“Lovely traditional hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
coventry
“Lovely traditional hotel”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My husband & I took our parents for a night for fathers 90 the birthday . We had bought a deal on amazon , we have to say perfect for what we wanted, friendly staff, lovely spacious bedrooms, everywhere very clean & professional ! We had afternoon tea lovely, drinks in the bar before our evening meal were splendid served by lovely friendly bar team, the 3 course meal was presented beautifully, the basket of bread gorgeous, the food was very good although lacked a little seasoning in our opinion, wine was a little over priced! Service was great! Slept wonderful! Breakfast...... What a disappointment food quality lovely but buffet for cooked breakfast should not be in such a lovely hotel, we wanted service, unfortunately food was luke warm served on luke warm plates such a let down!!!! Went to settle bar bill at end of stay expecting £88 ish had a shock £246 but receptionist sorted it but if that had been our parents paying the bill at their age would of just paid it & not questioned it!!! Restaurant needs to sort out bills correctly!! All in all had a lovely experience would give you 5 rating if you served breakfast at the table hot & new carpets required throughout ! Sadly could not walk round your glorious arboretum due to weather!! Thank you & congratulations to your wonderful staff they all deserve a pat on the back or a pay rise !!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jfoxy69
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your detailed review of West Lodge Park following your visit with your husband and your father's 90th birthday.

I am pleased that we looked after you well, and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Regarding breakfast, if you (or indeed any of our Tripadvisor readers) want to have your breakfast entirely served at the table, then please just ask one of our waiting staff.

We can bring you toast, or a full English breakfast, or eggs cooked to order, or whatever you want.

A sizeable majority of our guests prefer the buffet style with everything to hand and instant service, but if you want everything served at the table, please just ask.

Do come again, for your father's centenary in 10 years time, or hopefully a bit sooner ! It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Regards,

Beales Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We had our wedding reception at this hotel ten years ago and regularly visit the hotel.

We took advantage of the Autumn break offer and were greeted by a polite member of staff. When arriving in our room it smelt of cigarettes so although this wasn't particularly a problem I did advise a member of staff as I had signed a piece of paper on arrival to say if we had smoked in room there would be a £100 fee. The receptionist apologised for this.

The room was nice and cosy and relaxing, although the bathroom could perhaps do with a refurb but again not a problem.

We visited the bar area at lunchtime which had a nice atmosphere with people having afternoon tea, lunch and drinks and polite efficient staff.

The gardens are as lovely as ever and are lovely to have a stroll around.

In the evening we had our evening meal which was as good as previous visits with excellent quality food. My only slight negative would be that the restaurant appeared to us to have a segregation of people on the 'offer' with less experienced staff looking after them and full paying customers with more experienced staff. This may not have been the case but this is how we felt. We were also told even after booking a table there would be a delay in taking our order as they had just took four other tables orders which we felt a little odd considering they would have known what tables they had booked and staffed for this accordingly? Having said all this the quality of food was worth these slight niggles.

Breakfast was again of good quality.

The member of staff at check out was friendly but when I was given the bill there was an overcharge of £80 I pointed this out and she apologised and corrected the bill.

As I say a few slight niggles but overall a lovely hotel and excellent value.

On another note I brought my elderly nan to the hotel a few weeks back for lunch in the bar area and again the staff were efficient the food of good quality and my Nan had a fab time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for your kind and detailed review following your recent stay at West Lodge Park.

I am very pleased that you find the hotel as lovely as ever, some ten years on from your wedding day.

And pleased that your grandmother had a good time a short while ago.

Reference your various points :

a) Sorry that your room smelt of smoke, this is very unusual but there is a small minority of persistent offenders (usually I am afraid to say from overseas) who insist on smoking. If this happens again, please just ask reception for a change of room.

b) Bathroom refurb - I am not sure which room you were in, but we are currently refurbishing the bathroom in room 63, and will then be doing 57, 61, 24, 25, 29, 20, and 21 at a rate of one every 3 or 4 weeks. We are also in the process of refurbishing bedrooms 71, 32, 20 and 21 over this winter period as well as the long corridor in our Chestnut Lodge.

c) Segregation in the restaurant - no absolutely not the case whatsoever, our Mary Beale restaurant is divided up into three separate areas so that each area has some intimacy, but it is the same menu, same food, same staff, same service throughout.

d) Overcharge on the bill - sorry about this but I am glad it was resolved immediately.

Do come again, certainly for your 20th wedding anniversary, but hopefully before then too !

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Just had to write a review to say what an absolutely fantastic lunch a friend and I had here today! I had booked a table for 1pm and on arrival was shown to a lovely table in the restaurant. The staff were very attentive and looked happy. We had Sea Bass as our main and it was cooked to perfection and was absolutely delicious, the bread basket they give you was full to the brim with different breads obviously freshly prepared. We then both had Date crumble which was well worth the calories as it was lovely. We then ordered a cup of tea and it came in a nice big pot, with some delicious chocolates. The restaurant was busy, but the staff were readily to hand and we did not feel rushed in any way. It was just lovely to relax and enjoy the lunch. I was very impressed with the service. On leaving we waited in the reception lobby for our car, and even then a staff member came to ask us if we were okay and needed anything. A truly wonderful afternoon, and we will definetely be returning!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Wow, what a super review, thank you so much !

