“Excellent local pub grub for all the family”
Review of The Gate

The Gate
Ranked #5 of 123 Restaurants in Barnet
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
“Excellent local pub grub for all the family”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Having lived in Barnet for many years, The Gate is a place I have wanted to visit for a while. It has a great local reputation and I now realise why.

Deceptive from the outside, the pub has a plenty of space both in and outdoors.

The food is a great mixture of bar snacks to full meals. The portions are huge so I would advise smaller eaters to either have one course (and don't expect to eat it all) or 2 starters.

I had a chicken salad with prawns and was a amazed at the quantity of prawns plus the size of the griddles chicken breast. My husband had pasta with meatballs which also included a portion of home made garlic bread. There is a full menu of steaks, salads and pasta dishes plus the usual Sunday roast. Puddings too are huge - we never got to one as we were too full after our mains.

The only reason I haven't given The Gate a 5 star is that they don't take bookings and I prefer to book a table especially if I am coming with a group.

The food is served promptly and the staff are very friendly and helpful. As with many pubs, you find your table and then place your food order at the bar.

The outside space is great and you can also sit under cover outside so can shelter from any showers but still be in the fresh air.

Great place to pop in to and know you are going to have good grub.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Eva D

London, United Kingdom
“Good pub food”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit since the Gate was refurbished. Quite the best tasting beef wellington I have had ever drinks reasonably priced too. Only downside is ordering at the bar

2 Thank garston1
London
“Pity they don't take bookings.”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Great place for a meal. Nice to eat outside if you have kids who want to run around. Food very good in my opinion - loads of choice. However The Gate can get very crowded and it's a pity you can't book a table in advance.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank mattingley12
London, United Kingdom
“Average Pub Food”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We thought we would try this Pub Restaurant again. We ate outside this time as the weather was mild, the eating area outside is very good, plenty of seats and spaced out so you don't feel as if everyone is on top of you, very pleasant setting indeed.

The four of us had some good main courses, burgers, chicken etc, all very nice and agreeable, Nothing amazing really but to be dinning outside, the staff where good and helpful. Nightmare to park but if you go down the side street it will save you wait for a slot in their car park.

All in all nice.

• Visited July 2014
london
“really yummy”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is a great pub. I love the beer garden but also the inside. Its big enough that it doesnt feel cramped.
The food was really delicious.

• Visited August 2014