“Always Very Enjoyable!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnet
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My husband and I have visited and stayed at West Lodge Park several times over the past few years and we felt it was high time we added a review of this lovely hotel. We have never failed to enjoy the splendid grounds and the old charm of the hotel itself. We have enjoyed many meals in the Mary Beale restaurant including dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea with delightful trays of scones, cakes and sandwiches. Our rooms have always been comfortable and spotlessly clean and we have found the staff efficient, warm, welcoming and ready with a smile.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Thank you for your kind comments following several stays and visits to West Lodge Park.

I always value comments from guests who have seen the hotel in different seasons, perhaps different times of the week, or with different staff on duty.

I am glad we have always come up trumps during your visits and have delivered a consistent service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to West Lodge Park soon.

Beales Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed 6 November 2011

Spent a wonderful night at this hotel celebrating Bonfire night with a group of very special "old" friends. From start to finish, we found the staff exceptional - friendly, courteous and "organised". The room (No. 3) was very comfortable and superbly equipped with lots of special touches, and a lovely, large modern bathroom. Bathrobes and slippers thrown in, we felt that the hotel Management and staff pay a great deal of attention to detail. The reception for the function was excellent with champagne and canapes aplenty, a very fine meal, a brilliant band that had us all on the dance floor, and a wonderfully attentive staff that ensured our glasses never ran dry. Thrown in, we had a spectacular fire work display, and all in all, we had a fantastic evening. Thankyou to Dave the General Manager and his wonderful team, for an unforgetable stay - we will definately be back, and have no hestation in recommending this venue.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Davidson007

Thank you for your kind comments following the bonfire night dinner dance at West Lodge Park on the 5th November.

I am so glad that you had a good time on what was a busy night for us all.

It is sometimes difficult to meet everyone's expectations at this kind of event, but I am so glad that we did for you, and that despite the general busyness, that we were able to look after you and your party so well.

Come back for Burn's Night in January, and enjoy some haggis, neeps and tatties, along with the Ode to the Haggis by Robbie Burns !

Reviewed 1 November 2011

First visit to this hotel. Staff was excellent. Room was very comfortable. Grounds were beautiful! Food was great.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Thank you for your kind comments about West Lodge Park.

I hope that you have had a good journey back to Utah with happy memories of a very English hotel.

Do come again the next time you are in the UK !

With kind regards,

Andrew,

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I have recently stayed at your hotel and was impressed by the welcome I recieved by all the staff. I encounterd the receptionist who checked me in was very polite and professional.
My room was warm, homely and had a lovely view over the garden the personal touches were very welcome the biscuits and water was there waitng for me in the room.The room was clean and I had a very good nights sleep I had dinner in the restaurant, it was very nice I had the seabass which was very nice and cooked to perfection.I didnt feel out of place as a woman dining on her own I opted to have the souflee for dessert which was a welcome treat.
My stay was over too quickly and I would gladly stay again

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

Thank you for your nice review of West Lodge Park.

I am particularly pleased that as a woman dining alone, you did not feel out of place at all (and why should you ?).

During the week the majority of our evening diners are probably alone, travelling on business.

Do come again, on your next visit to this area.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 October 2011

My husband and I have returned from a weekend at the West Lodge Park, feeling quite disappointed. We have stayed in many 4/5 star hotels as well as country hotels around the UK and abroad.
I booked this two night weekend break a few weeks prior for my husband’s birthday and also friend’s wedding, which wasn't at the hotel but was local. I was recommended your hotel by our sister in law who stayed for her wedding night and another friend who came for her fiancé birthday.
The drive up to the hotel was lovely even on a cold afternoon and we couldn’t wait to see the hotel itself, the interior is beautiful and we thought our room would be too. We were in a classic room we did have a view of part of the grounds.

Our bed was very hard and uncomfortable, the plasma wasn’t working properly as new parents we couldn’t properly sleep as still in the mode of waking up every couple of hours, so we put the TV on to watch a movie but it was going on and off the volume was awful and then we could hear the next rooms TV which was on full blast.

The bathroom had an awful bath mat which was full of limescale, pink not cream anymore and a pink coloured ribbon was around it!, was this meant to be tasteful there was no way we were using this even if we had a bath, which we didn’t. One of our pillows had a stain on it. The shower curtain was also awful black from the mould and mildew at the bottom seriously needs to be changed or fit a glass shower door. Also when I moved the bedside table I found underneath a dead ladybird and a lot of dust, so i felt there was no way this room had been cleaned properly.

We were looking forward to a full English breakfast the next day so we ventured down to the restaurant just after 9am, the food was cold, from the beans, to the bacon being dry and sausages were awful in taste certainly not cooked enough. The main thing that did bother me in here was the way you had to pick up toast with your hands to put in the toaster surely tongs should have been provided to pick the bread up and a second pair to collect them out of the toaster once toasted, then watching a waitress take slices out of the bread bag and place in the basket this was very unhygienic I felt.