West Lodge Park is a lovely place to have lunch because of the unlimited free parking, the great food and the kind staff.

We are currently running a lunch from £10 offer Monday to Friday, with main courses, + a basket of artisan breads and unsalted butter at £10.

Very soon we will be putting up our Christmas decorations, (yes it is that time of year already) and then the hotel is transformed into a winter wonderland, and turkey and Christmas pud will be appearing on the lunch and dinner menu !

Do come again soon, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back to West Lodge Park !

Sherfield On Loddon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was the second time we have stayed at the hotel. We took advantage of a Saturday night Autumn Break Offer which is excellent value.

Our room was immaculate and overlooking the lawn at the front of the property.

Dinner was as before delicious and although the restaurant was very busy, the service was attentive and all the restaurant staff were friendly and efficient.

Indeed one of the many great features of the Hotel is the staff. From Reception to Room Service everyone is courteous and responsive and always happy to help.

We'll be back soon. Thank you.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the front of the Hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for your kind review following your second visit to West Lodge Park.

I am so delighted you have enjoyed both visits and found the staff the factor that makes the difference.

Of course a long established family business will always have a different atmosphere from a chain hotel where the staff tend to change with great frequency.

In fact as I write, I am just about to celebrate one of our team's 40th anniversary since starting work at the hotel !

Marion Taylor, who looks after many hundreds of banqueting guests at the hotel, started in 1973 - a fantastic record but just one of many very long serving members of staff.

At our last long service staff lunch, over 780 years of service was in the room, represented by 54 members of the team with an average of over 14 years each, a record unsurpassed in the hospitality business.

Do come again, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back again for a third visit.

Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed on the 20th October for the evening to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary ,
We booked the autumn package I believe which included room , 3 course dinner , breakfast , for £110
Have to say well worth the money , infact surprised it's so cheap ,
It was excellent the room was nice , the dinner was superb we were both so pleased with our meals , great service , even had a Piano player whilst eating which must say topped it off just brilliantly he even played mine and my wife's wedding song which I had asked really made our night ,
Bar area is nice to we overdone it on the drinks which I regretted in the morning lol , but you only celebrate your anniversary once a year so think I can be forgiven ,
Breakfast was superb next morning and must say well needed ,
We would not hesitate to book again both so pleased
Thanks West Lodge

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Congratulations on your first anniversary, and I am so glad you were able to celebrate it at West Lodge Park.

I am also delighted that our resident pianist Paul Jaffa was able to play your requests - he is a superb asset to the team, and now plays during Sunday afternoon tea as well as Friday and Saturday evenings and Sunday lunch.

With plenty more anniversaries to go, there are any number of excuses to come again to West Lodge Park - it will be a pleasure to welcome you both back.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at West Lodge in September (2013 ) . The first thing that grabs you are the grounds - magnificent . The Arboretum is a joy to wander around . We had an executive room overlooking the front . It was smart and comfortable with the added feature of a small walk in ward robe which left more pace in the room proper and also housed the tea and coffee facilities . Breakfast was excellent . We were there for a Murder Mystery night ( which in itself was brilliant ) and our evening meal was part of that package . All 50 diners had the same food and I was expecting something ordinary but in fact the food was superb . Served well , piping hot , wonderful steak and every course was cooked to a very high standard . The staff are very welcoming and helpful . I would definitely return . They are located close to Hatfield House which is a must see for anyone staying here .

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike W
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park following your stay with us for a Murder Mystery evening at the hotel.

I am delighted that the evening went off well - my experience of these events in other hotels is that frequently the food is secondary to the evening, and while the actors work hard, the impression is that the hotel has been counting the pennies.

Our view is that any special event we put on should have the same quality of food as any one else is having. I hosted a wonderful concert evening on Friday night with the Allegri String Quartet, and while the music was quite exceptional, so too was the food.

I agree with you about the unmissability of Hatfield House, a quite superb Elizabethan mansion, and still lived in by the Salisbury family to this day, generations later.

Do come again soon, we are planning our Murder mystery evenings at West Lodge Park for 2014 as I write.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had the most wonderful stay at the hotel, we found the accommodation of exceptional standard, the setting idyllic, and so easily accessible from London. The staff are well trained, and dealt with our every need. The food was of a high standard. The gardens surrounding the property is awesome, with great walks, and maintained beautifully. A real gem. Special thanks to David Seward, the general manager, who made our stay unforgettable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park.

I am so delighted that you found the hotel to be ideal for your requirements, on the edge of London, with easy access to all the sights, but with a lovely peaceful atmosphere.

Our General Manager, Dave Seward is from Zimbabwe originally, as you know, but has been in the UK for over a decade now.

We see quite a lot of guests from South Africa over the course of each year, and it is always a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel.

Do come again when you are next over in the UK, and if I am around, I would be delighted to meet you and show you around the Arboretum.

Beales Hotels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnet
Royal Chace Hotel
#473 of 1,067 in London
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!