“Groupon bargain”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Groupon bargain”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Wonderful value stayed one night to celebrate wedding anniversary. We were made very welcome and received good service from all staff. Lovely location, with spacious grounds to walk in and near to the M25 for access. Our room was a little noisy as we were above the main entrance and we had to leave our windows open as it was hot. Room very comfortable and it had everything we needed although trouser press not working and shower leaked and shower head needed descaling, so couldn't really be described as a power shower. Food was excellent with 3 course dinner and continental or full English breakfast included in price. Some dishes were extra cost. Food quality and service was good. Piano was being played whilst we were eating which was lovely. Requested a couple of special songs to be played which he was happy to do. Overall a great experience at quality location - a few minor problems with room that did not affect our enjoyment of the stay. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Some noise at front of hotel as other guests arrive and depart.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park,

I am glad you found us to be a great experience at a quality location.

Your points have all been noted and reported to the teams but I am glad they did not affect your stay.

Do come again next time you are down from Leighton Buzzard !

Beales Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

A quiet location but really handy off the M25 and 2 minutes to the tube at Cockfosters- which only takes 35 minutes to central London

Hotel grounds are wonderful with some interesting trees-including national collections!

Staff are fantastic and they all have a "can do" attitude--a bit like the USA!

Food and wine good - we will be back

Thank you for your kind review of West Lodge Park,

I am glad you spotted the two national collections of trees in the Arboretum, these are Carpinus betulus (Hornbeam) and Taxodium (Swamp cypress).

And I was delighted that you mentioned the can do attitude of the team - we have a large and very expert group of people many of whom have worked with us for decades. At our recent long service lunch, there was 781 years worth of service to Beales Hotels !

Do come again soon, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back again.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed for 1 night to attend a friend's wedding anniversary party. We were impressed at check in when we were told by the receptionist that she had changed our room as the one we had been allocated was in the grounds of the hotel, and not the hotel itself. We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the room and were satisfied with the quality. We had paid £102 for room only through Booking.com and felt it represented good value for money. The hotel staff were efficient and friendly and the food was extremely good. My only criticism would be that there was only one person on reception at check out and we had to wait a long time. We were then charged £170 for the room and had to inform the member of staff that this was not the price we had booked the room at. The issue was then quickly resolved. Overall we were impressed with the hotel, the grounds and would recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and would come again,

I hope your friend's anniversary party was a success too.

We have more staff on reception now, but am sorry there was a delay on check out.

Do come again soon !

Essex
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Overall:

Stunning grounds, lovely hotel, friendly, chatty staff, great on site parking. Excellent value from a Groupon voucher @ £99 including Breakfast & 3 Course Dinner

Check In: (2.20pm)

Easy, quick, staff were friendly and good instructions given to find room.

Room:

We upgraded to a room in Chestnut Lodge (£40 extra) which was lovely, very spacious with fridge, complementary mini bar with bottle of wine, chocolates, coke, iron & board, safe, air conditioning, flat screen TV, patio area and use of the hot tub. Bed was comfortable and large, sofa in room with separate walk in wardrobe. Bathroom came with complimentary shower gels, soaps etc. and the shower was powerful and hot at all times. Unfortunately, there was a musty smell on entering the lodge and there were several cigarette ends on the patio on arrival and the tiles were very green through mildew. This could of been easily cleaned and tidied up before hand. However, we slept well and the lodge was very quiet.

Lunch:

Table service in nice settings, Club sandwiches were great but generally the restaurant is pricey with the sandwiches @ £8.50 each. Beer was £5.10 for San Miguel and £7.35 for large glass of wine.

Champagne very expensive for glass or bottle and made me feel priced out of ordering a bottle which had a bit of a dampener on the romantic getaway that we were having.

Dinner:

Again, great settings, piano player was excellent, playing modern songs on the piano was a really good experience and slightly comical as we ended up playing 'name that tune'.

Wine was good @ £19.50 a bottle fot the Rose' and the menu looked great. Unfortunately, my Wife ordered Scallops (which come with a £6 supplement), only to be told 10 minutes after ordering that they had run out. I ordered the Chicken Burger which should of been with chilli sauce and spicy wedges, but it turned up with mayonnaise and chips. Again, this was slightly disappointing.

Breakfast:

Very good, well organised and of good quality. Continental and Full English available with Tea & Coffee.

Check Out:

Took over 15 minutes and was slightly painful. Only one member of staff on reception who looked embarrassed and under pressure which was understandable as there was a queue of about 10 people at 10.55am.

Tips:

Would recommend the room upgrade and also take your own drinks for room. Would visit again if under the groupon scheme. 8/10

Room Tip: Room 90 in Chestnut Lodge is very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, General Manager at West Lodge Park Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you for your detailed review of the hotel.

In regards to your comments on the price of the menu, I think this is a little unfair. Our sandwiches start at £6.50 and include a good sized salad garnish and kettle crisps, the equivalent in M&S or Tesco’s would set you back nearly the same and you don’t get the benefit of beautiful grounds to sit and eat it in. Our main courses in our restaurant start at £16.00 and you would easily pay that in many gastro pubs.

You have a fair point on the cost of some of drinks; we are currently reviewing our drinks prices for the launch of our new lounge menu in mid-September and will actually be reducing the prices on a large percentage of our drinks.

