb, ten minutes from High Barnett Tube Station and High Barnett itself is epic. Get a taxi to the Cock & Dragon nearby, and treat yourelf to some Thai.

We're going back, and staying in the best room, I just hope they address the few but small problems.

Room Tip: There's only a few rooms, pay extra and get the four poster,