“One of the worst meals I've had in ages”

Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar
Ranked #8 of 123 Restaurants in Barnet
Price range: US$19 - US$64
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tucked away inside the West Lodge Park Hotel, the Mary Beale Restaurant and Bar provides an elegant but unpretentious setting for any occasion. Enviably located close to Trent Park and Hadley Wood, the dining room is a traditionally stylish space with huge windows letting in plenty of natural light. Executive Chef Wayne Turner and his team use locally sourced produce to create seasonal British dishes and a selection of snacks and light options which are served in the bar. We recommend the organic salmon with dill risotto and the Sacombe Hill Farm beef fillet with mushroom gratin. Why not treat the family to the Mary Beale Restaurant's legendary Sunday lunch, or sample a glass or two from their excellent wine list?
London, United Kingdom
“One of the worst meals I've had in ages”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Absolutely awful! We arrived.....my starter was goats cheese....quite literally a slab of hard goats cheese slapped on a plate with a sprinkling of salad leaves and a squirt of dressing. Too dry and practically in edible as a result. Main course was salmon.....very average. Deserts.....awful. One of our party couldn't work out which one was banana cheesecake and which was tirimasu as they were both so bland. When the banana cheesecake arrived, we worked it out! This restaurant is probably good if you are senior in age (as most of their guests are) and have a very bland food preference. Unless you fall into that category, don't go!!

4 Thank LadyPrimrose
Andrew B, Owner at Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
This is a very unfair report on the Mary Beale Restaurant, not constructive criticism really, although I take the point about the goats cheese which sounds as if it was straight from the fridge, rather than left to soften for a while.

However to make a comment about the age of the clientele and their tastes is, to put it mildly, not a very nice thing to say in a restaurant review.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, but we had plenty of positive feedback from other guests on the same day that you were in.

Regards,

somerset
“pleasant but could be so much better”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We had lunch a few days ago and all agreed that we had eaten reasonable well but the service was awfully slow and disorganised. It was a shame that the specials board was not pointed out when we were given our menus. Food was very slow to arrive, the bread basket was stale. In an effort to hurry things on, we ordered dessert and made our coffee /tea order. After a further delay, the coffee was served before the dessert! We arrived at 13.00 and left at 15.10.Rather a long time to consume 2 courses and coffee.The dining room was also uncomfortably hot.

Visited April 2013
Andrew B, Owner at Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Oh dear, I have nothing to say except profuse apologies for what should have been a straightforward meal.

Would you be kind enough to email me your name, and the date and time of your booking. That way I can investigate more fully and will come back to you afterwards with a more detailed response.

Thank you so much, and sorry once again that we did not look after you as we should have done.

Please do get in touch.

London, United Kingdom
“a taste of burgendy gourmet night”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This is exactly what the evening was. five coarse meal with a appropriate glass of burgundy wine with each coarse.
The wine and food was excellent and the service was very good. This restaurant is true to form and has never let me down.

• Visited April 2013
Andrew B, Owner at Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you for your kind review of the Burgundy evening at West Lodge Park.

I am glad you enjoyed this gourmet night, and it was a pleasure to serve you.

We have a Taittinger Champagne gourmet dinner in August and an Italian gourmet evening in September, both marrying up delicious food and the finest wines from the area.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to The Mary Beale Restaurant in the future.

London, United Kingdom
“Attentive staff excellent service!”
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

I've been to lots of restaurants especially in hotels. But the service in this one is excellent. Why I say this. This is not pretend "how was your meal" it felt genuine a genuine pride in the food and the presentation and service. The chef should be complimented on the food which was of a high standard for hotel food. I certainly would come here and pay full price. And as for the waiter. A young person who is going places. Patrick is one of the best waiters I've ever had.
I don't understand some of the bad reviews on here I really don't. There's just not many establishments run like this anymore! Well done!

• Visited April 2013
Andrew B, Owner at Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about West Lodge Park Hotel, and here about our Mary Beale restaurant.

I was particularly pleased in your comments about Patrick Jankunas who has come on leaps and bounds with us, and is a credit to the hotel.

It is by far the happiest part of the job, to see young people like Patrick being given significant responsibility early on in their career and to see them take on that responsibility and grow as people into their roles.

Do come again soon, the Mary Beale restaurant is open every day for breakfast, morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner !

With kindest regards,

London
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

I was a little reluctant to try the restaurant after a disappointing hotel stay last year but it was my birthday so we gave it a shot. All is forgiven! The food was wonderful and I wish I'd been hungry enough to try dessert. Full marks to the catering and serving team, all of whom did a great job.

Andrew B, Owner at Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for your kind review of the Mary Beale Restaurant at West Lodge Park and congratulations on your birthday !

I am relieved we didn't disappoint, and am only sorry you had no room for dessert !

Do come again, it would be a pleasure to see you again, whether for a special occasion or just because we are nearby.