In terms of the scallops ordered not being available ten minutes after ordering, and the chicken burger not coming with the stated accompaniments this shouldn’t have happened and I have addressed this with the team.

For check out there is of course a peak time when everyone tries to check out at the same time. We normally have 2 receptionists on duty and if we do not the duty manager should assist with the check out. I am sorry that this did not happen and have again addressed this.

Chris Hall
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here overnight last night on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis for our wedding anniversary. I did mention this when booking. The 'welcome' on arrival was ok, not particularly friendly and very 'scripted' and no mention of help with luggage. Our room was on the second floor (49), a lovely light room with dual aspect. The bathroom was ok, not very well cleaned - dead flies on shelves, water in waste bins and left over used tissues to add to this. Our experience at dinner was very good, service was excellent and food was average in parts and exceptional in others. The pianist added to the ambience which would otherwise have been lacking. We went for an early breakfast to avoid the queues mentioned in other reviews, the 'help yourself' elements of breakfast were good, with a good choice of food and breads, although the brown bread ran out as one table took the whole loaf! It was about a 10 minute wait for more fresh bread, however, the waiter was very apologetic and friendly. The cooked breakfast was buffet style but served - no idea why as this simply adds to the length of time it takes to serve each person. Seems a waste of time and money having a member of staff serving in this day and age! Check out was ok, once again 'scripted', which meant the receptionist struggled to respond when he wasn't given scripted responses. He made an odd comment about the the pre-authorisation money taking a couple of days to be returned to our account because of the Bank Holiday - a pre-authorisation payment that should never have been debited in the first place! He didn't seem to know what he was talking about but suggested we read a leaflet!! The grounds are very nice, as one would expect with a 4 star country retreat :-) Overall a relatively pleasant stay but nothing special; the hotel is tired around the edges, not quite 4 star and staff on reception would benefit from some customer service training.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park,

I am pleased you were happy with certain aspects of your stay including dinner and the grounds.

We have a person to help on the breakfast buffet because many guests appreciate this - it enables eggs to be freshly cooked to order in front of your eyes.

We take a pre - authorisation which is money reserved on (not removed from) your credit card - this is to cover any incidental expenditure during your stay and is quite usual practice. We have a leaflet on this subject that we give to guests as it is quite hard to explain at reception.

I am afraid I don't agree with your statement that we are not quite 4 star. We have the highest AA rating of any four star hotel in Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Cambs or North London.

Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We booked an overnight stay and upgraded from standard accommodation. We were really pleased with the room which was a very good size and felt luxurious. The grounds were lovely and the staff very helpful. The evening meal at the hotel was really good. Overall we felt it was very good value for money. The only downside was our room was cold even though it was August, however the staff did bring in a heater to us as the radiator in the room was not working so the issue was quickly resolved.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of West Lodge Park.

I am so glad we looked after you so well and that your stay was successful.

I am sorry the room was a little chilly - after all the heat of July, August was a bit of a washout.

The heating goes back on soon, sadly.

Do come again when you are next in the area !

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

As a local in the area it's great having the West Lodge Hotel nearby. With its grand entrance and acres of open space it really does have a lovely country house feel about it. I have not stayed here overnight, but I have visited the lounge on many occasions for coffee, light snacks and also evening drinks. Even on busy days the environment is relaxed and calm, which is a refreshing and scenic change from the usual busy venues on the high street, especially in summer, when you can sit outside and enjoy the sunshine and beautiful grounds.

The meals and snacks I have experienced have all been satisfactory. Although I have not tried it yet, the Afternoon Tea looks really good and I am looking forward to trying it on my next visit.

The very first time I visited I really felt that the service let the venue down, and unfortunately every time I have been back I have never felt any improvement. Although the staff always seem to be working hard away, they seem oblivious to customers’ needs. For example whilst waiting for my friend on my last visit I was sitting at a table for around fifteen minutes and in that time no one offered me a menu or asked me if I wanted anything. On other visits I have had the same problem and it always feels like you have to spend ages trying to get a waiters attention. This area of customer service really needs improving.

Another issue for me is you cannot get skimmed milk here. I actually raised this issue once before and the manager of the hotel assured me this would change, but on my recent visit we asked for 'skinny' drinks and were told only semi-skimmed was available. I do find it quite amazing that a hotel of this standard fails to provide guests with a choice of milk - especially in today's health conscious world.

With a few tweaks and improvements this venue could be fantastic.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NLTG15
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very happy that as a local in the area you find the hotel a scenic place to come for a snack and drink and equally so that you find the service calm and relaxed even on busy days.

In terms of the bar service, this is disappointing that you find getting the attention of the bar staff is difficult to say the least. About a year or so ago we changed the way we manage our terrace and lounge areas so that people come to the bar and order their drinks and food. It may be an assumption on my part but I like to think the staff are not ignoring you due to a lack of hospitality but due to this procedure.

Notwithstanding this assumption however, with hindsight, this policy is not the correct service for a four star hotel and we have reverted to full table service, hopefully on your return you will have noticed and considerable improvement.

We have had skimmed milk in the past but normally waste a considerable amount due to the infrequent request for it, however I shall review this with the executive chef to see if we can solve this for your and the other guests benefit.

Chris Hall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnet
Royal Chace Hotel
#467 of 1,069 in London
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans

Been to West Lodge Park Hotel? Share your experiences!