“Lovely Dining Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Lovely Dining Experience”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited here recently to celebrate a family birthday and enjoyed a wonderful meal, beautiful surroundings and excellent service. It's a lovely location for a special occasion be it lunch, dinner or afternoon tea. If you've overindulged then you can always walk off your meal in the scenic gardens.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank HESLondon
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park.

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us, and that you recommended walking off the meal around the grounds.

We are blessed with 35 acres of high quality grounds around the hotel, perfect for that stroll after lunch or tea.

The Beale Arboretum was founded over 50 years ago by my Grandfather, and now boasts over 800 species of trees from around the world, including two national collections of Hornbeam and Swamp Cypress.

Do come again, whether for a special occasion or just when passing by !

With kind regards,

Beales Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary. The staff really are special. High end service which makes you feel special without the boring stuffiness!
Grounds are impeccable and the whole experience was perfect. The only thing I could say was that thee was no soap in the bathroom- didn't affect our stay and shows how it's difficult to find any fault with this hotel. I will definitely be back as we found a little hidden gem!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TeressC
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your kind review following your stay at West Lodge Park.

I am glad we looked after you so well on your anniversary stay, and can only apologise for the missing soap, purely human error from our normally impeccable housekeeping team.

We are constantly doing up our bedrooms, and are just now in the middle of a big scheme for our rooms 20 and 21, and have just had new chairs delivered to rooms 10 and 30.

Do come again soon, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back on future anniversary visits !

With kind regards,

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I've stayed here a few times and recently arranged to meet someone here for a drink whilst discussing some business and I'm so pleased to see the standards are still excellent with great service with a smile and the feeling that your business is really valued whether you are a resident or just calling in for a coffee.

The food is top quality and I look forward to my next trip to the area and so enjoy the delights of West Park Lodge again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RogerVanstone
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park.

I am so glad you have found our standards to be consistently high, and I was particularly pleased that you felt as welcomed when just having a coffee.

This is important to me as today's coffee drinker is tomorrow's wedding anniversary guest, and thus we try and make everyone feel as welcome despite the size of the bill.

We have been trying to maintain the same standards ever since we opened the doors here in February 1945. We are in our 69th year, and are still only as good as our last meal or last coffee !

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to West Lodge Park again soon !

Enfield
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in January and we couldn't believe how much the standards have slipped since our last stay. The rooms themselves are nice and the staff are helpful. Although one irritating fact is the beds move if you are resting your head on the headboard when readin and you continously have to keep moving the beds back for the same thing to happen 5 minutes later.

We were unfortunate to have a dinner included with the package we got and for a hotel that is supposed to pride itself on food the menu was poor. The main courses were very limited and what you would expect to find in a gastro pub. My wife had the chicken rezala, the popadums were burnt and the rezala was flavoured with far too much pepper. I had the beef bourguignon which was ok but again for a hotel of this standard I would expect to find food of a much higher standard and quality. We went to the Cock and Dragon the night before and the food was of a much higher standard and quality.

We also had lunch which was rather poor, I had a wrap that was adequate and my wife ordered the tomoato soup which looked like a tin of chopped tomatoes had been warmed up and put in a bowl and tasted just as bad! So standards are definetely slipping.

The breakfast was the nicest thing about the hotel but for what you pay you would expect everything to be tasty.

Overall would I stay and eat here again... Simple answer no.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheDudeEnfield
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
This is a harsh review and most surprising to read these comments five months after your visit.

The standards are most definitely not slipping, we are sixth out of 122 hotels in Hertfordshire on Tripadvisor currently.

I wonder whether you said anything to our staff about your food at the time of your stay ?

I am a firm believer in communication between our guests and our hard working staff.

It would be unreasonable, in my view, to complain about the food some five months later, and in the public forum of Tripadvisor, if you said nothing at the time.

The test of a good hotel is one in which, when something is not to the liking of the guests, the meal is rectified immediately and willingly. But we have to know about it, as, sadly, we are not mind readers.

I have never heard of Chicken rezala, and we have never had any such dish on our menu. And for complete accuracy, we have never ever served food straight from tins.

I have been in a leadership position for 22 years, our Executive chef Wayne Turner for over 10 years, and our General Manager Chris Hall for over 8 years.

Oh, and did I mention my co-director, Tony King, celebrating over 43 years with the firm ?

I mention this only to assure all our Tripadvisor readers that standards are most definitely not slipping and, indeed, we are constantly seeking new ways to lift our standards ever higher, as is evidenced by all the awards we win each year.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We arrived at this hotel and the beautiful day really showed off the stunning grounds. I cannot believe this hotel is only 20 minutes walk from the Piccadilly line!, you could think you were in rural Scotland looking at the stunning panoramic views from the hotel.

