“Lovely stay, just a few niggles”

West Lodge Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnet
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Lovely stay, just a few niggles”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed in a deluxe room recently for a wedding. The room wasn't as large as I was expecting, but perfectly adequate and spotlessly clean. Shame I didn't have time to use the Jacuzzi that the room had access to. Drink prices steep, but the quality of the evening meal lovely. The arboretum gets 5 stars. Very well maintained grounds and so peaceful. You wouldn't think you were still in London. A few niggles with the bed comfort & breakfast service.

I know the owner raves on about the 'hypnos' beds, but it was the buttons on the mattress that were uncomfortable, not the rest of the mattress. I took the sheet off in the morning, & some of them were loose, causing them to dig in & resulting in a sleepless night. A topper would have helped, or fixing the buttons.

At breakfast, I was greeted by a huge queue waiting to be served. The hot food is not self- service, just 1 lady serving the massive crowd. Food kept running out, so people hovered nearby waiting. 1 man came back to get bacon. The women serving snapped & told him to go to the back of the queue. He explained he'd already been served, & had been waiting for the bacon to be replenished. She reluctantly served him, but balked when he dared asked for 3 rashers. Absolutely ridiculous system. It might work mid week when quiet, but not when busy.

Did I complete a review form at the time & mention my issues to reception? Yes, on both counts. The receptionist apologised & said they'd look at my comments, and I've not heard a thing back from the review form. I would recommend staying there & hope to go back again, just a shame a few things stopped it being a perfect stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park Hotel,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in the main, and that the arboretum gets 5 stars !

I am sorry about the buttons on the mattress and I have asked our housekeeper Yioda Joannou to come up with a solution.

Our restaurant manager William Lyons apologises for the ropey service you received at breakfast time, this should never have happened and is not representative of the high standards of service at breakfast that we are well known for.

Do come again, sorry for the slip ups from all the team.

Regards,

Beales Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked a meal for Saturday 21st June and started with lovely cocktails in the pretty garden and grounds. We had a lovely welcome into the hotel and excellent service in the garden. The dinner was truly exceptional, the prawns and scallops were perfection. My partner said the lamb chops were the best he had ever tasted and my sea bass was divine. The beautiful piano music made the evening romantic and memorable. We could not fault the food and service and we are hard to please with restaurants seldom getting it right. We would highly recommend you and will definitely be back. Thank you for a lovely experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Gosh, thanks so much for an amazing review.

I have only been in charge at West Lodge Park for 22 years and I would wholeheartedly agree with your comment about restaurants seldom getting it right.

It is very hard to get every element perfect from the initial welcome to the final goodbye, via drinks on arrival, starters, mains, desserts, wines, coffees, music, atmosphere, speed of service, and the bill.

So I am delighted to see that we succeeded for you last Saturday.

We have a brilliant team both in the kitchen and the restaurant, and am so glad that it all came
together for you at the weekend.

The old adage applies in this business, namely that you are only as good as your last meal, so I will await the next Tripadvisor review with trepidation !

Do come again soon, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to this lovely hotel.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Have been to this hotel restaurant many times, having an enjoyable afternoon in the garden, a little disappointed with the service today, only one waitress on and she did try her best, we ordered some food, two of us had the omelette with salad garnish (salad leaves only) with 12 chips, my other friend had Caesar salad, again plenty of salad leaves, but not enough salad, we had desserts which were nice, coffee to follow, all I can say is more staff needed,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ladylucy1980
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park.

I am not entirely clear from your review whether you were in the Mary Beale restaurant or on the terrace outside choosing from our bar menu.

As such it is a little difficult for me to comment in detail, but can only apologise on behalf of all the team for any deficiencies in our service.

Please think of this as a one off, as we do have plenty of staff around throughout the day normally.

With kind regards,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I stayed one night on a groupon £99 deal for dinner, bed and breakfast. I upgraded to a room in the annex and was not disappointed. Very large room with patio and access to jacuzzi and sauna. Dinner was really good and service excellent. Had a great nights sleep very quiet and breakfast was good. Would recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Les F
Thank you for your kind review following your Groupon booking for West Lodge Park.

This exceptional deal has now closed but, for the benefit of our Tripadvisor readers, we do have many other great offers on our website.

I am glad you enjoyed your room in Chestnut Lodge, the recent good weather has made these rooms particularly appealing.

Do come again soon, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel.

With kind regards,

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I got a groupon deal for £99 inc 3 course dinner and breakfast so got a fab deal. We didn't arrive till 7pm but had a nice welcome and staff seemed very friendly. Our room was lovely and spacious with nice views. Food was lovely couldn't complain at all! Drinks were expensive! £15 for two white wine spritzers!! Breakfast was very yummy too with a good range to chose from. The place could do with modernising or Atleast a lick of paint here and there! Other then that couldn't fault really!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your break on the amazing deal - £99 for two with 3 course dinner, coffee, homemade petits fours, accommodation, and full English breakfast. Cheaper than a Premier Inn where dinner alone would total more than £65 by my estimation.

We have two full time painters and decorators at West Lodge Park, who are permanently going round the hotel inside and out painting and touching up walls, doors etc.

In addition we have a full time joiner, full time general maintenance person, full time Estates Manager, and two full time gardeners, and invest well north of £250k per annum on our routine maintenance.

Do come again to this lovely hotel,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Me and my partner came on a £99 dinner bed and breakfast deal. The food was amazing and the staff were polite and nothing was too much trouble.
I paid for a upgraded room with private jaccuzzi and sauna the room was lovely and spacious. My only fault was the bed it had a ridge down the middle which was felt and maybe a mattress protecter could of solved this issue (wasn't really a major problem).
Overall experience was amazing.
can't wait to book to go again.would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Lisa B
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our Chestnut Lodge bedrooms,

The weather has certainly helped these last few weeks, but it is the attitude of the brilliant West Lodge Park team along with the food that would have made your visit special.

We can't always promise rates this cheap, but at certain times of the year they are available.

Do come again soon, it is a pleasure to welcome you to this lovely hotel.

Hornchurch, England
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We booked an Executive room with evening meal for our wedding anniversary and had a great weekend here. The hotel staff are excellent and nothing was a problem, we felt very important. The room was great with lovely view over terrace and grounds. Our meal was top drawer, with our sea bass being the best we have had. The surroundings are great and we spent a couple of hours in the arboretum which was very relaxing. You get what you pay for and this was a real touch of class, we would certainly return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding anniversary, and many thanks for your kind review.

I am so pleased you spent time in the Beale Arboretum - the 35 acres of trees was founded by my Grandfather Edward Beale and we have spent 50 years busily planting each season with dozens of new trees.

We now have over 800 species from around the world, and two national collections of Taxodium (Swamp Cypress), and Carpinus betulus (Hornbeam).

Do come again, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back at the end of October when the autumn colours are at their very best !

Beales Hotels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnet
Royal Chace Hotel
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,105 reviews
Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!