“Possibly the best fish and chips in the UK” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 114 Restaurants in Barnet
Price range: US$11 - US$21
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Possibly the best fish and chips in the UK”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Go to the fresh fry if you want massive helpings of the best quality fish cooked to perfection. It will be served to you by a really enthusiastic team who are welcoming, keen to give you good friendly service and really proud of the the food that they serve.
Do not be put off by the surroundings or the decor. To be polite it's at best basic but clean and comfortable.
The owner's son proudly told me that his Father only sourced the fish that they serve from the Norwegian and Scottish sea, he also personally checks all of the fish to ensure it's quality.
Fish Fry has been in business for over 30 years and it deserves to be there for another 300 at least.
Simple honest quality served with pride, a delicious experience.
Enjoy !

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kenneth B

“Fish, chips & a film”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Situated, in the parade, next to the Odeon cinema in Barnet .Plenty of parking in the slip road in front of the restaurant for cars and Zimmer frames.
As we approached the restaurant, other cafes and restaurants on the parade were practically empty, but this one was heaving. Ideally situated for a meal before going to the cinema in the evening, but we found it closed after the film. Booking a reservation is a must for an evening meal.
Staff were friendly, polite and attentive, and quickly took our drinks order followed by our food order
A vast choice of fish dishes, fried in batter or charcoal grilled, served with salad, chips or baked potato. For those who are really hungry, there are several very reasonably priced set menus, which include a starter, fish dish and a dessert.
Portions are enormous, but cooked to perfection whether fried or grilled, One of the best fish and chip restaurants I have had pleasure to eat in. There is also a take away attached
If you have a freedom pass, please show it ..... there isn't a reduction... but you will feel more at home,
All in all, great food, great portions and great value, A definite must.

Cannesdid ......surfingsyd

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Syd M
Seaford, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC FISH”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Visiting a Cousin in Barnet, we were taken to the Fish Fry for a meal, three of us in total.
Having a preformed impression of a Fish & Chip Restaurant, I was a wee bit apprehensive, but those fears were soon allayed with the quality and presentation of my meal which was the Charcoal Grilled Cod with Chips and Salad Garnish. It was superbly cooked and the best piece of fish I have had in ages. My fellow Diners were also full of praise with their meals, so I guess you get nine point nine out of ten brownie points, as nobody is perfect!
I concur with some of the comments about the décor, but come on it was very clean and a nice atmosphere and excellent value for money. I was so full I didn’t have room for a Dessert and I can assure you that doesn’t happen too often and I am also usually very hard to please and here I am on “tripadvisor”!
Another slight/minimal problem as mentioned by another reviewer was the language problem, as we had ordered two teas which never turned up and I would also we were not hurried in any way.
All in all a very pleasant experience and I shall be back the next time I am in Barnet. Congratulations!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank David C
“Very best fish and chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

We consider ourselves lucky to have probably the best fish and chip shop in the south. We've tried so many over the years, some have come close but unfortunately nowhere near as consistent as Fresh Fry.

Fish and chips are not a cheap meal anywhere these days, particularly in London. But if you want your fish guaranteed, then this is undoubtedly the best place to get it.

We've been customers of Fresh Fry for a good twelve years. Occasionally we've eaten in the adjoining restaurant. If you fancy a good old-fashioned sit down meal, again of excellent quality, this is the place. Tables have cotton covers, and thankfully no Formica!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Grovesey
“Good fresh fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Read previous reviews and have to add we've NEVER been rushed, the fish is delivered daily so it's good and fresh. Our friends had their fish grilled and waxed lyrical, I went for good old fried Haddock which was huge and hugely enjoyable. They have set menus, if you prefer [most unusual] that are well priced not like others in the Finchley area that charge way higher with substandard fish and unfriendly. the owners son is charming, he helped me with my coat, how often do you see that and was full of warm smiles? If you are looking for old style fish and chips you'll not be let down. Again, most unusual, we didn't reek of fried food, no smell at all.

• Visited April 2013