We were checked in very efficiently, the room was clean and was afforded beautiful views. I agree with the previous reviewer that wifi is important, but I found it fine, not super fast but perfectly adequate for browsing and it was nice that it was free (I think it a travesty that some hotels charge in this day and age!)

The room was very quiet and presented to a very high standard. My only criticism of the entire stay was that we had to use the fan as the room was too warm, this cooled the room sufficiently. We stayed in May so I would have concerns the room may be too hot in high summer as there was no air conditioning.

Without exception, every member of staff was friendly and courteous, perhaps they are aware the owner comments on each review!!! However I think this is perhaps the key to the hotels standards, listening to customer feedback. The breakfast was an excellent standard and freshly squeezed orange juice was a lovely touch.

Overall we were extremely happy with our stay, and if you're wanting to stay near the capital in luxurious and tranquil surroundings this is the perfect stay.

We will definitely be returning......

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarryChuckleTelford
Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park,

I am so pleased that you both enjoyed a happy stay at the hotel.

It is true that we are only 20 minutes walk from Cockfosters Tube station, although we recommend a £5 cab each way as it is a rather busy road.

Sorry if you found the room rather warm, I have alerted our housekeeping team to ensure windows are all open on arrival - we do have 11 Chestnut Lodge rooms which have full air conditioning , and we are just starting a large refurbishment of Rooms 20 and 21 in the main house which will have aircon too.

Do come again when you are next down from Telford, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back to this lovely hotel !

Oakland, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 1 May 2014

For a hotel that prides itself on award winning service and prestige, the failure to deliver reliable wifi / internet service is an embarrassment. The hotel is not resourced well either for internet access or restaurant service when it approaches full capacity.

My criteria for selecting a hotel had to deal with location, a restaurant and internet. On the first night (at over 200 pounds for the room) the internet connection was unreliable. The night clerk advised me that I could use one of the conference rooms - far from ideal - as the connectivity was better there.

I had a long discussion with the manager in the morning. He comp'ed a portion of my meal as a token of good faith and promised to move me to room with reliable connectivity. I agreed to stay for an additional night... the next night, internet was decent through 7:00 PM, barely useable through 8:00 PM and hopeless thereafter.

All in all, my stay was a complete disappointment. If a hotel wants to pride itself on its amenities, then it must deliver on what it advertises. This hotel failed. I hope that the ownership very seriously considers this review.

(This review is being written at a different hotel with reliable wifi one night later)

Room Tip: If you require internet, look for a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Joseph B
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
This review is churlish and overly scathing of West Lodge Park.

We have over a dozen highest spec Netgear WiFi access points throughout the hotel, and occasionally one does go down, a problem with all modern electronics.

Our WiFi expert David Berg came out immediately when the problem was identified, and fixed the bug, as well as organising a new full survey by Netgear of all the WiFi system throughout the hotel to check that everything is performing to the highest standards.

The test of a good hotel is what the team does about it when a problem like this occurs.

In this case we offered our guest a complimentary meeting room to continue his work, a complimentary meal in the restaurant, and a complimentary upgrade to one of our four poster rooms with a strong WiFi signal.

And we have since fixed the problem anyway.

I would also point out that all our WiFi is entirely free of charge for our guests, and with no annoying passwords needed to access it.

This review (and at least one other that this guest has posted on the internet) thus seems churlish and unreasonable in view of the steps we took to resolve his problem following an unexpected breakdown of one of our WiFi access points.

Regards,

Dublin
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed very recently for three nights as working in the area. Such a lovely place, rooms were so comfortable and spacious. So often older houses have that dampness about them; that was not the case here. Well kept and managed, sparkling clean yet in keeping with the period in which it was built.
The best thing was to return to the peace and quiet after a long days work, have a lovely shower and then not even have to go out again as dinner in the restaurant was simply heaven. Fabulous choice, excellent prices and staff were great. Special thanks to the head waiter Matthew who looked after the three of us with such professionalism on each of the three nights we ate there.
Breakfast was good too, a nice selection of hot and cold foods to start the day and capably looked after by Pat from Ireland.
Thanks to all there for a lovely stay. The only bad thing was the simple fact that I had no real time to wander and enjoy more of the grounds and the hotel, maybe next time.

Room Tip: They were all lovely, myself and my work colleagues found no faults.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of West Lodge Park !

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and am glad that you singled out Matthew and Pat for special mention, they are both fantastic members of the team, and I am so proud of them.

We have over 100 staff at the hotel, and at a recent long service award lunch we had over 780 years of service in the room, with an average length of service of over 16 years, something so rare in the hotel business.

It will be be a pleasure to welcome you back, but next time you must make time to walk around the stunning Beale Arboretum, the 35 acres of grounds which surround the hotel !

Beales Hotels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnet
Royal Chace Hotel
#476 of 1,068 in London
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!