“Good position, next to the cinema.”
Review of Fresh Fry

Fresh Fry
Ranked #25 of 123 Restaurants in Barnet
Price range: US$11 - US$22
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London
“Good position, next to the cinema.”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

It was busy when we arrived. We had decided on an early dinner and someone had recommended this for quick fish supper. Very elderly customer base, or so it seemed, which was actually more comforting than not.
the fish in batter was greasy and had a slight after taste. I do not think my fish was particularily good and my wife's grilled fish had a horrid smell to it. the service smacked a little of false sincerity that seemed to be loved by the customers around us.
We regularly visit Toffs in muswell hill and Skipjacks in Kenton, Harrow..Both always excellent first division players, this barely makes the third division.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank jam855

London, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The food here is great, especially the grilled plaice, or the battered haddock which is always more than big enough.

The restaurant is not somewhere you'd go for a night out as its more functional cafe style, but for what's on offer it's perfect. The take away is excellent too.

My main niggle would be that they serve tea by the cup rather than by the pot as they do in Yorkshire.

This is a great fish and chip reasturant, which is only fractionally beaten by the Golden Hind in Marylebone.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank TheProfessor_2012
London, United Kingdom
“Always a warm welcome and fantastic fish”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Our family has been going to this restaurant for so long that we have seen the children of the owners grown up whilst learning the trade. Since opening their newer establishment right next to the Odeon Cinema they are among one of the best fish restaurants I have been to. There is always a warm welcome and polite, friendly staff to take your order. It's a family run business which means there's also a keen eye kept on everything that is going on. The fish is fresh (none of this frozen stuff) and there is a complimentary starter to tide you over while the order is being fried. We have sometimes sat for two hours with the politeness of a cup of complimentary tea sent over. But, if the place is packed and people are waiting for a table, then we leave, which is the commonsensical (and polite) thing to do. We have always been told when a table is needed for a certain time because of bookings and that's fair enough. The fish is great the atmosphere is great and the fact it is always packed has to say something. Top marks from our family and friends.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Carol451
London
“great fish great atmosphere”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Fresh Fry is buzzing pretty much any time you go there both for the restaurant and takeaway section too, which is part of the main restaurant, so this won't be the place for you if you want a quiet/romantic/lengthy meal. If you want great fish and a good atmosphere though then its ideal. Someone has mentioned a problem with tables being needed. I have been going to Fresh Fry for years and never had a problem. The owner is really friendly (it's a family run place so the owners are always there) and if he needs a table for a booking he will let you know when you get there, then its your choice to eat up or leave. Personally i have never felt rushed but, like I say, Fresh Fry isnt somewhere I go for a 'night out' and my family usually find we aren't there much more than an hour anyway. You get a free salad before your meal which is a nice touch (and its yummy; chopped with Greek parsley and a good dressing), the fish is fantastic and so are the chips. This is a place my family and I keep coming back to and it gets a big thumbs up from us.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank ro-royce
London
“It is a little quirky but well worth if for the spectacular fish!”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We eat here a lot - probably once a week or so, the decor is a bit eighties, the tables laid out like a canteen, the walls a bit bare and there is a lot of 'magnolia', the staff lack something in communication skills and perhaps organisation, things do get forgotten - and I can see how the previous reviewers situation would have arisen, but I'm certain they mean well! Nevertheless the key factor is that the fish is certainly fresh, you get truly huge portions for your money and most importantly they double cook the chips, they have a bargain set dinner which 95% of the clientel seem to enjoy. The wine list lacks a bit of variety but overall if you want big portions, beautifully cooked fish and great value then I don't think there is better in North London, for me its avery strong reccomendation - but I would book to be sure as they are often full.

• Visited April 2012