“Perfect Anniversary”

Price range: US$19 - US$63
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tucked away inside the West Lodge Park Hotel, the Mary Beale Restaurant and Bar provides an elegant but unpretentious setting for any occasion. Enviably located close to Trent Park and Hadley Wood, the dining room is a traditionally stylish space with huge windows letting in plenty of natural light. Executive Chef Wayne Turner and his team use locally sourced produce to create seasonal British dishes and a selection of snacks and light options which are served in the bar. We recommend the organic salmon with dill risotto and the Sacombe Hill Farm beef fillet with mushroom gratin. Why not treat the family to the Mary Beale Restaurant's legendary Sunday lunch, or sample a glass or two from their excellent wine list?
Northampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect Anniversary”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Lovely setting, friendly and efficient staff, excellent food and wine. Pianist was an extra special touch - all in all we had a really lovely evening. We would definitely return.

Visited August 2014
Andrew B, Owner at Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for posting your experiences both here and on the West Lodge Park Hotel site.

It was a pleasure to look after you, and I am so glad you appreciated Paul Jaffa, our resident pianist for well over a decade at the hotel.

Do come back down the M1 to West Lodge Park in the future !

With kind regards,

“Disappointed”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

What a shame. Had our wedding reception here 10 years ago and have been to several functions since and taken advantage of the great value Groupon offer several times. So this was our first choice for a small birthday celebration. When making our reservation I advised them of severe food allergies of one of the party. On arrival, I mentioned this to man who showed us to our table, he told me to let the waiter who took our order to know. I did this however I did not feel he appreciated the seriousness of food allergies and so I spoke to the original man again. When the meal arrived it included food which I had specifically said she was allergic to. Eating out with an allergic child is worrying and to have mentioned the specific allergy 4 times and yet still be given it suggests a real lack of care and attention to the needs of the customer. The allergy meant that there were very few desserts that could be ordered, ice-cream seemed to be the best choice, however, as the restaurant were unable to locate the ingredients list for the ice-cream, i decided it was best
not to order, we were offered a fruit salad.
Overall, the food was average and no better than a local carvery although far more expensive. Service not great, we ordered wine which the waiter rushed off to get without asking what other drinks we would like. With 2 children clearly we would want something other than wine. We were offered no condiments, though other tables were and when drinks were finished no one asked if we wanted more.
Overall, very disappointed as we have some lovely memories of West Lodge. Many restaurant chains are able to accommodate food allergies; I expected more from West Lodge.
I've noticed that the manager becomes rather defensive when responding to the not so favourable reviews, and whilst his loyalty to the hotel and staff is admirable, I do hope the
issues raised in this review are taken seriously.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Gorbivandana
Andrew B, Owner at Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
I am sorry you were disappointed with both the food and the service in the Mary Beale Restaurant.

Please understand that we do take allergies seriously, and for whatever reason, we messed up with your order.

I apologise on behalf of all the staff, and am glad only that you have had plenty of other good memories of West Lodge Park over many years, so hope that the one time when we didn't handle your order correctly won't spoil your overall feeling for the hotel and restaurant.

We will do better on your next visit.

Regards,

Borehamwood, United Kingdom
“Excellent dining at Beales”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Excellent food, service and pretty dining room with a booklet available to learn where your food comes from and the food miles involved.

Visited August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post reviews to this site and to the West Lodge Park site.

I am so glad you enjoyed your meal in the Mary Beale Restaurant.

It is so near for you, and we are open every mealtime of the year so pop by whenever you want.

Kind regards,

London, UK
“Excellent family dinner”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We had a small family celebration at West Lodge Park. We were really well looked after. The service was excellent and the staff were more than happy to let us linger at the table after the meal. Food was a lot better than I'd expected based on other reviews, and believe me, I'm picky! I'd certainly fully recommend it.

Visited August 2014
Andrew B, Owner at Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your kind review of the Mary Beale Restaurant.

I am so glad you were well looked after by the team and that the food was above your expectations.

Without wishing to sound at all complacent, (after all we are only as good as the last meal served), we do cater for many hundreds of happy guests each week, only a very few of which would ever think to post a review to this page.

What I am saying is that one often has to look beyond Tripadvisor for an assessment of a restaurant, and not be too swayed by a few bad reports, which any restaurant will receive in the course of a year.

My hunch is that there are very few really bad restaurants out there, the vast majority of people working in this business as owners, chefs and waiters are eager to please their guests, and work really hard to give satisfaction.

Do come back for your next family celebration, we are open for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner every day of the year !

With kindest regards,

Enfield, United Kingdom
“Good restaurant”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Good old English "silver" service. Professional but not uptight and/or off putting.
Lovely food to a very high standard, drink and company.
Fabulous terrace bar/patio especially in this recent heat wave.

Visited July 2014
Andrew B, Owner at Mary Beale Restaurant & Terrace Bar, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review of the Mary Beale Restaurant at West Lodge Park Hotel.

I am glad you have enjoyed your meal with us. The heatwave has certainly brought people like yourself out and the kitchen team have been under a bit of pressure but we have got there in the end.

The beauty of the Mary Beale Restaurant is the possibility of walking one's lunch or dinner off with a stroll round the 35 acres of the Beale Arboretum.

In this heat, the shade of the thousands of trees is even more welcome !

Do come again soon, you are only local and we are always open !

Kind regards,