The next morning, Sunday we decided to have breakfast in bed, and asked for the sausages and bacon to be cooled well, we ordered this for between 9.30-10 it came at 10.10 I did call to find out if we had been forgotten and was told most of the hotel had ordered for this time and it was on its way. Well when it arrived I wasn’t shocked to find most of our order was cold, beans, bacon rock hard and cold, hash browns cold, toast luke warm, mushrooms cold only thing hot was the tea, but no sugar was provided and not enough milk for us to have cereals and our tea.

So to say the least I don’t think we will be staying again and I’ve attached a couple of pictures for you to see.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andyjo
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

This review was sent to me as a private email, but before I had a chance to reply and to right the wrongs experienced by this lady, she had posted the same comments on Tripadvisor.

Naturally we take all criticism seriously, but in this instance feel very sad that nothing was said by this lady to our management team at the hotel in order for us to have a chance to rectify any deficiencies in our housekeeping or food service.

For information, the beds at West Lodge Park are all new within the past two years, being Hypnos deluxe pocket sprung hotel quality beds - a far higher specification than is usually found in four star hotels.

Bath mats are provided so that guests can choose to use them if they wish when taking a shower. Hotel showers are notoriously slippery so this extra facility is on offer if needed. If it needed a better clean, then of course I apologise.

All the TVs are brand new Samsung 32" Freeview LCD TVs with added Sky Sports 1, 2, and 3. They are of superb quality, with over 100 TV and radio channels. This is the first time I have heard any comment about the tuning of these TVs, but a simple call to reception would have ensured one of our maintenance team arriving promptly to adjust the tuning.

I think the comment about tongs being needed at the toaster is petty - of course we can provide tongs. She only needed to ask !

If the lady's room service breakfast was too cool, then of course I apologise, but again, a simple call would have resulted in a hot breakfast being brought to her room.

This review implies that West Lodge Park Hotel is dirty and old, with badly functioning equipment and services. I refute this impression completely, and would urge all our Tripadvisor readers to read other reviews below this one to get a more rounded impression of this wonderful hotel which is consistently in the top ten in Hertfordshire out of over 130 hotels.

And finally, a plea to our guests to talk to us during your stay when anything is not up to standard - our assurance is that it will be fixed immediately for you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I have been here several times already and I particularly like the family atmosphere with books in the room and the yellow duck in the bathroom.
The Park is magnificent and the staff is very friendly.
Metro station Cockfosters is nearby and the only downside is that the walk from this station is a little over a mile. Most of the times I haven's seen a taxi and enjoyed the walk.
Whenever I go to North London for business I like to relax in this hotel.
One of my absolute favorites!

Room Tip: I have had several rooms and they were all fine
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MrCats
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Thank you for your wonderful review of West Lodge Park.

I am always particularly pleased to read reviews when one of our guests has stayed on and off over the years, and has always found good service and a warm welcome.

It is relatively straightforward in hotels to get a one off event right, and to wow everyone present.

What is far harder is to continually deliver good service over a long period, allowing for staff holidays and days off.

Strength in depth in a hotel comes from being able to deliver the same standard no matter who is on holiday, and I am so pleased we have proven ourselves in this case.

By the way there is a minicab office inside Cockfosters Station which is open from 6am until the last train back from central London around 1am, and I have always found it straightforward to get a cab back to the hotel from there at very reasonable cost.

Do come again to this lovely hotel - it would be a pleasure to welcome you back !

With warm regards,

Andrew

Reviewed 3 October 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 1 night this weekend and had a wonderful time. From the moment we arrived the service was impeccable and our whole stay was very relaxing, Highlights included sitting out on the terrace for a spot of lunch and bottle of champagne, dining in the Mary Beale restaurant and enjoying the piano music and delicious food and taking a stroll around the lovely gardens.

Only downside if there was one is that you are so close to the motorway so traffic can be heard from the gardens. Also the room was particularly hot at night (due to hot weather!), although we appreciated the fan that was in the room.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of West Lodge Park on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that the amazing indian summer weather was happening while you were at the hotel.

And glad too that you enjoyed Paul Jaffa, our resident pianist, who plays on Friday and Saturday evenings, and Sunday lunches.

The road noise that you heard is not actually from the M25, which is more than a mile away in a cutting, but comes from the Cockfosters Road outside the hotel. My father Trevor remembers playing as a ten year old boy on his bike on this road in the 1940's. How times have changed !

For your next visit, the quietest parts of the hotel estate are towards the front of the building overlooking the lake, and into the top field where you can walk over acres of mown grass, visit the hotel beehives, and enjoy the amazing peace and quiet of the Enfield Chase while listening to the skylarks overhead.

Do come again to this lovely hotel, perhaps in cooler conditions this autumn or winter.

Andrew

Beales Hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnet
Beales Hatfield Hotel
Travelodge London Whetstone
#522 of 1,077 in London
Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel
De Vere Theobalds Estate

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!